homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Free at last!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free at last!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 15:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received some money that's been owed to me for a while...

/me surfs to the bank website, point, click...

I don't have a mortgage any more!

Free at last, free at last, thank Bob almighty I am free at last!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 01, 2008 15:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. Mag valour!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 15:53      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. Can't say I know quite what that feels like, as the biggest thing I've paid off so far is my car, but congratulations.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 16:10      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWACTION!!!!!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 17:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 17:30      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LUCKY!!! And I am saying that in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice!!! Congrats man [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 20:49      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeehaw!

i bet you feel light enough to just float away!!

Congrats

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 21:06      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear some good news about a mortgage. Congratulations! [Applause]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 06:40      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear some good news about a mortgage. Congratulations! [Applause]

Of course, the good news is only that he doesn't have one anymore. [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 02, 2008 10:09      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Druid. Mine is due for renewal soon, and I found that if I put a lot into it, I could pay it off in 10 years. (That is, if I do not switch for a house.)

Anyway, enjoy! All that money that you have no longer to pay to the bank... Lucky man! [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted October 02, 2008 10:39      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is totally me in ... 25 years *sob*
Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 11:26      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Druid! I had a mortgage once, but sold the house and have been renting ever since. Completely missed the housing bubble going *Glooop*

Enjoy /your/ home. That's right, the bank no longer has any stake in /your/ home. I expect to hear about some wild, naked dancing and prancing around the premises. You should throw a party, a "Liberated From Bank Tyranny" party, or somesuch.

So, what are you going to do with all that extra money?

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 14:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Free at last, free at last, thank Bob almighty I am free at last!

It's nice to know you have obtained slack from Bob. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 15:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
So, what are you going to do with all that extra money?

Right on cue, the hot water unit died yesterday, so there's the first few weeks 'financial freedom' accounted for. Houses are still a money-pit, even post-mortgage. [Frown]

Longer-term, I dunno. Neither myself nor Mrs Druid are temperamentally inclined to reckless squandering, so the Ferrari dealers of Melbourne are out of luck. We do both have the travel gene, so there could be a nice holiday in the offing, but with the world teetering on the edge of financial ruin, I may just buy a big steel box and stash the extra cash under the bed for a while.

Oh, and there will be some wild, naked dancing and prancing.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 15:43      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not exciting, but I'd recommend using the money to add to your savings for retirement. [ohwell]

After the wild, naked, dancing parties of course. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 15:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were debt-free for a few years:

No car payments(for 20+ years);
No mortgage or rent payments (for 6+ years);
No credit cards or other loan payments (15+ years).

I gotta tell ya - there is NO freedom like Freedom From Debt.

Way to go Druid! Keep fighting off the ball and chain of debt!

[Wink]
gg

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted October 12, 2008 03:43      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet. I'm looking to be out within 6 months, I have been off work for a while so the old personal debt's been climbing. I'm also damn glad I shifted my money into gold in July.
Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture