homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » It was 20 years ago today... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It was 20 years ago today...
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 08:09      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That I became a vegetarian.

Should a celebrate with a big steak? [Wink]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 08:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should definitely celebrate with a big steak in the finest restaurant available.

...and since you're a vegetarian and won't eat it, I will volunteer to eat it for you out of the goodness of my heart.

...or something like that [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 08:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew someone who was a vegatarian (he isn't anymore) [Big Grin] who once a year and only once a year would stuff himself with White Castles. [Eek!]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 03, 2008 11:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats Bibo!

[Applause]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 12:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Bibo, you deserve a special treat.
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 14:11      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Bibo - I'm nowhere near 20 years yet, but I find a pound of cheese makes a fine celebratory meal. [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 03:33      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the twenty years, Bibo! However since
first reading the headline yesterday I cannot get
Sgt. Pepper's out of my head. Thanks. [Razz]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 04:54      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the 20. That's truly amazing!

Might I ask why you're a vegetarian?

My mother does it for health reason that I can't quite understand, My brother does it in protest of factory farms, and my sister does it just because.

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 08:00      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all!

Jace, I went veg for ethical reasons. I consider myself a junk food vegetarian. I have been trying to eat healthier the past few years, but still like junk food. So much for the stereotype of skinny vegetarians!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 14:27      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Bibo! That's awesome! Imagine all the animals you've saved in that time span! [Applause]
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 14:43      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
Congrats on the twenty years, Bibo! However since
first reading the headline yesterday I cannot get
Sgt. Pepper's out of my head. Thanks. [Razz]

And I have it stuck in my head now...
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 06:32      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I respect anyone who makes that decision and can stick to it. It takes gusto.

Personally, I probably would die without meat. Dennis Leary said it best when he said "Meat tastes like murder. Murder tastes pretty d*mn good."

To each his own. ^_^

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 09:16      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Bibo! I am in awe!

I am still trying, little by little... The hardest thing to give up was pork, so i started with that, then 3 days a week are cheese, eggs and veggies only..My husband still likes meat, so it's a bit unfair to him. i might have to settle for just cutting way down.

What meat and poultry we do eat is only free range, organic, or certified ethically farmed. I know it's not the same as giving up, but baby steps...

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 12:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Congrats Bibo! That's awesome! Imagine all the animals you've saved in that time span!

.....and all the plants you've murdered [evil]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 13:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Cap'n:

Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Congrats Bibo! That's awesome! Imagine all the animals you've saved in that time span!
.....and all the plants you've murdered

It's that old "plant-murderer" nonsense again! Think about it! You try to kill a chicken and it runs away. You try to kill a carrot and it just lies there and takes it. What does that tell you? [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 13:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carrots are completely helpless, they can't run or even scream.....I honestly don't know how vegetarians sleep at night.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 13:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Bibo! I went veg 13 years ago when my parents finally gave up forcing meat on me.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 14:01      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Go Bibo! I went veg 13 years ago when my parents finally gave up forcing meat on me.

*cough*

Must......resist....

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 14:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh go ahead. It's been that kind of day for me.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 15:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Oh go ahead. It's been that kind of day for me.

I can't.....for almost anyone else here I would.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2008 21:32      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness you resisted..

A second noodle might have come out of my nose, and that was painful >_<

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 04:21      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! I went vege 7 years ago. I tried eating fish for a while but in the end I stopped eating that too. I don't know why, but my body just gradually became intolerable of it. Sad, really, because I love fish, I still salivate at the sight of fresh Atlantic salmon.
Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 04:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on 7 years tim-e,

but it's "intolerant of" - unless the fish really can't abide you!

just sayin' [Wink]

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 07:43      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Carrots are completely helpless, they can't run or even scream.....I honestly don't know how vegetarians sleep at night.

There's no sport if they don't resist.
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 16:10      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
There's no sport if they don't resist.

That's why bear is tastier than cow, eh?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture