homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Gustav

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gustav
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 13:14      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been afraid of hurricanes. Heck I've lived my whole life in Louisiana so for me it's been the norm. But for some reason Gustav has me worried. I guess it's because of what Katrina did to New Orleans. If Katrina would have gone just a bit more to the west, my area would have felt the full fury of it and what we did receive was bad enough.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 18:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________DoctorWho___ Fear, now I know fear, While in the Navy we moved capital warships out of the way of Tropical Storms, and the fool surfers still go out to get the big one.

Any way I thought that you might like to see this site and it loads quickly, great for checking on planning the get out now strategy.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/204513.shtml?3day#contents

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 00:22      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just so happens that I've already told a relief organizer that my home is available.

So if you have to evacuate, come to Northeast LA so we can partaaaaay [Cool]

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2008 15:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have good reason to be afraid, mother nature can be a right bitch when she's angry, and she's looking really cross right now.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, you be sure and check in as soon as your internet connection is fixed, m'kay?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 03:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ DoctorWho ____ Hurricanes, who thought up this stupid wind speed means of judging a storms damage potential. Wind speed is only part of the the problem how big is the sucker? Maybe we need two numbers the first for wind speed and the second one for total area of the storm.

----- Most of these storms are in the size range of Rhode Island or Conneticut, What if the Gulf states got one the size of Ohio, or Kansas? How much rain could that sucker pull onto land?

_________ Sixty Four more days, then what?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 05:33      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is even more disturbing is how John McCain and Fox News are making this storm a political event.

I don't see how.

First, "Hey what a great thing! Storm that kills people! We can make political hay out of this!" I don't think a disaster is something to celebrate.

Second, best case scenario for them, "We got it right half the time!"

Even more sad, ask John McCain and somebody in New Orleans, "Hey how many houses do you have?' you could get the same answer, "I don't know."

I hope the levees hold.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 19:28      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it looks like LA dodged a bullet from this storm and I'm thankful for that. It's also great that McCain won't be able to use this a photo op they way he intended. OTOH, it was just enough to allow Bush to skip the convention, which saved the Republicans a lot of embarrassment.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2008 10:39      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Louisiana did not really dodge a bullet. My home town is Houma and we were at ground zero. A tree landed inches away from my house but I have a lot of branches on it and it still could be damaged by the tree cutters because the tree is wedged into another one that is standing right by the house. I have been living at my in-laws since the Saturday before the hurricane. Fortunately we have been running a generator since Tuesday. I just called my insurance today. Turns out hurricane damage is different from wind damage so instead of a $250 deductible it's $1000. [Eek!] What's more aggravating is that my insurance also has a separate deductible for my shed which is also $1000. [Eek!] [Eek!] Oh and if the tree cutters damage my house it's another $500 deductible. I might as well not have insurance at this rate. I hope FEMA comes up with the dough because I don't have it.

On another note, my brother did not evacuate and was going to be interviewed by some Spanish TV station. He agreed because he thought it would be cool. The first question the interviewer asked was basically don't you think you were stupid for not leaving. My brother told him to go fsck himself and that he was to busy to deal with him.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 08, 2008 12:53      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Houma?! Geez oh man, I'm sorry.
My house had 4 leaks and the door leaked so bad it ruined the deadbolt, but around here we've been saying things like "Yeah, the storm was bad, but it's not like we're in Houma." [Frown]

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2008 13:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr Who - [Eek!] [Eek!] Glad you got through the events with your person intact, but it sounds like a very poor situation regarding the "insurance" cover. I hope it works out ok in the end.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2008 14:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear you made it through ok.

Insurance companies are a pack of bastards. Many years ago a neighbour had about half a dozen windows broken in a storm, the insurance company tried to treat each window as a separate claim with its own deductable.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2008 15:37      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DoctorWho Glad you made it through okay. I'm sure you've seen some of my bitchin' regarding insurance companies, so, I feel for you. My in-laws actually got their homeowners insurance to cover a claim the company rightfully didn't need to. The claim's guy was real nice about the whole thing and sent them a check. Surprised the c*ap out of me.

Hope you fare as well, though I would suspect that with all the claims being filed the insurance co's are going to look at ways to deny, deny, deny. Keep up the fight, though, and get every last dime you deserve.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2008 15:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor - glad to hear you are fine.

These photos of hurricane weather systems from space here have a terrible beauty. Awe inspiring.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2008 04:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ DoctorWho Well I guess I have to eat my words.

---- Most of these storms are in the size range of Rhode Island or Conneticut, What if the Gulf states got one the size of Ohio, or Kansas? How much rain could that sucker pull onto land?

____ Well I took a screen shot of Ike and it totally covers Ohio, or Iowa. For those Texans on these forums hang on.

Well I just took another look:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Surface/Mixed.aspx?enlarge=true

____Those grid squares in the ocean are 5Degs. apart very few states are five Degs. big in one direction. Dr Who it appears that you are in Doo Doo again.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2008 10:58      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan,

I think we are pretty much out of the woods as far as Ike is concerned. The most we are going to feel is *minor winds and scattered showers from the outside feeder bands. I met with my adjuster today; really nice guy. He overestimated on all my costs so it's possible that I may end up without any out of pocket expenses. I also had the tree cutter there this morning. The adjuster and the cutter settled on $3000 to remove the tree, but after the adjuster left he offered to cut it for $2500 cash. Who was I to say no to an offer like that? [Smile]

Edit: *minor winds meaning winds at about 50mph gusts at most.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2008 06:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ DoctorWho I hope you are right, this weather map shows you are going to be in for a "bit of a blow".

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/090240.shtml?tswind120#contents

This link is to a local radar near you'

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=lix&product=N0R&overlay=11111111&loop=no

It updates every ten to fifteen minutes so it is usually quiet accurate.

______ Please check back in after the storm has passed and or you get your connection reset.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2008 12:05      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typical Urban Area of Okinawa, Japan

-

First, I can attest to the fact that these buildings face major typhoons with little or no damage, and it's not unusual for them to be hit with three or more typhoons in a year.

Two things to consider: Concrete, and Location -- Concrete does not start flapping in the wind, and blow away (destroying other property in the process). As for location, the beautiful resort area of Okinawa is on the west coast, making it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for storm surge to affect it.

Next, some people might want to say "you can't build hurricane-resistant homes."

-

Actually ... yes, you can build "hurricane-resistant" structures.
quote:
This Monolithic Dome of a Home from Pensacola, Florida, has survived three recent hurricanes with no major damage. Storm surge washed under the building and away. The dome fared considerably better than neighboring homes.

It seems a bit "unwise" (MASSIVE UNDERSTATEMENT) that people build "on the beach" when it's well known that a 12-foot storm surge with 18-foot waves easily brings down wooden structures whose floors are less than 25 feet above sea level.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2008 15:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Hi All it seems as Mr ASM left out a very important fact, cost/sq.foot for small house sizes these units are expense, however as size increases cost benefit ratio starts to become bearable. I was looking to build one here on the hill top. I would have had to hire an out of state contractor, and the local building inspector "How do I calculate where the roof begins and the wall ends for snow loads?".

Linky

http://static.monolithic.com/

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2008 18:11      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
September 13, 2008 15:11
Hi All it seems as Mr ASM left out a very important fact, cost/sq.foot for small house sizes these units are expense, however as size increases cost benefit ratio starts to become bearable.

Ok, such buildings are generally too expensive for one family. However, if eight families live in the building (ground-level for parking, then two floors above with each floor divided four ways), then the cost per family becomes reasonable. (Just a guess.)

For the eco-lovers, put a "green roof" on the building -- reduced heating costs because the roof doesn't get hot, and ground-cover type plants would be almost impossible to blow off a building.

quote:
The local building inspector "How do I calculate where the roof begins and the wall ends for snow loads?".
... and of course you knew that he could count the entire surface area of the building as "roof" and it would still support more weight (snow) than other structures. Shame that not every state would be able to inspect and approve "nonstandard architecture."

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2008 22:47      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm born and raised in South Padre Island TX. My neighborhood is a really bigs and pit right now. All of my family are here in Atlanta GA, safe.

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2008 03:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Hi All __ Has any one heard from DoctorWho?

Buildings and Inspectors, Most inspectors are just tradesmen that decided to take on the position of judging other tradesmen's work. Here in our county there are four inspectors, A: for heating,AC, and Plumbing. B: for Electrical, he is good and knows his stuff. C: Structures (how do I calculate the roof load). Four the boss I am unsure what his field was.

Actually ASM the insulation is on the outside covered with stucco. The layers are Stucco. Then the Air form that is used during construction. The insulation is Spray Foam (typically three inches thick). Then a Ferrocement layer rerod, chicken wire and all the conduits are put in the wall BEFORE the gunite is sprayed into the metal armature. Let set for a few days and begin the trim work, and go outside and apply the stucco.

The problems I had delt with paying an out of state contractor to come out here in the Booneees and cost/sqfoot. I really wanted one because of low heat loss/gain with the seasons.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture