homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What are you thankful for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are you thankful for?
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 04:22      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With five days until Turkey Day, let's start spilling what we are thankful for...
I'll start!
Of course my health, family, friends, the Democrats taking over office, and my special someone in my life [hearts] Overall, I think that is a lot to be thankful for!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 04:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Hi All __ I am thankful to still be alive. While I may have a cloud over me it will pass.

Neat animation that sent to me by a friend.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=WQ26144948

Hope you all enjoy Turkey Day.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 14:38      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thankful for my health and family. I am thankful that my son is getting good grades in school this year. I am also thankful for my new job. It's more interesting, exciting and fun compared to what I used to do. I also think I am more appreciated over here. Office had a big Thanksgiving spread out today for lunch and we didn't have to clock out to eat. I am also thankful for the certificate for a 14 pound turkey that I got from work today.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 15:35      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thankful to be surrounded by good friends (online and off), that I am in good health, that I have a compelling new direction in which I can move my life, that my nation has a new direction as well, and that I live in one of the finest cities in the United States (so far as I'm concerned). [Big Grin]

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 16:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thankful for a lot of things, not the least of which is my working kidney.

Peeing is awesome *nods seriously*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 17:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thankful for...

1) becoming a vegetarian. One of my better life choices. [Smile]
2) Mrs Grummash. She annoys the fsck out of me, but my life would be so very bleak without her
3) At long last reaching a point in my life where I am comfortable with who I am. I spent many years wanting to be something/someone else, but now I understand..... I really am an ok person.
4) Understanding that doing the right thing is enough in itself. You will get a payback somewhere down the line, but that is not why you should do the right thing.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 20:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family is cruising in for an important anniversary this year.

Ten years ago, my sister was diagnosed with adrenal cancer. She had a massive tumor and the first time they tried to take it out, they sewed her back up with just a few samples for the pathologists. Too many blood vessels. She would have bled to death. She was 15.

For a couple months, they dosed her with three chemo drugs that failed to shrink the tumor. Then they tossed in a fourth. This one was a pill, an insecticide derivative that targets the adrenal cortex. The side effects are ugliness. But it did have an effect on the tumor. Not exactly the intended effect - rather than shrink the tumor, the drug just killed it. The 10 pound mass inside her went necrotic. My sister went into septic shock. That was a fun time. They tried to stabilize her. THey gave her blood because her counts went low (she was hemorraghing into the tumor, as it turned out). Some days went better than others. So did some nights. Her room was next to mine. I had early bird chamber orchestra rehersals. I'd stand in her doorway and listen and watch for breathing. After a few weeks of that, they decided to just take the damn thing out and be done. It hadn't gotten smaller, but the surgeon felt like he could do it. The surgery was set for the day before Thanksgiving. My cousin and aunt were coming up to be with us. The day of the surgery was my other sister's birthday.

She was admitted the night before the surgery. Throughout all of this, I'd kept up a brave face. I had to. I had two other siblings, my parents were at the hospital all the time, I had to step into a leadership role. Not once in that time did I ask my parents for statistics; I assumed they would tell me if they wanted me to know. They never did, and I quietly assumed the worst. So, that night, when they admitted her, I went to see her. It was late, but visiting hours don't apply to older sisters. I gave her a kiss, told her I loved her, said good-bye and walked out the door. I did not expect to see her again.

Next day I got infrequent bulletins regarding the progress of the surgery. It was a half-day at school so there was a message left on the machine from my parents, another left at the dojo later that night from my parents, and so far so good. Nine o'clock that night, the call came in. The tumor was out, they were sewing her back up. She was going to be okay. My borhter, youngest sister, and I all screamed and hoolered and cried and then I got on the phone and started calling people right left and forwards. And then I passed out and slept harder than I had slept in a long time.

Thanksgiving Day was spent at the hospital. We had spaghetti for dinner that night. My sister would spend about two weeks in the hospital. After she came home and recovered a bit more, we had a real Thanksgiving. It was a bit late but who cares. She picked the entire menu and helped cook it. She lost a kidney, a lobe of liver, her gall bladder, a chunk of colon, and a piece of her inferior vena cava. But she survived. She's had two recurrences since then, the latest of which resulted in a Whipple procedure (so she has something in common with Steve Jobs). That last recurrence was 3.5 years ago, she's been good since then. Got a master's in teaching, got a job. Got a motorcycle she crashed on this past week, I'll get the details when I see her.

Ten years ago I had the best Thanksgiving ever. And that's what I'm thankful for.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 13:59      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thankful I get to go home and see my family this week. I miss them something wicked, and my aunt and uncle from Iowa might be coming out, and I haven't seen them in years. I'm also thankful for the upturn my life has taken, between having the new boyfriend, getting to see my best friends in a couple weeks, and finally being on the right dosage of medication (so my fibromyalgia is a non-issue and I'm not a zombie most of the day), I have a lot to look forward to in the next little bit. [Smile] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2008 15:27      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Wonderful woman in my life.

2) Steady work that is rewarding.

3) Wonderful people on Geek Culture

4) Puppies

5) Lost 30 pounds this year.

6) I'm alive to write this.

7) Wonderful woman in my life.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2008 16:30      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thankful for getting work in these unstable times. With a big company, too.
Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2008 21:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends†, family, and yes...in this economy - a very stable job.

I'm also glad to have a good working computer and a nice connection to boot. [Smile]

...and Xanthine, I'm very glad to hear about Sisthine! She's an awesome person, so it's great to hear that she's only dealing with a normal health issue now. [Smile] [Razz]

† Needless to say‡, that includes some fine folks around here. =D
‡ *snerk* ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 03:45      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad truth is, I hate this subject. The thought "what am I thankful for" always brings up this huge list of the things that have gone wrong in my life recently. All of which can be directly linked to the fact I tend to be an idiot with no self control.

That being said.. I'm determined to list at least one good thing.

This year, I managed to lose some weight, healthily. (though that stems into a neg too) I've also found myself comfortable with the person I am. Being happy with that person is still just barely out of reach, but having finally accepted who I am has helped a lot in my struggles with depression, and is certainly the right path.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture