homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Back to School, YAY!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back to School, YAY!!!
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 13:56      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, most of you know I teach Pre-K, until I finish up my teaching degree. And believe it or not it is already time to go back:(

So, this is the song I have been humming in my head all day as those little hethens make their way through the halls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d038iZ2QYY&feature=related

Peace be with me!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 15:10      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

My wife can sympathize with you as she teaches first grade and today was the first day with the kids. I know what you teachers go through and considering all the preparation it takes for you to teach those 180 days you are underpaid so much it's pathetic.

Edit: Do you think you will stay with Pre-K or move on to a higher grade?

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 15:27      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh thank god. itis better than christmas,halloween,and thanksgiving all rolled into one. The most wonderful time of the year!!!

I cannot wait to be able to say to my son "Get on the damn bus boy, and behave for your teacher"

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 05:36      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I fall asleep for four weeks or something? When I was a kid, school started after Labor Day. What's up with moving it up by a month? Poor kids.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 06:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs,

I know, at least out west, is they began to expand the mid-year holidays. Fall breaks, longer Christmas breaks, longer Thanksgiving and such. This then cut down the amount of time for the summer break.

In way it stinks, since many people are used to the idea of a three month vacation time. But there are actually a couple of very nice things about it.

By adding to the vacation time in the school year, teachers do not have the long perion in the middle of the year without pay (though some districts do offer ways to cut monthly checks down to then disperse it over the summer months). Families can take longer vacations during the extended holiday times. So trips to see the grandparents three states away are possible during something like Thanksgiving.

Also, more often than not, parents both work. This means that during the summer months they do not have to be nearly as concerned with long term daycare. And this is merely anecdotal, the shorter vacation seems to keep kids from forgetting too much of what they learned the year before.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 12:13      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK here it's remains what it was. School starts the day after labour day. The school year ends just a few days shy of July, leaving 2 months to play in the sun. Well not as much sun this year.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 13:07      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We changed the school calendar in Louisiana not too long ago so that it starts on the first Tuesday in August and ends the third Thursday in May. Extended breaks were put in that can be taken away in the event of a hurricane without extending the school year. The teachers like it because the students seem more prepared to go back to school than they did when they had a longer break.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 17:33      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The longer Jonathan has been in grad school, the more convinced he is that year-round schooling will eventually be the norm. (That, and a mixture of online coursework at home and face time in the classroom.) Year-round would enable children to keep learning and not have time to forget stuff like they do after three-month summer vacations. There wouldn't be a change in days in school, just how they're arranged throughout the year.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture