homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » University!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: University!
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 14:51      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm in my first week of University. I'm in computer engineering at a fairly large school and so far it is just welcome week.

Does anyone have any advice on how to manage your time better and how to schedule in time to talk to friends going to different universities over msn and such? survive university? how to be able to handle being away from your family? general advice?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 15:48      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relax,
try it all in moderation, and remember that there is always someone who is having a harder time than you are.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 16:01      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of coffee...lots, and lots of coffee!

And listen to Littlefish, remember to relax. Find your stress releaser, whether its yoga and tea (like myself) or something more manly and aggressive like GTA Marathons or rounding up a group of friends for a game of touch football, or even something as simple as going for a walk to clear your mind...

Stress release is so very important!

As far as time management, you'll learn to multi-task, you'll learn how much is too much, and you'll learn how to most effectively study to benefit your individual learning style.

Being away from family can be difficult, but also is part of leaving the nest and growing up. Keep in touch with them, but don't let them pull you back into the drama at home that you have just finally escaped. E-mail and telephone calls are great, and letters make fun surprises and ensure you get more than lame pizza coupons and cell phone bills at college.

And remember...you have all of us GC-ers here for help and support nearly 24-7!

Best of luck this semester! [Smile]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 16:03      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save all studying, term papers, etc to the very last minute, preferably the night before the test or due date. You can't go through uni without pulling at least one all-nighter. Caffeine is your friend. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 01:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Save all studying, term papers, etc to the very last minute, preferably the night before the test or due date. You can't go through uni without pulling at least one all-nighter. Caffeine is your friend. [Razz]

Caffeine is you r friend if you are staying up till 1 to stydy, caffeine is not your friend if you are staying up till ):00 am and then going to class. Then avaoid all sugar or anything that will give you a quick high.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 02:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup caffein is your friend, and is just one of a huge range of drugs you must use. Remember lank greasy hair, glassy bloodshot eyeballs, and cold sweats is the look for freshers. [devil wand]

Or maybe just listen to littlefish...

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 09:26      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turn up for lectures or whatever they are called in your part of the world, even if you think you know the subject material inside out. There's still a chance that you'll learn something new and tutors are much more likely to help you with problems if they get used to seeing your face in their classes.

If you have to do group assignments avoid those predominantly composed of alpha males.

If you feel you aren't getting the grades you deserve for the work you hand in despite whatever you think, the least likely reason for this is that they hate you.

Talk openly and honestly with a counsellor if you have any problem that seems insurmountable. It probably isn't with some expert help.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 12:38      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that most professors aren't out to get you. Quite the opposite - most really want you to succeed. Don't be afraid to ask them for help if you should ever need it.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 12:44      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make a habit to get to know each one of my professors. I am the nerd that stays after class and brown-noses just a little bit! My GPA seems to agree as well [Big Grin] And if you show you care about your grades and really try, they won't fail you! It's the lazy students that never show up and never communicate who don't make it [Frown]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 16:40      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are entering school after working full time, then time management should not be a real issue.

A rule of thumb for homework is two hours of homework for every hour of classwork. If you have a 13-hour class load you add 26 hours of homework and you work a total of 39 hours a week.

So you have a 40-hour workweek for you -- don't waste it. Study every day.

Create a study schedule. Go to class and take good notes. Review your notes the day after class and you will remember them better.

Find times and places that are conducive to study -- my school's library stacks on Saturday mornings were quiet and overlooked a pretty garden. The bus I took to work one semester was ideal for Econ reading. That kind of stuff.

If you work your way through school, take your work vacations during finals week -- it will boost your grades.

Enjoy the luxury of setting your own hours, just because school requires a 40-hour workweek doesn't mean it has to be 9-5 -- unless you like it that way.

Work with your professors and instructors. If you're not getting something then visit them during their office hours. Ask for extra problems if you need them. Go to class and participate. Speak up.

At university, I lettered in sports, went to national competition, held a job as a Teamster (you gotta problem wid dat?), raised a son, and was a driving force on a legendary college radio station comedy show. I graduated Cum Laude with degrees in Business Administration, Marketing, Economics and Law.

Oh one more thing, if you don't know the material the night before your exam then cramming will do no good. Take the night off and get a good night's sleep.

I hope this helps

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture