homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My Ex's Newest Thing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Ex's Newest Thing
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 18:13      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So i get this note on Facebook.

Just was wondering what yall think about it!

So the title of this note pretty much covers what I want to say. I also want to clear up some things, I am NOT getting married right away, we have very tentatively set a date for 2010. I may have only been going out with my finance for about 5-6 months but we are amazingly close and in love and no one should ever be able to question that in the way it was questioned when we told my parents. To be fair, it did come as a very huge shock to them because of the amount of time we have known each other and apparently my age, though I am almost 19. This is not a decision that was made in haste and I will not be changing my mind about who I want to spend the rest of my life with. I may be young and some of you reading this note may think I have no clue what love is and I can't possibly know because I don't know who I am yet. Though those are wise points I am here to tell you that I DO KNOW what LOVE is and I plan to grow and find myself with my finance *Name Edited*. I am mature enough to make this decision and I hope those of you reading this are mature enough to respect it.

What do you think and then i will tell you what i think !!!!

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.

Posts: 79 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 18:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... yeah. She sounds really mature. Not at all like she's thowing a verbal tantrum over something someone said.

Back away slowly and head for the nearest exit *nod*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 12, 2008 18:33      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems more like a hormonal peak for me.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 19:08      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can't say it's exactly a shocker... She was *always* waaaaay too clingly.

*hums "Mother of Pearl" by Nellie McKay* [Wink]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 20:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I please suggest anonymizing that a bit? That's not a really nice thing to post and isn't taking the high road at all while you try to put her in an unfavorable position.
Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 22:00      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A.) Agree with dragonman97 on redacting the names of the innocent/not so innocent. It's just the nice thing to do.

B.) Uh, yeah, I remember hearing, saying, believing, etc. very similar words. Usually means they're trying to convince themselves that they're really in love. Usually doesn't last long enough for the marriage to even happen. And if it does, and they really are in love, mazel tov. May they live a very happy, healthy and long life together.

C.) Unless you're friends with your ex, don't continue to be involved. Step away politely and gingerly. No need to hurt feelings. Just untangle yourself.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 04:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend buying her a dictionary for an engagement present. It's fiancé, not finance!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 04:23      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
May I please suggest anonymizing that a bit? That's not a really nice thing to post and isn't taking the high road at all while you try to put her in an unfavorable position.

I tell it like it is. Sorry

--------------------

Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 04:25      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
*hums "Mother of Pearl" by Nellie McKay* [Wink]

*Sprocket hums along*

--------------------

Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 04:55      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so what i think:

I think that this is just her normal way that she reacts to anything. Stress ... etc.

All my friends are glad that i am not with her anymore.

I am happy as well. I just think that it is kinda funny.

My current Girlfriend, Nakia, said, "I'm just glad that you aren't with her anymore. Even if we end up not being together, I'll still be glad that you aren't with your ex."

So this is my closing comment.

*ends his posting on the matter*

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 07:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sprocket wrote:
I tell it like it is. Sorry

While I may agree with your opinion of her, that's a bullshit answer. Putting her real name on the forum adds absolutely nothing to the discussion and shows only that you're every bit as juvenile as your ex. I feel sorry for the next woman you break up with because you'll probably pull the same crap again.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 13, 2008 07:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sprocket, removing the real names would be the right thing to do.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 13, 2008 08:20      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The note tells me that you have some personal issues concerning your ex girlfriend and have decided to make yourself feel superior to her by airing her dirty laundry in front of a bunch of people who don't know her. You also seek to cause her further humiliation by posting her real name because you say you "tell it like it is" when asked to remove her name from the post.

If this offends you sorry, I just call them like I see them.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 09:41      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh... youth...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 17:15      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There All Edited

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 17:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket:
There All Edited

Not quite.

The name of her 'finance' (Freudian slip?) is still there.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 20:27      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I recommend buying her a dictionary for an engagement present. It's fiancé, not finance!

Maybe it was a Freudian slip on her part?

Personally, it just reminds me of what's known in some parts of Dublin as a "Fibber's wedding". Basically, there's a bar that's been around forever for alternative/rocker/emo/whatever-kids-dressing-in-black-call-themselves-these-days kids called Fibber's. Frequently, they declare themselves (to all and sundry) as engaged within months of meeting, declaring that they know love and that this is it, with the breakup following not too far behind.

Actually, it'd be really interesting to see if this occurrence has any other names in other parts of the world. [Smile]

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
FrogQueen
Maximum Newbie
Member # 17878

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 09:24      Profile for FrogQueen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was I ever THAT young?

--------------------
pot'hbe'chug yay qatlh p"eghlu'
(If winning is not important, why keep score?)

Posts: 15 | From: Melbourne, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 21:18      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the relationship is measured in months, I think it's too early to marry. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong decision, and lifelong decisions deserve serious thought and consideration to make properly.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2008 05:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
If the relationship is measured in months, I think it's too early to marry. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong decision, and lifelong decisions deserve serious thought and consideration to make properly.

Or at least adequate volumes of alcohol.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture