homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Forbidden Plateau excursion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Forbidden Plateau excursion
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 26, 2008 09:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac and I went on a hike yesterday... oh man it was great to get out, away from work. We went up to Forbidden Plateau, which is an area near here mostly enclosed within Strathcona Park.

The area supposedly received its name from Native legend. "When the Comox people faced raids from other coastal tribes, they took their women and children to the plateau for safekeeping. Once, during a raid by the Cowichan, the women and children vanished without a trace and, since then, the Plateau has become taboo for it was believed that it was inhabited by evil spirits who had consumed those they had sent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Plateau

We drove up Forbidden Plateau Road to an old abandoned ski resort, and hiked up. It was a good day for it, sunny with a nice cool breeze. It was pretty hazy, but that helped keep us from completely roasting on the grueling trek up. It took us about 2 hours to get to the top.

Here's an old chairlift the remains of what once was Wood Mountain ski resort. It's was abandoned in the early 80's I believe. I don't know why a salvage company hasn't come to get all the metal!

-

Here's the view from the top. looking down on the Comox Penninsula. The area of land sticking out into the harbour is called Goose Spit.

-

Here's the view of Comox lake, with Denman Island and Hornby Island just offshore.
 -

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 11:14      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you made it out ok. [Wink] Now if anything bad happens, you can blame it on The Forbidden Plateau! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 11:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, sounds like fun! Next thing we'll read about is you two swimming in Goose Spit. [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 12:16      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, beautiful landscape.

I wish southern ontario looked more like that, I guess with the name "chemical valley" you know what you are going to be getting.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 06:57      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful scenery.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 07:35      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! One day I'll visit the west coast. [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 27, 2008 09:25      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacMan, now that you mention it, I went for a swim at Goose Spit last week! I could not believe it, the water was warmer than Comox Lake! It wasn't too bad at all! I bobbed around in the waves for about half an hour. The top of the water was super warm, like almost hot tub warm! You should take a dip next time you're in the Comox Valley. There are alot of little pockets of warm ocean around here, I've noticed, I'm always pleasantly surprised. I am starting to get used to the creepy crawlies in the water too.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture