homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Cell Phone Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cell Phone Question
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 06:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Does any one know of a no frills Cell Phone that would fit in a large hand? I do not want a camera, games or music just a damn good phone that will work out in the Huron National Forest. If it needs a pull up antenna then so be it. It must be large so I can get a hold of it, all of the present damn phones are made for teenage girls and little fingers not big thumbs that have been broken.

No Little tip wheels, and an outhouse full of menus, just big buttons and performance, plus battery life for ten or more days in the woods. I do not care if it is half or more battery.

I want basic phone no frills big enough to hold onto and see with out my glasses, good performance, and battery life.

Those that live in Canada have close to what I want in the Moto -VA76r

http://www.motorola.com/consumer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=28cf51936c57b110VgnVCM1000008206b00aRCRD&show=productHome

But it is just too small, I guess I want a Seventies GTO not a 08 Bentley.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 06:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but check out http://www.jitterbug.com

They're expensive, but they're big and very simple.

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 07:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________- MacManKrisK __ I have looked into them but again they are too small. Think of someone that has had fingers and thumbs broken over the years, and now their joints don't work as good as yours. The jitterbug is close but no Cigar. Think of the early bag phones, that fit on the trans console and it's big buttons. now envision a phone 1" X 3" X 6" it does not need to clam shell, recess the buttons.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 08:25      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at the Motorola i365 or the i355

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/motorola-i365-black-nextel/4505-6454_7-33238325.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/motorola-i335-nextel/4505-6454_7-32746405.html

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 13:30      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moman, i would suggest that any Nextel Phones that are a little older or are geared toward "Work" phones would be best. plus for three dollars a month you can throw your phone against a wall or break it in half and they will fix it!!!

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.

Posts: 79 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 15:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Bibo __ I thought you had found what I wanted and need. Then I looked up the coverage maps, for Bull Gap and remembered that all the guys with Sprint/Nextel were swearing at their phones because they don't work in North East Lower Michigan. Alltel/A.T.&T. have a lock on service and towers up there. That may be why Moto. did not recommend that series for that area. They just claimed that they did not have one to fill my requirements. Some times we can not even get out with my fifty Watt 2meter rig. Though my Moto i262 does work back there when it gets cold I can't hit the buttons.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 21:26      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find them unlocked, they are GSM phones and would work on the AT&T network.

I know nothing of this company but they have one unlocked for $129
http://www.cell2get.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1050

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2008 03:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ Thanks __ Bibo __ Now to see if Alltel will let me put one on their network. Just eight months in on these phones.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2008 05:23      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Alltel is GSM all you would need to do is take out the sim card from your current phone and put it in the unlocked one and it should just work. They don't need to do anything. I've done this with T-Mobile.
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2008 17:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Bibo __ Back to square one, Chad got a good laugh out of that question.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2008 12:31      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a no frills phone I saw on Crunchgear that's geared towards seniors that has large keys (and a built-in flashlight!). It's also like one of those medic alert things in that it has a panic button on the back, which I believe can be programmed to call any number you choose. It's due to be released next summer.
Here's where you can request info on the Clarity phone.

And here's a site with pictures, scroll down for the one with keypad extended. (The site is in Spanish)

(Not saying you're a senior, though!)

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 04:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ sosumi __ No offense taken, damit give me my Senior Discount. That phone is a step in the right direction. I can grasp an axe, a shovel big tools. I have trouble with screwdrivers, or small wrenches. Items that my hand will not encircle are all right, those that my fingers will wrap more than a full circle around are a problem. Remember the first cell phones they were bricks, I can hang onto a brick.

Bloat creep remember when everybody used to get on MS for OS bloat. Well now it seems that every thing is getting techno bloated. Just look at the mid-dash screens on some of these new cars. Where the heck did the radio go?

For those here in North-America have you seen the commercial for the newest Lincoln? What is the voice over saying? I can not understand the audio.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 04:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
For those here in North-America have you seen the commercial for the newest Lincoln? What is the voice over saying? I can not understand the audio.

If you're talking about the one with Cat Power covering Bowie's "Space Oddity" then the voice over is just a countdown from 10 to 1.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 06:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Back to the Cell Phone question. Just on a whim I looked at the iPhone, that thing is closer to my request than I thought, If it were a bit thicker, and did not have the volume buttons along the edge, it would fill the bill. I just do not need all that other crap. Edge buttons seem to get pushed by my big clumsy hands.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture