homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » How to swat a fly.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to swat a fly.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 29, 2008 07:48      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting info over at the telegraph...

Prof Dickinson suggests the scientific way to swat a fly. "It is best not to swat at the fly's starting position, but rather to aim a bit forward of that to anticipate where the fly is going to jump when it first sees your swatter.".

It's fruit fly season over here, and I'm been having good luck this year with the mid-air grab technique. (My apologies to any poor-karma ancestors I may be quashing.)

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 10:14      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I'm too lazy to read this article right now, but I read years ago that you should aim a bit *behind* because flies launch backward before moving forward. I've had decent luck if I move in with both hands from behind and clap (cue spungo).

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1740 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2008 08:11      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup: I read the same thing years ago. I'm pretty sure it was in David Bodanis' book The Secret House.

I've had (my friends would call it legendary) success at having to go wash mooshed fly guts off of my hands, after aiming a clap two inches behind and one inch above where a fly is when it's landed.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture