homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » "I'm not anti-social, I'm just socially retarded"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "I'm not anti-social, I'm just socially retarded"
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 01:05      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm horrible in social situations. My anxiety levels skyrocket. Throw in a hefty dose of low self esteem, and you've got the recipe for my social ineptitude.

Recently, I've been trying to cure myself of this particular problem. For many years, people have assumed I'm anti-social. The simple truth is, I'm just socially retarded. I get full of anxiety, I stress myself out, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. What's appropriate or inappropriate to say or do.

Heck, I can't even tell how or when someone goes from acquaintance to friend... I've had relatively few real friends in my life.

My anxiety around people has led me to avoid them all my life, so I kind of shot myself in the foot there.

I decided recently, fear sucks. So, I'm doing me darnedest to get over the shyness.

Last night I went to a friends house for what was supposed to be a small group (me and 5 other people). I was nervous. But, I figured I would go with the intent of being a more confident person.

There ended up being a rather full-blown party, which isn't what me or my friend had in mind (she's got more social anxiety than I do, which I dread contemplating).

I don't know whether I did well, or just thoroughly made an ass of myself. I managed to be very outgoing, talk to everyone, learn names (I'm horrible with them, but I managed it). I got a phone number of a guy I went to highschool with to go hang out sometime.

But, I'm relatively sure I came off as fairly drunk. I did indeed have a single shot of rum, and managed to nurse a single beer for about 3 hours. I don't know if that's good or bad, really.

This is a long arse rant, I know. I'm curious though - Have any of you any difficulties figuring out the whole "human interaction" thing? I love it. Hell, I crave it.

But, I kinda suck at it.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 06:53      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
This is a long arse rant, I know. I'm curious though - Have any of you any difficulties figuring out the whole "human interaction" thing? I love it. Hell, I crave it.

Heh. I'm totally there. I know the proper way to greet someone you meet for the first time, but when it comes down to it, the words just don't get out. I think my social ineptness weighs heavily on why I'm still single (along with the fact of growing up with a bunch of brothers, living on the country side where the nearest boy my age was kilometers away, going to a girl-only high school, and being raised Christian, which totally screwed up my view of sexuality until I was 25 or so).

So congratulations on your effort and success at that party; I didn't do quite so well at that conference a couple of weeks ago. I did manage to always join an already occupied table rather than go with my gut feeling of heading for the empty one, but I rely heavily on the business cards to remember the names of the people I met there.

I can't help but wonder what a party of socially inept people would be like. Would it be awfully quiet with everyone staying on their own, or would it be the best party ever, knowing that nobody will misjudge us for our own blunders? [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 07:25      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey -- instead of trying to overcome whatever social troubles you (may or may not) have, try to use it to your advantage! I, for example, like to don my best Star Trek uniform and say to ladies: "Greetings, female carbon unit." I then proceed to dribble and fall over a lot. If you want to drive the point home that you're interested, just say: "I Like Big Bras!" loud enough so that everyone around you can hear. If you want, you can extend your index finger very slowly towards her nearest soft, mastoid entity and giggle for a few minutes. Chicks dig that. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 08:38      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But, I kinda suck at it.

Sounds like you did fine to me. The trick is to just remember that at least some of the cool people in the room will be just as scared as you are. So - make sure you accept the next invite immediately and don't worry about how you did this time round. If nobody slapped your face, you have nothing much to worry about. Good luck.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 11:39      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neo – First, congrats on attacking the fear issue. Second, I really don't like people. So, my general shyness can actually save me from some of the planet's most annoying people. (Although not always, and it's taken me years to shake them.)

Seriously, I don't like people much. It's nearly impossible for me to find anyone who I click with. In fact, like you, I've spent my entire life with at most 3 friends I would have called real friends. Everyone else has been an acquaintance.

Now, Mrs Tweety is my only real friend, and frankly I don't have room for anything else. Just the way I'm wired. Speaking of Mrs Tweety, she like me has professed to being socially shy, but she does an amazing job of "turning it on" and being the center of attention. I, on the other hand, am the observer. I sit back, keep fairly quiet, no matter how "engaged" I am in a conversation, and observe. This works, more often than not, to our advantage. On the flip side, though, I'm the one who does push for us to be more social, even when we know we would never be great friends with that person/persons. Funny, the only other couple we've ever met who we felt we would get along well with are like us in many ways. Aside from them living on the West coast, we couldn't be friends with them, anyway. No room from either side. Well, good acquaintances, occasional dinner buddies. But, that's probably about it.

Hmmm … what am I trying to say? Well, don't beat yourself up for feeling socially awkward. The one person that I've ever known who seems like a social butterfly is just as shy and uncertain as I am. If you're looking to expand your social circle, I guess the best advice is to keep doing what you're doing and not worry about what people think. Most likely, unless they get to know you very well, they'll pigeon hole you anyway. If that keeps them from getting to know you better, so what? Their loss, not yours. Remember, it's only worth it to have real, sincere, honest people in your life. The type of people who always have your back.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 19:40      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* I read this earlier today and my heart goes out to you, neo. For I, too, am in the same situation.

I live alone and come home every day to an empty, lonely apartment. I don't go out because I don't even know where I could or would want to go out to. Not to mention, that I frequently feel even more lonely in a crowd than I do at home by myself. I don't really have friends to drag with me anywhere and going out for a cup of coffee all by myself is not really fun.

The more time I spend here, alone, the worse things get. I can interact just fine at work, because there's "work things" to talk about; but in a purely social situation I am lost. I deal pretty well once I get to know someone, but getting to that point where I feel I know them is nearly impossible.

I feel that I just don't know the rules of social interaction, I don't understand the ebb and flow of conversation, I don't know how to interact with people. And that's probably quite true as I have trouble picking up on cues and things that most people seem to inherently understand and pick up on.

*sigh* The hardest thing, though, is that I've come realize that I can't, I simply *can not* /think/ my way out of this. I hate that. Thinking is what I am good at, I thrive in situations where I need to think. Alas, I realize that no amount of thinking about this situation will lead me any closer to a resolution.

In fact, I find the converse to be true. When I am in a social situation, the more I can keep myself from thinking with my "logical brain," the better I do in social situations. The less I analyze, the better I do.

Neo, I think it comes down to this, and this is not an easy thing to get, but... When you are analyzing the situation you are presently in, you are unable to tune into the subtle, nonverbal cues that everyone else seems to just inherently understand. Moreover, your analysis of the situation will make you nervous and start to analyze even *MORE*, which means you block out even more cues which makes you less social and more nervous and you analyze harder and block out more cues and... You get where I'm going here.

*sigh* So it seems clear to me that the real solution to this problem is to TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF as best you can. Don't do it by numbing it with alcohol or drugs, but work on getting yourself to stop thinking about the situation you're in and start feeling your way though things. Much easier to say than it is to do, I am still far from being able to actually do this.

To analyze this and try to figure out a cause: I think, neo, if you are like me, your "logical brain," your ability to analyze things has always been valued highly; by you, and likely by those around you as well. Moreover, I think that ability comes in handy to help you get things done; when shit goes wrong or needs fixing you think of a solution using your geeky powers of analysis. As I explained above, though, analysis won't help in social situations and, in fact, hinders. If you've ever had someone tell you "you think too much" (and I know I certainly have!), I think this is what they mean.

The solution: don't think so damn much about it and go with the flow. Let me know if you figure out how to actually do that. :-/

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 20:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Social anxiety poster-child here. Don't ask me how I deal. Half the time I don't. Nice, patient people who can either make me comfortable enough for me to drop my guard or have the strength of personality to go blazing past it become friends. Everyone else I hold at bay. Thing is, I have a creepy-ass Machiavellian streak (I also like to be able to look myself in the eye in the morning so I don't really exercise it much) and I've cultivated an ability to read people to protect myself. If I see good intentions, really good intentions, I can be calm. But that's hard to find. Most people don't interact with me like I'm a frightened cat they need to coax out of a drainpipe. Nor should they.

I do better without faces. That's why I like the internet. Without the faces, without the crap behind the faces, it's easier to relax. I don't have to watch you judging, or not listening, or privately poking fun. I don't have to be afraid. But I still have to look at myself in the mirror. [Razz]

In social situations, if it's not people I'm already comfortable with, I get very, very tense. In fact, I'm a fscking wall-flower unless I have a partner along to drag me away from the wall. Kreziserb, my extroverted boyfriend, is a godsend. Seriously. I don't cling to him - in fact, at a party you're likely to see us on far flung sides of the room interacting with different groups of people and having a grand old time. I just need him on the premises, if that makes sense, as a sort of crutch. If all else fails, he's there. I recommend all you other anxious people find an equivalent. Doesn't have to be a member of the opposite sex or anyone you're romantically involved with. Just someone you'd trust until the end of your life. Every terrified person needs a wingman.

ETA: the empty house problem is solved with a pet. Even if it's just a fish.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 23:11      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Hey -- instead of trying to overcome whatever social troubles you (may or may not) have, try to use it to your advantage! I, for example, like to don my best Star Trek uniform and say to ladies: "Greetings, female carbon unit." I then proceed to dribble and fall over a lot. If you want to drive the point home that you're interested, just say: "I Like Big Bras!" loud enough so that everyone around you can hear. If you want, you can extend your index finger very slowly towards her nearest soft, mastoid entity and giggle for a few minutes. Chicks dig that. [Smile]

Hey! I think that may well describe me in highschool, except I like anime conventions more than I've ever liked star trek (Star Trek? Meh. I liked Star Wars.)

No, really. It's true! Ask Twinkle Toes if ya ever see 'er around.

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 00:00      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
and being raised Christian, which totally screwed up my view of sexuality until I was 25 or so).

I'm only 23 now. But, it screwed up my view of a lot of things for most of my life.

I lived the life of the fundamentalist, instead of the life of the curious.

quote:

I can't help but wonder what a party of socially inept people would be like. Would it be awfully quiet with everyone staying on their own, or would it be the best party ever, knowing that nobody will misjudge us for our own blunders? [crazy] [/QB]

Best... Party... Ever! ^_^... Er.. after at least 40oz of social skills for some people [Applause]

quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
If nobody slapped your face, you have nothing much to worry about. Good luck.

Heh, surprising as it may seem, I did manage to make it through the night with no slaps! Despite Spungo and Zorro's attempts at corruption when I was a yung'un. Though, I have to admit Twinkle Toes did manage to corrupt me quite a bit. (Fer those who don' know, they were around a loooong time ago... except spungo. He's like herpes. Ya may not see him, but he's still lurkin, just waiting...)

quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
I guess the best advice is to keep doing what you're doing and not worry about what people think. Most likely, unless they get to know you very well, they'll pigeon hole you anyway. If that keeps them from getting to know you better, so what? Their loss, not yours.

This is definitely true. But, it does take quite a lot of effort.

I mostly just hope it'll be worth it eventually [Wink]

Oh! And, yer not quite-new-but-too-new-fer-me-to-know. Well met! And, you should be proud to be asslaminated while you still are... It just doesn't last long enough.

[Happytears] memories..

quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
*sigh* I read this earlier today and my heart goes out to you, neo. For I, too, am in the same situation.
<insert entirely too familiar thought processes to my own>
The solution: don't think so damn much about it and go with the flow. Let me know if you figure out how to actually do that. :-/

It's a problem, for sure. I've over-analyzed things since I was in kindergarten.

I've heard the phrase "you think too much" since around 3rd grade, sadly.

You are certainly right though! The idea is definitely to do your best to turn off that logical side of the brain. Stop analyzing everything. It is very much more difficult to do than should seem reasonable. I know it stressed me horribly.

I've always been exactly the way you've described yourself in social situations. Down to and including being able to do alright at work because I have "work things" to talk about - and people I know well are ok too, though that takes forever to achieve.

This party would be the first instance in which I've managed to avoid that problem. I'm not sure how I did it... It's a curious thing, that. But, I did it.

Should I figure out the formula for success, I'll be sure to post it fer ya. In the meantime, you can always shoot me a message to neotatsu32 at hotmail, yahoo, or on aim.. I dun sign into ICQ or any other such things anymore, since I dun have anyone on it.

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 00:30      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Social anxiety poster-child here. Don't ask me how I deal. Half the time I don't. Nice, patient people who can either make me comfortable enough for me to drop my guard or have the strength of personality to go blazing past it become friends. Everyone else I hold at bay.
<continue describing creepily similar behavior patterns>

I have a lot of things I could say about yer response, X.

But, what really catches my attention is the last bit.. I've actually considered this recently. Sadly, I have no wingman to help me out.

It's an interesting thing to consider though. I think it's probably a very important thing for that matter. That is- the potential for falling back into the wall-flower habit once I have a s/o in my life.

This whole "self awareness" and "self improvement" and... All of it. I hate this stuff. Why can't life be like it was in 1st grade? There was no thinking involved in friendships. "Hey, you wanna play?" "yeah!" Done and done.

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 03:56      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, Neo!
From reading all your posts I would have never ever gathered that you are dealing with social issues. You are quite the social butterfly on here! Why not trying to meet people on the net first, then get to know them real well, and then try meeting them. It has worked for a lot of folks around here! Just a thought:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
davor
Mini Geek
Member # 3073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 12:26      Profile for davor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im horrible in social situations too. I don't like people or even single person around me and I don't like talking on the phone. I get all nervous and my hand start to sweat although I'm pretty eloquent. Because of everything written above, I became kind of hikikomori. I tried to fight it just like you have, but it makes me feel worse instead to have a good time. I just can't relax enough around people.

--------------------
Davor

http://davortech.wordpress.com

Posts: 51 | From: europe | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 17:12      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neo:

I know.

I'm quite comfortable interacting with others, provided I have a pre-established context. For instance, back when I was doing level-2 tech support in the Valley of Reeks I had no problem contacting a user I had never spoken to before, because our roles were already defined by the tech support context.

When it comes to starting from scratch, though, I'm clueless and terrified.

quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

Although I'm fairly certain that's not the way to go about it. (I hate getting smacked more than I hate being lonely, though, so I'm not prepared to verify that hypothesis experimentally. [Razz] )

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 17:34      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Geez, Neo!
From reading all your posts I would have never ever gathered that you are dealing with social issues. You are quite the social butterfly on here!

Actually, I met my first ever girlfriend here. And, while my personal issues caused me to screw that up, I still talk to her every now and then.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the person who's house I went to hang out at before it turned into a party I actually met online as well many years ago.

The biggest problem with that method is meeting people who are *local*. Then I come across the same problem as I do in face to face social interaction. /shrug

The biggest thing for me is the whole "human contact" thing. It's very easy to meet people online - talk to people, make friends all over the globe. But, it's not the same thing, neh?

As for the over-abundance of posts from me on here? I just talk too much sometimes, haha. Though, I guess I was a bit of a social butterfly this last weekend as well. Learnin new stuff about myself every day, I guess [Razz]

Davor - Dunno if you watch anime or not, but the anime "Welcome to the NHK" is a great one. I identified with the characters a bit too much in some cases, especially at the time I watched it. Made me realize exactly what I was afraid of becoming. -_-' (The first episode was... strange though.)

Mr. Dave - I guess for some people, any human contact is good human contact, eh? [Wink]

Spungo is a special case, for sure. Basically, you take what he says and drop the "creepy guy" level down about 4 or 5 notches, and you *might* be doing ok to just get a slap, instead of a kick in the nads. ymmv [Big Grin]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 12 posted November 11, 2008 17:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes you feel any better, it's always difficult at first but chatting up strangers gets easier and easier with repetition. Once you've done it a few times while luring strangers off to secluded places for you to dismember them, it becomes second nature.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 19:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me packs up stuff

/me retreats up an ice cliff

[Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
davor
Mini Geek
Member # 3073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2008 02:59      Profile for davor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Davor - Dunno if you watch anime or not, but the anime "Welcome to the NHK" is a great one. I identified with the characters a bit too much in some cases, especially at the time I watched it. Made me realize exactly what I was afraid of becoming. -_-' (The first episode was... strange though.)

I watched Welcome to the NHK and it's a great anime. What we need is a pretty Misaki-chan to cure us lol.

--------------------
Davor

http://davortech.wordpress.com

Posts: 51 | From: europe | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2008 20:27      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davor:
What we need is a pretty Misaki-chan to cure us lol.

Hmm... Yes!!! O_O

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 05:59      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
If it makes you feel any better, it's always difficult at first but chatting up strangers gets easier and easier with repetition. Once you've done it a few times while luring strangers off to secluded places for you to dismember them, it becomes second nature.

Yeah, what he said. And if the meals start to get a bit same-ish, I know of plenty of good recipes for lady-haggis. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 08:14      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Despite Spungo and Zorro's attempts at corruption when I was a yung'un. Though, I have to admit Twinkle Toes did manage to corrupt me quite a bit. (Fer those who don' know, they were around a loooong time ago... except spungo. He's like herpes. Ya may not see him, but he's still lurkin, just waiting...)

I miss Zorro! *sniff* ... and, more on topic, I too feel your pain, neo. I'm a bit like Tweety, when he says:

quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
Now, Mrs Tweety is my only real friend, and frankly I don't have room for anything else. Just the way I'm wired.

My boyfriend is my best friend and we spend so much time together and it's so much fun that I don't put anywhere near as much effort into cultivating other friendships as I should. I have a healthy group of wonderful friends in the UK, but I'm over in Germany, and it can be difficult to meet people when I don't speak the language and the ex-pat community is filled with hipstery art-wankers. And then comes the overwhelming fear that I will somehow come across as a clueless moron, which makes me close off and come across as arrogant, which is the last thing I want! If anyone whose ever felt snubbed by me at a social occasion is reading this, I promise I actually wanted to talk to you, I just didn't know how to begin.

The thing is I know that while my boyfriend's company makes me very happy, I'd be much more fulfilled if I had other friends along with him. I don't want us to degenerate into codependency and mutual boredom. The question is, how on earth does one come into contact with people who aren't wankers? [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 08:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just kill the wankers when you meet them. It improves the odds.

Oh and keep a house with a very dark basement...

I am also more like tweety that neotatsu. I keep very few people around me. I can BS all day long, but still feel no real connection to a person.

At one time I had a lot of trouble talking to others. That whole fear and self-esteem thing. But then I spent a few years working in jobs that required good interpersonal skills. Face to face as computer, RV, and phone support, helped in this area. But then it also brought to light the fact that I really don't like a lot of people. I make friends and can pack up and move nearly a thousand miles away, and not really miss the people as much as I occasionally miss the things that I did. But then I have made acquaintances even here as a social and religious outsider, but it requires that ability to just sit back and "shoot the shit" with almost anyone, almost anywhere.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 19:19      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, well.. My problem arises in that the only girlfriend I ever had that I felt that way about was Twinkle Toes.

And, when that ended, the (edit: I can't believe I wrote "whole" instead of "hole") hole in my life that was created I've never been able to fill. I want to find that again, for sure. But, I agree with Sky - While being with that person may make me happy, I still think friendships outside of that are very important.

Dunno. Guess life is a balance.

--------------------

Sludgedragon
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8746

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted November 16, 2008 11:37      Profile for Sludgedragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't usually post, just lurk, but I just had to say that reading this thread I might as well be here

http://www.wrongplanet.net/

which really doesn't surprise me! [Smile]

Posts: 10 | From: Oregon USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 04:29      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not surprising at all, unfortunately.

I have a running theory that all, or at least most, geeks are probably at least slightly autistic in some way.

Leading to one of my favorite quotes from a friend of mine - "I put the idiot in 'idiot savant'"

Of course, he's not exactly politically correct. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture