homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Holiday in Middle Earth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holiday in Middle Earth
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2008 21:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may have noticed things have been unusually quiet and harmonious around here lately, that's because I've been away with Clan McDruid for 17 days in New Zealand.

We went swimming with dolphins at Kaikoura
 -

cruising on Milford Sound
 -

and just generally roaming about the set of The Lord Of The Rings
 -
 -

It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 29, 2008 23:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah! How I envy you. [Smile]

Did you do the glow worm cave tubing? [Big Grin]

Very cool, I just loved New Zealand... I think it's my fave. Gotta go back one day.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2008 23:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did a glow-worm cave visit at Te Anau, but no black-water rafting, we had druidlings in tow.
Parenthood is such a good excuse for cowardice.

Mind you, Clan McDruid trips have a way of turning into 'adventure tourism' whether it's planned or not. Shortly after visiting Fox Glacier 500 metres of the road we'd driven on slid into the river.
Then there was the 4.2 earthquake, but we slept through that, so it doesn't count.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 03:16      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are those your photos? Pretty nice.

I was in NZ last Xmas. A very pretty place. The highlight was a helihike on Franz Josef glacier.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 03:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Are those your photos? Pretty nice.

No, mine aren't uploaded yet, today's been hectic, I expect to post some of my photos in the next day or so.

quote:
I was in NZ last Xmas. A very pretty place. The highlight was a helihike on Franz Josef glacier.
I'd have loved to do that, but all flights were cancelled.
Gale-force winds and 400 mm of rain in 48 hours makes pilots nervous.

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 06:30      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I was planning a trip to some beach this year, Maybe I will change my mind. That looks wonderful [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 13:26      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swimming with the dolphins sounds like fun. Did you make it out to Waiheke island, just off Auckland? I was recommended to go by some Air New Zealand cabin crew. It's probably the closest place to paradise I've ever been.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 01:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some pictures, I'll try not to inflict too many on you...

New Zealand is a nice place for a driving holiday
 -

Or a lakeside picnic
 -

Perhaps a swim with the dolphins
 -

Maybe a scenic cruise (Scale check: can you spot the cruise ship in this picture?)
   -

Or just a stroll along the shore with the missus
 -

Littlefish: this trip was South Island only, but I've noted your recommendation for future trips. Thanks.

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 04:26      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Druid, for giving me even MORE cabin fever! I think I will start packing my bags...

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 05:43      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with GG on this one..

Jealousy thy name is Scott Green (Ironic name for the comment, I know)

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 07:25      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Druid, colour me green!

My boyfriend's a Kiwi (Christchurch), so all being well we're planning to live there at least for a little while in the future. I'm so excited about the prospect of visiting - it's one of the most amazing possible destinations for me - but my bf is all underwhelmed, and prone to saying things like 'most New Zealand houses are terribly heated' and 'saving up NZ dollars for a trip to the UK really blows'. So I need regular fixes of gorgeous scenery to keep me believing [Wink]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture