homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What is wrong with people?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is wrong with people?
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 24, 2008 08:51      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone see this story off of Yahoo?
New Zealand: Bizarre Name

People have actually tried to name their kids, among other things:
  • Fish and Chips
  • Keenan Got Lucy
  • Sex Fruit
  • Yeah Detroit (Yeah Detroit? In New Zealand?)

and have sadly succeeded with Number 16 Bus Shelter and Violence.

This is just sadistic. I had a hard enough time with certain nicknames easily derived from my full name. And my name is fairly mundane!

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 24, 2008 11:12      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parents who name their kids like that are sadistic and need to be hit over the head with a clue stick. It's bad enough what kids do to regular names to tease, just imagine what kids would do with Talula Does The Hula. [Eek!] It's stories like this that reinforce my belief that there should be a test people have to take before they are allowed to procreate and raise children.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 13:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hangin's too good for some people.

/me always wondered why my parents called me 'The Famous'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 13:39      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand where these people get this from! I used to know a guy named "Duper", I mean, what is that? Did the parents just look into his eyes after he was born and say "he looks like a Duper?" Freaks!!! All of them!!!

OTOH- I used to have a dog named banana hammock...sure do miss that little guy [cry baby]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 24, 2008 13:47      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
I don't understand where these people get this from! I used to know a guy named "Duper", I mean, what is that? Did the parents just look into his eyes after he was born and say "he looks like a Duper?" Freaks!!! All of them!!!

I guess they figured Super Duper would have been pretentious. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 15:59      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite possibly my favorite crappy name ever, "Peter Bangasser", made even more fun when I worked IT and had to set up his new user account, thanks to the 8-letter cap., oh, yes, that's right, everyday he got to come into work and sign in as 'P.Bangass'. HEHEHE! That's just too awful! [Razz]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 00:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife wants to name our first son, when we get aound to having one, Fabrizio, I think this wouldbe fine if we will be living over her but I would not want to be called FAB , or fabrizio and be living in the midwest.

He will have a hard enough time with his last name. (Tagliaferri) Yea I was teased once or twice about being a fairy, being gay and tagging fairys just 'cause my last name.

This point doesn't seems to sink in to my wife that our son will probably be teased and be called fab fairy his whole school career.

On the other hand " sex fruit" while a horrible name is a quite entertaining expression that I had not yet heard.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 06:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...am I the only person who immediately thought of little Bobby Tables? [Razz]
http://xkcd.com/327/

(and of course...the ALT of it!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 14:10      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
... Number 16 Bus Shelter ...

I'm sorry, but that's just genius.

How do apply by deed poll again? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 15:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
... Number 16 Bus Shelter ...

I'm sorry, but that's just genius.

How do apply by deed poll again? [Wink]

I'm reminded of the guy who wanted his name on his number plates, and the personalised plates were too expensive, so he changed his name by deed poll to LTX 147†

† - This is a true story, only the plate numbers have been changed to protect the fscking stupid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 04:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth be told, I've always been partial to the name "Sex Machine"... that and "Ivana Humpalott".

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 11:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick Hertz? I.P. Freely? Mike Hunt? Al Coholic? [Razz]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 20:37      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the significant other worked with a man, i swear this is true, whose name is Al Peano.

if there is a god, his middle initial is "A".....

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture