homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Last weekend of summer!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Last weekend of summer!!!
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 13:53      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put up your bikinis ladies. I don't know about you guys, but, I am welcoming the fall with open arms!!! [Big Grin]

Here in Tennessee we have a very nice autumn, and mild winters. I saw the first few leaves today already falling [Big Grin] The pools will all be closing up this weekend as well. This is by far my favorite season of them all!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 17:24      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you're going to take off that bikini, can you at least provide scientific evidence that it happened before you put on your fall attire? [evil]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 19:15      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since its for science... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 14:46      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . we are still waiting . . .

But the last weekend of summer means school has begun. [Frown]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 16:07      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so jealous. At least most of you have had a summer. Here in England, I can count the sunny days this "summer" on one hand. It's been awful. [Frown]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 17:09      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pfft. It hasn't even dropped out of the nineties (mid-thirties C) around here yet, and the prediction is more of the same for at least the next ten days. When we get a few days with highs in the eighties (upper-twenties C), I'll concede that perhaps fall is here.

It could be worse, snupy.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 21:21      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tourists don't crowd the streets during the week the way they did between Memorial Day and Labor day.

We had a cool, beautiful summer here in Glacier Melt. The kind that rewards those escaping the heat of summer to get a real blast of a summer in the mid seventies to mid eighties.

Now it's fall. The tourists will flock on the weekends still. At least until the leaves fall.

The strawberries have long since gone, so too the blueberries, cherries and peaches. The apple trees droop with the promise of all the summer sun they've gathered. Cider mills will be running soon.

The vineyards are beginning to fill with the scents of ripening grapes.

Sunsets are growing longer, redder and richer.

Hayrides, mulled wine, fires fueled with cherry and applewood.

The one last warm Indian Summer weekend is hiding out there somewhere. Everyone will gamble one extra day off to enjoy the full force of it.

Fall is a wonderful season to share, isn't it?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 03:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Colonel Panic __ In some ways we both have the best, you the Lake Michigan Sunsets, Myself the Lake Huron Sunrises. all the other things are rites of Mich. including the annual Mich./Mich. State game.

Yeah the weekenders and tourists are gone, we can drive to town the direct way instead of avoiding the tourist routes. Yesterday we went out in the woods with the ORVs and just had fun, came across some big cat tracks, about two and one half inches across, seemed to be following some deer tracks. No we did not find BigFoot.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 04:42      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo_Man,

You found one of those cougars that aren't supposed to be here, it seems.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 10:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________ Colonel Panic ___ Well I know how big a print a Seventy pound Siberian makes in damp sand and these were at least 1&1/2 times bigger.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 10:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________ Colonel Panic ___ Well I know how big a print a Seventy pound Siberian makes in damp sand and these were at least 1&1/2 times bigger.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 11:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big cats can be very stealthy.

Some years ago in Nairobi, a captured leopard that was being prepared for export to a zoo in Europe escaped. As you'd expect with a wild leopard running loose in the nations capital, the police and army were mobilized to hunt the critter down.

They never found it.

But they did find three others.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 18:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________The Famous Druid ________ I just have to ask this. Since this is a multi-nation BB, is March the first as big a deal as Sept. first is in the North Americas? I know that the seasons would be changing six months out of sync from there to here. So you are starting to see Spring and then Summer. Is there one big weekend to blow out your Summer and start Fall?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 21:57      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

The State of Michigan cannot afford the measures needed to protect an endangered species like a cougar, so therefore what you saw Mo-Man does not exist.

Now if you insist on what you saw, and agree to foot the bill for protecting this big cat, then I suppose it exists.

Some old bear prints, you say now?

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 00:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____________________The Famous Druid ________ I just have to ask this. Since this is a multi-nation BB, is March the first as big a deal as Sept. first is in the North Americas? I know that the seasons would be changing six months out of sync from there to here. So you are starting to see Spring and then Summer. Is there one big weekend to blow out your Summer and start Fall?

Nah, it's summer all year round here in the land of crocodile hunters and bikini babes.

We do have a festival of sorts here in Melbourne in early March, carnival rides, a parade, that sort of thing, but it's not to celebrate "the end of Summer" - the organizers just hijacked an existing long weekend, and AFAIK the other states don't do anything special on that weekend.

The nearest thing we have to a national "end of summer" holiday is the Easter 4-day weekend.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 03:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ CP __ Must have been somebodys Saint Bernard got loose.

I have heard that in this area there are some Bob Cats, no not the diesel powered ones but the four footers.

Does any one know when the Sand Hill Cranes are going to be heading back to warmer climes? It has been sort of watching the pair around here this summer, of course our house cat tried stalking one of the cranes about two weeks ago.

___TFD__ Thanks on the Culture update.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture