homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Need some second, third, fourth, etc. opinions.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some second, third, fourth, etc. opinions.....
CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 09:24      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some second, third, fourth, etc. opinions.....

Last night, completely out of the blue, my husband received a call from his ex-wife. I was in another room at the time, but could tell immediately from the tone of his voice, who was on the other end.

<Back story> The ex is extremely not liked by my husband's friends, family, and even HER family (confirmed by her grandmother who works in my office PT). She remarried some time last year, and moved to Austria. My husband was QUITE relieved, because she is a pain in the **s...she is his ex for a reason.

Two years ago, my husband went to get a new phone, but had issues because the ex's name was still on the account. The old account was closed, and my husband got a new phone and number. </back story>

My husband is the kind of guy who will chat with pretty much anyone, so I wasn't too surprised that he talked to the ex for a while about Austria and such - not happy about it, but not surprised. I was NOT happy about the fact that the ex had gotten my husband's number from someone, but my husband remembered that, back during the phone fiasco, he had called her, from the new number, to let her know the old account was closed.

Long story short - the ex and her husband are back in the states (living in Florida for the past three months) and are moving back to Pennsylvania, about an hour away from us. The reason she called my husband is because she wanted to know if he knew any place to get a cheap 4wd vehicle. Again, she is moving an HOUR away from us, into a MAJOR city, not our SMALL, backwoods, podunk town.

My husband wants nothing to do with her, like I said, she is his ex for a reason. But am I crazy to think she is up to something? We haven't heard a peep out of her since she moved. Why would someone a) keep their ex's phone number for two years, and b) call them with a pretty pointless question (IMO) completely out of the blue? I've heard stories about her from various people over the years, and I don't put it past her to try to cause some sort of trouble. I've never met her, really don't want to meet her, but I wouldn't put it past her to show up at our house some day.

Any opinions, suggestions, insights would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

Posts: 29 | From: In the Heart of the Seven Mountains | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 09:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like my ex. The only time she wants anything to do with with us, is if she thinks she would get something out of it. Needless to say, she has not made any real contact with myself or the boy in a while.

Perhaps I am just a paranoid. Or despise the universe like T says. But I don't trust it. But there really is nothing you can do. Just let you husband know how you feel and let the cards fall where they may. But, from the best I can tell, is that she is setting up a string of contacts to call upon when things are rough, or when she just wants something she is unwilling to do for herself.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 12:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ CoyoteSD39 __ Exs, are Exs for a reason, never trust an Ex they know too much about everything. Can you hide the body or would you need help?

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 13:14      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the ex is the type of person who does something only if there's something in it for them. She is very "me"-centric, which is part of the reason why her father will not let her stay at his house when she visits anymore.

My husband agrees that she is up to something, just not sure what.

And we would have a VERY long list of people willing to help hide any bodies, if that time would come.

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

Posts: 29 | From: In the Heart of the Seven Mountains | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 13:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Change your number and your locks. Screen calls with your caller id. And, if they make contact anyway, give them ice.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 13:16      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... Smells fishy, real fishy. She is definately up to something. Take it from a woman, she has something up her sleeve here, not sure what it is...Keep your eyes peeled [crazy]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 16:36      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It definitely sounds like she's up to something but the good news is it sounds like your husband knows it too. If he didn't realize it I'd say you might be in trouble, but as long as you're both alert you should come out of this fine.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 23:55      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is trouble ahead. In England, if an ex moved into a city one hour away that would be considered a safe distance (Manchester-Leeds or Manchester Liverpool etc) but moving to an hour away from where you live (and starting from Austria) cannot be a coincidence.

I don't necessarily think she has designs on your husband (well, not in the trouser department anyway) because this is too elaborate a way to go about it. But what if the new husband is reaching the end of his shelf-life? She'll be looking for a shoulder to cry on and could well be planning on latching on to your hubby, or both of you.

A twisted mind would say that if her second marriage falls apart then your hubby owes her the time and effort to help her rebuild her life. So, my suspicion is that the ex is an emotional leech who is setting up her next safety-net for when her current marriage goes belly-up. (They could be moving an hour away from you just to take up a really good job offer, but that would be a massive coincidence.)

Conclusion - take Xanthine's advice. And be as horrible as possible to them at every opportunity - the ex must not be given the slightest indication that either of you have any time for her at all. Good luck.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 06:25      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my husband told me why she had called, the first thing I said to him was that was not the reason she called. I just can't figure out if she was digging for information, or setting something up.

Unfortunately, the ex has family in the area, so there is a chance of running over her, oops, I mean running into her somewhere along the line. I have already stated for the record that if she shows up at the house (definitely NOT by invitation on our parts), there will be issues.

My husband is a little ticked at her sister (he's friends with her husband) for not giving him a heads up that she was coming back to the area. While we are grateful that she is not moving back to the county, that hour driving time seems too close for my comfort.

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 8 posted November 25, 2008 15:23      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE ...

My husband called the ex's sister to tell her about the phone call, and to find out what is going on. Turns out, SHE was the one to give the ex his phone number! [Mad]

Excuse me...what?!?!

My husband never thought to tell her not to give the ex the number, figuring it was understood not to.

So now I'm pissed a) because the sister gave out her his number, and b) she never thought to tell my husband that she did! [Mad]

And before anyone brings it up...no, this would not be an attempt by the sister to get them together. She knows that my husband wants nothing to do with her. In fact, she is the only person I know of who can tolerate the ex for any extended period of time.

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2008 02:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________ CoyoteSD39 __ Damn do-gooders. Now you need to set her up as a contact in the phones list and then set it to block those calls. Ask your provider.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.