homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Out of gas???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Out of gas???
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 18:02      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tell me how Nashville can be out of gas!!! I had to drive to Ky just to fill my tank. One gas station in the whole town had gas today and I am not kidding, police were there to make traffic flow better, and the wait for the gas was over an hour long. Is any one else around here having issues with this? Oh, and let's not mention the people calling into work and saying they can't work because of the gas shortage! [Eek!] [Eek!] I am soooo frustrated...

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 18:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Please tell me how Nashville can be out of gas!!!

Perhaps someone wants to convince the voters to "Drill baby drill".

</tinfoil-hat>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 03:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________- geekygoddess- __ de TheMoMan You and the country are not out of gas, it is in tanks near galvesten, and Houston waiting to be loaded into tankers, and trucked out. The pumps that put gas into pipelines still do not have power. Remember I have a lineman friend down in that mess, restringing power wires. He, right now is working 16-18 hr days.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 13:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 13:17      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, look at the bright side. No gas, you can't drive. Therefore, you must walk or bike, unless you have a Segway. But, as most Americans do not own a Segway, looks like we'll have to be doing a little bit of exercise to get where we want. In turn, all this walking about will help people lose weight, and voila! no more obesity epidemic.

You see, the Republicans really are doing the right thing for the country. Them darn Democrats would just have us get lazier and fatter.

So, I say, let's join with Cap'n Vic there! 4 More Years! 4 More Years! 4 More Years!

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 13:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<merchant-banker>
Four more trillion!
Four more trillion!
Four more trillion!
</merchant-banker>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 18:58      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, the price of gas just went down six cents today at two of the lowest priced stations in my area. Something doesn't add up here. No gas in the south implies not enough supply, price drops in the north implies ample supply. WTF?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 19:02      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh! That is what I am confused about. And I just heard that this area will not be getting any more until Friday. I hope I make it!!! [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 03:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Ugh, MightyClub Here in Michigan all gas is piped or trucked in. The City of Alma used to have a refinery, Total closed it, then every brand went up in price? Right now there is a BP refinery near Chicago and a Marathon refinery near Detroit. With out those prices here would be outrageous. At Bay City there are big gas tanker docks and a lot of ships come to them, but Bay City has higher prices than a few miles away, go figure.

So if one fifth of the USA refinery capability is in the Galveston Bay area, it is still a transport problem, for those that get there fuel from that area. The Brother-in-law from Baltimore says gas is cheap there.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 18:54      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, MoMan, but given the greed of the oil companies I would have expected them to truck a bunch of "my" gas down south and charge us both through the nose for the trouble. Can't you just smell the profit potential?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 19:34      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always confused by the fact that gasoline was more expensive in Sarnia, where the refineries are, than in London (ON), 200 km away by major highway, and even cheaper in Exeter (ON), another 50 km away by dogsled and goat-track.

But hey, that's the law of supply and demand — the oil companies demand money, and we supply it.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 13:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ de TheMoMan __ This is a quick lesson in gasoline composition. Gasolines are blends of some fast burning and slower burning compounds. +During the the Summer the US EPA requires that the refineries restrict the output of very high vapor pressure liquids in summer blends, to slow down evaporation, and air pollution, during the winter these same hydrocarbons are added to enhance starting in cold weather and because of the lower temps evaporation is not such a problem.

_____ Now the refineries have been stock piling these compounds for addition the the fuels for winter use. Along comes the EPA and now they say to the refinery bosses use it now get it out into circulation get some of the price down. So if you have a vehicle that has a carb.and not FI you may experience vapor lock and flooding this fall until it the weather gets cold enough to keep the more aromatic compounds in your fuel.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 18:52      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems all is back to normal now. I filled up tonight with no problems anywhere. [Big Grin] All is well in Nashville again, for now...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture