homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Here kitty, kitty...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here kitty, kitty...
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 04:24      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I live in an old 1930's farmhouse and every summer I get field mice. So, I am thinking of getting a kitty. My only thought is if I get one, I will need to get another so they can play together. Then will I be known as the mid-thirties cat woman? [Eek!] What to do???

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 06:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, cats aren't required in pairs. They're perfectly content if you take care of them.

I've had 1 mouse in my house. My cat killed it. None since. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 06:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get a kitty from anouther farmer so that it has learned to hunt, kill and eat mice from the mother.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 07:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you have to have at least three cats before you start worrying about crazy cat lady territory.

If you get a male and a female and don't spay and neuter them, however, you'll look like this in no time!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 09:28      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat killed mice are not nice because they often leave the body as a present, or hide the body to play with it later. We once washed a dead mouse unknowingly with our clothing.... it was gross.

The best I've found is to try and find where they get in, place traps (either no kill or kill traps were you don't see the carnage if dead things creep you out -- like they do me) around the areas you know they've been. Get a cat or two to tell you when they get in.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 11:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cat was never taught how. She just instinctively did it. And she left it out as a present for me to see at 5am when I woke up. She just sat in front of it and looked at me like, "LOOK WHAT I DID!"

I threw out the dead mouse, and promptly praised the hell out of her.

She earned her keep that day.

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 13:24      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to keep in mind is that males will often simply play with a caught mouse and let it scarper away once they're bored with it -- unless they're really hungry, that is. Females go for the kill. *have had to sniff out tiny headless corpses hidden around the house*
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 13:32      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say, stick with one cat for now - it will have enough fun playing in the dirty, with mice, and with you. And cats will sleep entire days away.

The bodies will become less frequent as it gets older and as the mice population decreases to a point where it is no longer just killing for fun.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 14:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________geekygoddess __ Our cat finds mice and plays with them, however if the Siberian sees her playing with a mouse she walks over bites the mouse into two pieces and spits it out in front of the cat so much as to say thats what you do with mice.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 19:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cats can be a mixed blessing.

Our cat sometimes brings her trophies into the house without killing, them, plays with them for a while, then wanders off, leaving the waskelly wodent to scamper under the nearest bit of furniture where I have to deal with it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2008 00:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Cats can be a mixed blessing.

Our cat sometimes brings her trophies into the house without killing, them, plays with them for a while, then wanders off, leaving the waskelly wodent to scamper under the nearest bit of furniture where I have to deal with it.

This is why you need a cat that was trained on a farm by its mothre to hunt and kill rodents. instinct only gets the cat so far, it needs to learn to eat the damned things.

My wifes 13 year old male cat, which lives with her parents, still catches and eats a few mice a day. It never play with them. whenit wa syounger it wasn't required to feed the cat in the summer because it caught sufficient mice and birdas on its own. And this is an indoor family pet cat too.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2008 03:57      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Owning a cat is almost compulsory on this forum geekygoddess, so just go for it, and make sure you also post kitty photos, which is also a rule here. [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2008 16:32      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have two cats. Before we got the youngest, we decided to see how much of a hunter our oldest really was. Well, we went out, got him a mouse (we were asked at the store "pet or food", we told the checkout girl "depends") and got the mouse one of those little plastic fish tank things.

Our eldest, Oscar, decided that the mouse was a friend and would let the little rodent ride around on his back, let it out in the middle of the night, etc.

When the mouse was found crawling up my wife's leg while she brushed her teeth, the mouse had to go away. Far, far away. Poor Oscar was depressed for two weeks after.

Now, we got our youngest in Florida while we lived there. He, Julian, would always find a cricket, kill it, then either leave it in my wife's slipper as a present, or put it in his stash under the bed. Along with my loose change.

Mrs. Tweety agrees with Ashitaka, if you want a hunter, get a kitty from someone who's trained them to hunt. Otherwise, the field mice will move in and, along with your cat, will be throwing house parties.

Also, we found that Oscar was much happier having a playmate. That might not be true with all cats. Depends on their personality.

Oh, on a side note, we've got our kitties on the BARF (Bones and Raw Food) diet. They're in excellent health. Oscar, who's 10, started exhibiting signs of arthritis at age 8 (he was on Hill's Science Diet). Since we've switched him he's been much better, hopping up on everything where he can find a small niche for himself. He's also very frisky and at times kitten–like.

If you do get a kitty or 2 and want a good BARF recipe, let me know. I'll pass ours on along with the website we pilfered it from.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2008 18:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
My cat was never taught how. She just instinctively did it. And she left it out as a present for me to see at 5am when I woke up. She just sat in front of it and looked at me like, "LOOK WHAT I DID!"

Someone told me once that when cats do that what they're really doing is trying to teach you to hunt. Mama cats start their kittens off by showing them the dead prey. Your cat probably thought it was high time you learned to take care of yourself.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2008 19:44      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG,

One cat and you're on your way to being a cat lady. It always starts with one.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2008 06:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Someone told me once that when cats do that what they're really doing is trying to teach you to hunt. Mama cats start their kittens off by showing them the dead prey. Your cat probably thought it was high time you learned to take care of yourself.
Maybe, but her actions would suggest it was all about bragging. If she could smile, she'd have had an ear to ear grin. You could tell she was all proud of herself.
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2008 06:52      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess today I will go kitty hunting [Big Grin] You guys be thinking of names for my new addition. I should just name it Bill, because that is what it's gonna be, another bill... [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2008 07:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
o.O

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 26, 2008 11:08      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mean Kitty Song - catchy tune! [Applause]

More Mean Kitty

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture