homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Random Resurfacing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Random Resurfacing
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 18:10      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'ey up all,

Right, ye probably don't remember me, but I thought I'd pop in again for a while. So, it turns out I've gone into major hiding for a while.

I think the last time I even mentioned my life in general, I was planning to go into the academic grad-life. I'm not. In fact, I'm in the big bad working world. Not to sound dramatic or anything, but I figure not walking onto a campus that actually causes your stomach to knot up with vividly-remembered stress is a good Strategy for Life(tm). There was also that conclusion of "If you don't Love It, academia isn't a place to be". So, instead, I'm working for more money than I've ever earned in my life - not that it's necessarily a lot, but I've mostly been on minimum wage summer jobs.

As for the working world, I picked a great time for it too... about 3 weeks after starting, our CEO announced RIFs - Reductions In Force; It turns out I work for a company where it's a noun and the basis for a verb, it's that regular. Still, I get to play with shinies (although, unlike my last time there, I don't get to experience the shinies first-hand or even know which shiny I work with) and UNIX, so I'm relatively happy.

At any rate, I'm still my old politically incorrect self, although I find I have to reign that in now that I'm a place with an equality policy. [Razz] I may or may not have been singing one of the more interesting songs from the Producers outside of the building with a friend of mine, although trying to keep some of the lyrics less audible... for obvious reasons. [Smile]

So, that's the stupidly banal stuff out of the way. The big questions are how I got to even singing that song, and what came before that? You see, before that, a bunch of friends asked if I wanted to go on a roadtrip to Stratford-upon-Avon, and then London. The plan was to smuggle mind-enhancing drugs back for one of the party... well, not smuggle, it's a herb called Gingko Biloba that my friend read papers on about it having anti-dyslexic properties. It's hard to get in Ireland, so there was a trip to get some. Along the way, we decided we were going to stop off in the home of Shakespeare in order to catch a once-in-a-lifetime occurence - Dr Hamlet, and Captain Claudius.

Basically, it's Hamlet with David Tennant, and with Patrick Stewart as the King. For those of you not getting excited about this, you don't deserve to call yourself geeks (although I won't dismiss your right to self-identification). Now, the thing is that it was booked out a year in advance. Tickets on ebay were going for 600 a piece. But they had a really interesting policy - as part of a scheme to increase theatre attendance, they reserved 10 tickets for under-25s to be sold on the morning of the show. Naturally, there were all-night queues. Myself, and the dyslexic aren't under-25, but we were hoping to get returns. We queued all night from about 9pm.

Now, to truly appreciate the scope of this feat, I need you to understand something. In preparation for this, we had to print out maps and the like, and went to bed at about 1:30am the night before. We got up at about 5:00am, to be picked up at 6. We then drove through Dublin, and got a Ferry to Wales (a roadtrip through Wales is lovely by the way - if your GPS offers a scenic route, take it). Then there was the drive to Stratford-on-Avon, which took us up til 5 or 6pm. After getting some food, we took to setting ourselves up outside the theatre. Even at 9pm, we weren't the first there (there was one industrious person in front of us - and I wouldn't be surprised if she was the type to hang out here).

To be honest, the theatre folk were used to this, and know the ilk of their customers (within 15 minutes of the last of the RedEyes arriving there was the question "Do you guys like Firefly?") - there was free wifi in the courtyard of the theatre (Good for the folks with iPhones and EeePCs - there was at least one of each). From about 10pm onwards, until we got the tickets at 10am, it felt like a year; each hour was a month. It wasn't the warmest of places, so falling asleep wasn't an option unless you liked hypothermia. There were about 6 of us (our driver was asleep in the car - we muttered bad things about him), and by the end of it, it felt like we'd known each other a lifetime.

Our under-25 friends got the tickets, and the pair of us not quite making it age-wise got a pair of cancellation tickets. As soon as we left the place, too tired to even feel a sense of accomplishment, we piled into the car, fired up the engine, as did the CD player, with our road-trip music in there; it started off with "We are the champions"... it was fitting. [Smile]

That morning was filled with sleep - already we were cursing our ordeal, which we affectionately called the RedEye. Never again the RedEye, we said. As ordeals like that go, it was TOTALLY worth it. With a bit of sleep behind us, we were suitably ready to see Tennant work his magic. He was spectacular, and sexy. I never quite got the sexiness in Dr Who, but ye gods! I think some of the actors also felt it - the bed scene involved Gertrude a silky nightgown, and when Hamlet wrestled her to the bed, you'd swear it was freezing for her under at least 20 stage lights. I'd happily bowl in either alley. [Eek!]

Overall, it was a wonderful production that made me want to read the play again. Plus, I got to up my geek points saying that I saw Tennant and Stewart play Hamlet - Oh, Picard was good too (he was great, but believe it or not, Tennant really did outplay him that night - whether Stewart was holding back or not, I dunno).

After that, there was London (which is another story, but it's getting late here, so I can't elaborate much), and already we were planning our next roadtrip - apparently it's not that expensive to rent a tank, especially with sponsorship, so nice roadtrip in that would be fun. I explained this to my friend outside of my offices - we broke into song.

On another note, I've now completely lost the hair on my head. There are no active follicles on my head (the sunscreen song should have said "Be kind to your eyelashes, you'll miss them when they're gone") - and about 2 on my upper body in general. If this continues on, I'll not have to shave my legs. But on a slightly un-PC note (I seem to be swinging that way tonight), I've decided that the best way to cope is to laugh. So, I want to try and to do for alopecia what macros have done for cats - Lolopecia. I figure a domain of "IcanHazEyebrowz.com" is the way forward - as soong as I get a half-decent picture of myself, I'll have to share what I'm thinking of. Oh, and at some point, I'm gonna get myself inked, just to mark that it's happened... you know, just as a reminder that this stuff can happen, and when it hits, it's really not as bad as you could think it is.

All in all, I have some catching up to do here - life, love, shinies and bowling. I hope to actually stay on here this time around. [Smile]

Edit - Oh, and as a completely random aside, I seem to have gotten into homebrewing mead. It's scarily interesting.

Regards,
Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 07:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody has left a reply on this thread, and I hope that does not discourage you, because I just loved reading about your adventures. You write well too. Thank you.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 09, 2008 09:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just had a chance to read this... [Applause]

mmmm Shakespeare!

welcome back!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 13:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry - but I skipped your post on the day - there just seemed to be too much of it. [Frown]

Still, I've read it now and it was well worth reading. [Smile] Welcome back.

I'm particularly interested to discover that someone else brews mead - I thought it was just me! I don't have a brew on at the moment, but I've been making 2-3 gallon batches on and off for about 10 years. It can be one of the easiest types of home-hooch to brew and the results are...well.. simply glorious. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture