homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The kind of scare I don't need

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The kind of scare I don't need
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 13:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent events prompted me to check up on my pension fund.

I went to their web site, keyed in my username and password, and followed the link to the 'Account balance' page.

code:
Opening balance 1/7/2008       $(over a years pay)
Admin charges and taxes $ a few dollars
Estimated earnings -$(over a years pay)
Current balance $ 0.00

Note the negative sign on the estimated earnings.

Ordinarily, I'd have just laughed it off as a computer error, but with the news headlines these days...

It was after office hours, so I couldn't call them and scream WTF!!!??? so I just spent the whole night telling myself "It's gotta be a computer error" over and over again.

I just checked the site this morning, my money has magically returned (although I'm still down about a months pay compared to the start of the year).

I'm starting to understand why grandma kept her savings in a biscuit tin under the bed.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 13:46      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least you were able to establish a connection with your rational side and stay relatively calm until daylight came and business hours came.

My sympathies for the dread and worry that was bubbling there.

Like Roy rogers is attributed as saying (and I am paraphrasing) "sometimes you need to worry about return OF capital rather than return ON capital"

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2008 03:57      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum is experiencing a massive scare due to the global turmoil... her portfolio has lost $A200,000 in the past month. Now that it's happened there's nothing to do but wait until the markets crawl back. Lucky for her she's extremely good at keeping spending to a minimum.
Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture