homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » VOTE, JUST VOTE (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: VOTE, JUST VOTE
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 04:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ This is for US merkins. VOTE, JUST VOTE. VOTE, JUST VOTE.

On these these forums there are present people that have put their SITTER-DOWNERS on the line for you to be able to VOTE, JUST VOTE

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 04:10      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

Remember, if you don't vote..you can't complain!!!

VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 04:11      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a non-US citizen without the right to vote in the American elections, let me strongly reiterate this. I would give a great deal to be able to vote at this time, so the thought of any vote going to waste makes me wince.

Vote, vote, vote... but not for McCain, ideally [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 05:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you do vote without having to dodge a hail of bullets, take a moment to thank the aussies.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 03, 2008 07:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What skylar said, only double, because we mice here in Canada sleep right beside the elephant.

Malia '20! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 07:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote"
And if you do vote without having to dodge a hail of bullets, take a moment to thank the aussies.

Wow... I knew some of the history of voting, but there was a lot in that article that I hadn't heard before. I'm glad you linked that.

Also... GO VOTE!

If you think your vote doesn't matter, think about Florida and Bush winning by less than 600 votes in 2000. If 600 people had gotten off their asses and voted, we wouldn't have had Bush's policies for the last eight years and, short of starting a nuclear war, I'm don't think anyone could have done a worse job than Bush has.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 03, 2008 08:21      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject, I read this morning that 27 million Americans had cast an early vote. And I couldn't help noticing this is probably more than there are Canadians of voting age.

Also, just in case there would be dimwits around: the news that republicans vote on the 4th and democrats on the 5th is a scam. [Big Grin] Would someone really fall for this one? Human stupidity might be limitless, but still...

So, if you are not among the 27 million early voters, don't forget to GO VOTE on the 4th!

(I just wanted take this occasion to share a few fun election-related news. Or the other way around, whichever you prefer.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 09:37      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just sayin'

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 14:31      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Third time's a charm. I've voted (early and often, as they say), so here's hoping.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 20:52      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted early! Also, go and VOTE!!!! Do it!!!!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2008 21:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't vote early, but I will be voting in about 8 hours' time. And those of you who know me well, know that I *hate* mornings...but I'm willing to get up early for this.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 04, 2008 00:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cast my ballot on Halloween. One of the early voting polling places in my area just so happened to be right on campus, which, believe it or not, is actually more convenient for me than my real polling place.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 04:16      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am off to the polls right now!!! Now, tonight when I lay my head down, I know I can sleep soundly. You? DO IT!!!

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 05:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from the polls. Only took me an hour. Long lines even at 7AM, but that's a good thing.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 07:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a nice brisk walk down to my polling place, and got through it with enough time to pick up a croissant from the nearby bakery on the way back, and even enough time to make coffee before leaving...and getting to work on time†. A pretty good morning, by all accounts, I think.

† Where I was then able to enjoy coffee and a croissant...with bonus points to anyone who gets the warped reference. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 08:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Get out there and Vote!

And if you are a member of ACORN, vote often. [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 08:28      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard on NPR last night that 41% of the registered voters in NC had cast early ballots. That is amazing....you wouldn't normally have that many voters in an entire election there. Of course they are voting on several things, including Governor, but I believe this is all about the presidency.
I cast my ballot last friday, because I know the lines today will be horrendous.

Here's hoping for 4 years of Pro-Life instead of 4 years of Pro-Death.

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 08:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NoRealReason...

While I can possibly guess what your affiliations are, I do want to ask people not to push too much personal philosophy into this thread.

Whomever a person decides to vote for is ok with me. I have spent years being a proponent of voting. I have my own beliefs, but have grown weary of 40% of the population making the decision for the other 60%.

This election is slated for a huge change, no matter who gets what seat. But I think this thread is better suited to a joking stab, and one other line I have seen a lot of recently. Vote the issues, not the party. Take that however you will.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 11:09      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it!!!

I feel all complete now!!!

We won't talk about the fact that I stood in a 2 hour line next to a woman with a colostomy bag! [Eek!] Good times [Big Grin]

--------------------

NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 04, 2008 12:36      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] ATTENTION: I am not looking for a fight, nor a flame war, or however you want to classify discussions on the internet you don't agree with [thumbsdown]

quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
NoRealReason...

While I can possibly guess what your affiliations are, I do want to ask people not to push too much personal philosophy into this thread.

I looked, and it does not appear that you have ownership of this thread, I would think that falls to TheMoMan, since he started it. You may, therefor, ask that people not push too much personal philosophy, but I do not think anyone is obligated to oblige that request.
What I question is why you ask this of me, and not of Skylar, GrumpySteen, or Cap'n Vic, all of whom made their opinions of the candidates very plain.
Granted, no one else has brought up abortion, one of the most explosive and divisive topics out there, but I cannot help but bring it up.
I am a catholic. Being catholic, there is only one 'issue' that I can be concerned with this election, and that is abortion. McCain is Pro-Life, and Obama is the most pro-abortion candidate ever for president. I am not happy that Palin is against abortion but for the death penalty (I guess it is a matter of timing), but McCain/Palin are the clear choice for Pro-Life voters. Catholics call this the non-negotiable issue. If the candidate isn't with you on this, ALL other issues, economy, wars, taxes, etc...are unimportant.
To conclude, my statement of hope is tied to my stance on the issues, or issue, at hand. I am not faithful to a political party, I am faithful to my faith.
I hope everyone that can, those that agree with me, and those that don't, go and vote today. It is our right, but only because others far better than I made it so.

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 12:38      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted at about 8:30 this morning and my wife is going to wait in the lines and go in after she gets off work. She complained about it because her school is a voting place and she can't vote there. Her point is that she should be able to put in her driver's license and SS# on a computer and have everything come up for her ballot. While that would be cool, the fact of the matter is that something like that would be easily hackable. Then again, elections have been skewed for decades thanks to groups who stuff the ballot boxes. [ohwell]

In other news, we got new voting machines. We used to have the pull down switches and then you would pull a big lever to cast your vote. Now you just push the pad next to your choice. It lights up and you move to the next one. Once you are done you press a cast vote button, the machine beeps and you are done. It's a much nicer system in comparison.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 13:24      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done! 15 minutes in and out. It probably helps
that they're using the same optical scan machines
they were using when I moved here 17 years ago.
Results gathered as data with a paper hard copy.
What a great idea!

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 13:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NoRealReason:
[thumbsup] ATTENTION: I am not looking for a fight, nor a flame war, or however you want to classify discussions on the internet you don't agree with [thumbsdown]

I think I mention it mainly, because of the fact that

1. You were the one I noticed.
2. This becomes a flame war so easily, no matter what side you claim to be on.

It is not my internet, nor is it my thread. And if it is everyone's preference to allow it to fall into another thread of divisiveness and trolling, so be it.

I honestly don't care what church you go to, but certain types of comments are one that are filled with fighting words. And it appears that yours would cause one.

I think there is a difference between saying Bush sucked as a president, and I will not vote for a baby killer.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 16:00      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NoRealReason while of course I respect you for following what you believe to be the dictates of your conscience, it is likewise my sincerely held belief that the mixture of religion and politics that we call the religious right is toxic to not just the Republican Party but perhaps even more importantly to the Christian religion in the US. History shows again and again the corrupting effect on any church of the exercise of political power. Though I do not have faith myself, I believe that this is a great shame as it changes the church from a symbol of our common humanity and brotherhood into yet another instrument of hate and division.

I prefer the attitude taken by the first Catholic President of the USA as explained in his 1960 address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association in which he said among other things
quote:
But let me stress again that these are my views--for contrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters--and the church does not speak for me.

Whatever issue may come before me as President--on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject--I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressures or dictates.

You can read (or listen) to the whole speech here. It is worth a read. I wish we could return to this attitude.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 16:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom: Your gay and scuk ass. How dare you try to speak eloquently...ya rat bastud.

/me tries not to dribble the latte he just swilled...and offers you a beer. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture