homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Tilting at Windmills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tilting at Windmills
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 04:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I wonder how much money he sees in Alt energy, or is he trying to become the next Energy Czar, but lets be truthful he does know oil. If he
is throwing his money into Alt Energy he may be right.

http://www.pickensplan.com/

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 06:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From TFA:
America is in a hole and it's getting deeper every day. We import 70% of our oil at a cost of $700 billion a year

USA trade deficit (2007) 794 billion.

Conclusion: eliminate your oil imports and you could (approximately) eliminate your trade deficit.

Step 1: Drive like aussies.
Aussies use 38% less oil per day than Americans. America could halve it's oil imports simply by reducing oil use to what's typical in Australia. Of course, some people would have to give up driving the kids to school in their Hummers...

Step 2: ???????

Step 3: Profit!!!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 06:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Of course, some people would have to give up driving the kids to school in their Hummers...

Wait a sec...do you mean that maybe some of these kids might take the...bus?!
(BTW, this is already paid for by taxes!)

Or, like in some .eu countries I know of...walk?!

You dirty filthy commie!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 07:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Of course, some people would have to give up driving the kids to school in their Hummers...

Wait a sec...do you mean that maybe some of these kids might take the...bus?!
(BTW, this is already paid for by taxes!)

Or, like in some .eu countries I know of...walk?!

You dirty filthy commie!

My wife walks our son to school every morning (when school's in, of course). There are parents that drive their kids in who live less than half as far from the school we do. It's un-fucking-believable.

What's worst is many of them drive huge SUVs, and they're also rude in the parking lot, park in people's driveways without asking, and are generally douches.

People suck.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 08:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Hi Y'All again, well most people do not multi-task a trip, it took a long time to teach the Mrs that going to the drug store did not have to be a different trip than the supermarket, or Post office, just multi-task trips and fuel costs will go down. The superslabs are not always the fastest way to a destination some times the back or seldom used routes are easier and less fuel hungry.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 08:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding trips to school, I'm also amused by local stories that in June, kids around here were trying to be *rebellious* by riding their bikes to school instead of taking the bus or rides from their parents. If this becomes 'cool,' I say all the more power to them!

Still, uncool as it may be, the school bus isn't there for no reason...it is a pretty efficient means of transporting large numbers of students.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 09:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Well the biggest problem is that most of the people below us on the intelligence list don't have a clue, if I can afford the gas, I can afford to waste it as I see fit.

Maybe we need to go back to rationing as per WW2 and coupon books, use up your stamps and you walk.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 11:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you guys get them in the states, but we've been having a rash of these big box store 'super centres' where it's like a mall, but outdoors.

The downside to this is that it can be up to a kilometre from store to store in these massive things, which is fine if you're willing to walk upwards of 3-4km just to do your shopping. Realistically, you might say, "walk around, fatty!" but these are big box stores in which you're likely carting around more stuff than you'd like to be hauling -- especially in our current weather which is about 100f with the humidex.

In all, it's mostly stupid.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 11:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your whining fails to impress me. [Razz]
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 11:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Your whining fails to impress me. [Razz]

I rarely go to them anyway. Aside from the fact that I refuse to shop at Walmart, most of the stores are overpriced nonsense designed for the lowest of the low of society: trailer trash and soccer moms in their SUVs. The only store in the one nearest my house that I use is Rona, which is a Canadian big box hardware store. And I have to drive there because I often cart away large quantities of hardware/lumber/whatever.

*hugs his Toyota Matrix*

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 15, 2008 12:58      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family lived in the suburbs for quite a while, but after my father died we couldn't afford such a expensive lifestyle, so we moved to a pretty central area, just next door to my former Elementary and less than a mile away from the High. My sisters just have to cross a street to go to school and my brother can get to his in a couple of minutes. There are plenty of establishments near so the need of a car is almost non existent, or we just use public transportation when going to more distant places.
Bucaramanga rocks! [thumbsup]

UPDATE:
Some visual aid
A closeup pf the city map, the white lines represent the main streets, and I made a typo, it's SISTERS' oopsie [Razz]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 01:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Regarding trips to school, I'm also amused by local stories that in June, kids around here were trying to be *rebellious* by riding their bikes to school instead of taking the bus or rides from their parents. If this becomes 'cool,' I say all the more power to them!

In 1964 50% of kids rode [bicycles] to school and the obesity rate was 12%…in 2004, 3% rode to school and the obesity rate was 45%.

Did a cursory Googling and didn't find any other source for that, but interesting anyway; if you can't appeal to their pocketbooks appeal to a) what's trendy and b) their vanity.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 03:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Lets see. The Shrub wants to open more leases for drilling, The tree huggers say use all the land you have under lease first. The Governator says not off Calif. and a man that has made more money on oil than the shrub and his dad says that "this is one problem we can not drill our way out of."

I hope reason prevails.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 10:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phew!
We can all relax now, one of the great minds of our time has a solution.

quote:
GWB:
there's some easy steps people can take. You know, if they're not in their home, they don't keep their air conditioning running

Problem solved.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 18:29      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember in Jr. High and high school the bus stop was a mile from my house, some friends had even longer walks to the bus stop. No one blinked an eye about kids walking on the side of the road, no sidewalks, no adults etc.

This day and age if i expected/allowed that behaviour for my children someone somewhere would blow a gasket about child endangerment.

I do not support the suv moms droppin' the darlins at the door, but in many communities the thinking is letting children walk to school is like sticking a note on their back "abuse me"

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 18:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Phew!

quote:
GWB:
there's some easy steps people can take. You know, if they're not in their home, they don't keep their air conditioning running

Problem solved.
Wow. You mean the same advice we heard from our parents and their parents before them? He's ahead of his time, I tells ya!

Next up: GWB's advice for traffic safety: "Look both ways before crossing!"

--------------------

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 19:23      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
What's worst is many of them drive huge SUVs... and are generally douches.

you should meet my dad, you would probably get along pretty well.
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 20:07      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
I remember in Jr. High and high school the bus stop was a mile from my house, some friends had even longer walks to the bus stop. No one blinked an eye about kids walking on the side of the road, no sidewalks, no adults etc.

Yaya ...

Yaya ...

Sigh ...

Yaya ...

Are you going to tell us now how deep the snow was, about the sister you carried on your shoulders, and how you had to get up two hours before you went to bed to make the trip?

L'Oreal doesn't make "the gray look" for a reason.

Can you say, "Whippersnapper"?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 20:09      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Phew!

quote:
GWB:

Problem solved.
So what you're saying is the solution is more hot air?

We have enough of this from Republicans anyway.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 07:16      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahaha col panic. I know it sounds like that old line about walking to school uphill both ways, but honestly it was that far from the bus stop. Mass. had just had the tax revolt and passed prop 2 1/2, and many many things were cut. Busses were one of them.

Whats wrong with gray? I like mine. I got lucky and they are the sliver sparkly gray hairs.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 14:38      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Phew!

quote:
GWB:

Problem solved.
Wow. You mean the same advice we heard from our parents and their parents before them? He's ahead of his time, I tells ya!

Next up: GWB's advice for traffic safety: "Look both ways before crossing!"

That might work if you're out vacationing. But, anyone here ever live in Florida? Knew a guy who was on the road all the time. Would leave the AC off, come back a few days later, and the inside air would be 95F. He'd turn the AC on, down to 80F, and wonder why he'd have a $300/month electric bill. Once he started keeping the place at a constant 80F while gone, his bill was almost always less than $100 (single guy, didn't do much cooking).

Meanwhile, we kept our place at a constant 80F for a one-story, 4 bedroom, 1800 sq ft home, all appliances electric and our bill was, at the highest, $130. Otherwise, it was normally around $80 during the cooler months.

One more example of thermodynamics and it's insatiable energy usage, well, because I feel like sharin'. The place we're renting is 1200 sq ft, loft space, ceilings that slope up from about 9 ft to 20 ft. With the heat or AC running on the colder or hotter days (< 70 F or >= 82 F inside) our electric bill has so far been no higher than about $45 (gas cooking). In the previous place, which was a 2 bed, 960 sq ft condo conversion with carpeting everywhere our electric was consistently higher. The difference? The thermostat here trips in what looks like 0.5° steps while the previous place's thermo was tripped in 2° steps.

This just goes to prove that not only does Shrub Jr. there have no grasp on how to actually conserve energy, he's got no grasp on simple, basic physics. And we let him have the keys to the big bombs?

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 15:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:

This just goes to prove that not only does Shrub Jr. there have no grasp on how to actually conserve energy, he's got no grasp on simple, basic physics. And we let him have the keys to the big bombs?

Silly tweety...you call yourself an American male? That's the *football.* [Wink]

--------------------

PaidPhreak
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2008 11:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Conclusion: eliminate your oil imports and you could (approximately) eliminate your trade deficit.

Step 1: Drive like aussies.
Aussies use 38% less oil per day than Americans. America could halve it's oil imports simply by reducing oil use to what's typical in Australia. Of course, some people would have to give up driving the kids to school in their Hummers...

Hmmm... don't they have road trains down there for overland transport of goods? While up here we burn a bunch more diesel shipping stuff in individual tractor trailers? That would account for much of the difference, i'd bet. A HUGE chunk of our oil consumption is used up by diesel for trucking.

Of course we used to do most shipping via REAL trains, before the teamsters used their clout to shut down a good part of our railway infrastructure. Good for job security for the truckers, bad for everyone else.

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2008 16:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaidPhreak:
Hmmm... don't they have road trains down there for overland transport of goods? While up here we burn a bunch more diesel shipping stuff in individual tractor trailers? That would account for much of the difference, i'd bet.

Nah, the road trains do exist, but they're used in remote areas of Australia, mostly to transport livestock. I don't have figures to hand, but I'd wager they account for less than 1% of total road freight.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture