homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Im Quiting Smoking (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Im Quiting Smoking
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 10:36      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so i just figured i would write this out so i can have some accountability to yall. As of Sunday June 1st, I, James Peter Bishop, have officially quit smoking! I did it for about 8 months and its something that i am not proud that i started and also the money that i have spent on it in the past 8 months. So i will have my last official cigarette tonight before bed!!!!!!

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.

Posts: 79 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 10:58      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

As the Brits would say: good on ya!

Just as a friendly reminder...
3 packs/wk. * 4 weeks/mo. * 8 months = 96 packs you've smoked * $5.75/pack = $552

After 3 days, the nicotine physical addiction will have released it's grip... 3 days... 72 hours! After that you've just got to fight the psychological addiction, the habitual aspect of it... smoking in the car, smoking at work, smoking after sex...

Find something to do besides smoke, that's the key. Generally things you do with your hands and mouth are best; chew on the end of a pencil, chew your fingernails (more), eat something, drink some water... And something else: always carry something you can fiddle with between your fingers.. a pen or pencil or something similar. And try to avoid other smokers as much as possible.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 11:01      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought gum last week in prep for this!!!

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 12:19      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do this. I quit about six years ago. Just don't replace the cigarettes with chocolate, bad idea [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 12:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause]
Your lungs will thank you for this decision.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 14:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________geekygoddess How dare you search under chocolate as a health food, then look for the articles from UCSD. My blood pressure is lower because of chocolate, and cranberry extract.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 15:25      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, I realize that some chocolate is good for you, but an excess of it just makes my ass bigger [Eek!] And, that is not a good thing [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 15:29      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sprocket, it isn't easy to give up smoking. I tried many times before I finally quit. I hope you don't mind if I give you a couple of tips that helped me.

Firstly, although you are announcing this publicly to get some back up, remember that the only person whose opinion really matters is you. Sometimes people will be supportive, other times not, but this does not matter if you are completely sure this is what you really want. For me there were two main reasons that finally persuaded me to quit. One was that my wife was pregnant and I did not want to be a father that told his children not to smoke while he did, the other was that if at some future date I contracted lung cancer, I would of course have a slow and painful death, and frankly if I'd prefer people to sympathise with my tragic situation, rather than think of me as a twit. Frivolous and vain I know, but that's me! Your reasons will probably be different to mine, but think about them long and hard, so you are really sure this is what you want.

Secondly don't expect superhuman willpower and strength from yourself, and avoid having an all or nothing attitude. I counted each day that I had gone without a cigarette, but I also made a deal with myself that if I broke down, and had a cigarette, I would not say the enterprise had failed, but just restart the counter and try to make more days the next time. Whatever happened, success or failure, I would not give up trying.

Lastly as part of this plan built around expectation of failure, I also made a plan as to how I would deal with any sudden craving. I decided that I would say to myself, yes you can have a cigarette, but in 5 minutes time, and I want you to spend that 5 minutes thinking hard about what that cigarette will do to your body, maybe visualising the tar deposits it will leave on your lungs etc. etc. Then if after 5 minutes you still want that cigarette, sure go ahead and light up, but again don't smoke it absent-mindedly, concentrate on all the sensations of smoking, and decide before each puff if this really is such a wonderful pleasure.

It worked for me and I did not need to restart that clock. After six months I lit up one cigarette to see if I had been fooling myself, but one puff was enough. What a disgusting thing to do - I have not felt the slightest desire for tobacco since then.

Good luck. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 12 posted June 01, 2008 15:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess:
MoMan, I realize that some chocolate is good for you, but an excess of it just makes my ass bigger [Eek!] And, that is not a good thing [Big Grin]

You just think it's not a good thing

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 17:17      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your support and suggestion and ideas and thoughts. I think they will help with me in my endeavor to quit smoking!!!

--------------------

Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 19:47      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of 10:45pm on June First I Have Smoked My Last Cigarette!!!!!!!!

IM DONE!!!!!

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 01, 2008 21:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Sprocket go!

[thumbsup] [Applause]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 22:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:

From my perspective it is.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 02:23      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From mine too.

"I like big butts and I cannot lie..." *sings*

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 07:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a contract with someone. For every cigarette you smoke beyond now you will give them $100. Cash.

That'll make the thought of a cigarette horrify you pretty quickly.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 02, 2008 09:33      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent, Sprocket. I'm also an ex. The first time I quit was 2000, about 2 weeks before New Year's (!!). All was good, then got a phone call New Year's Day (7 am) that my mom was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer. After the complete mental breakdown and tear ducts drying up, I lit up. (Oh, BTW, my mom never smoked a day in her life, except when she tried a cig at age 4, with her mom. She turned green and was sick for hours, never touched a smoke again in her entire life.)

A forget when, but sometime later I became quite ill, didn't touch a cig the entire time. When I got better, had no cravings whatsoever.

So, if you're having trouble quitting, just do as I did, get really, really sick (make sure to spike the temp at 104 F), stay ill for about a week, and you should be cured of the habit. [Eek!]

Now, for full disclosure, yes, once in a while I do pick up a cig, but, man, it sure does taste bad, unless I'm already well past tipsy. This does not happen often as I'm mostly (99%) not anywhere near cigarettes when drinking.

[Smile]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 11:50      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Make a contract with someone. For every cigarette you smoke beyond now you will give them $100. Cash.

One of my friends tried that - betting people 10 he could stop smoking. Got up to it costing him almost 300 for that fag we caught him smoking...
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2008 18:00      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go! My mom died of lung cancer and I would not want even my worst enemy to go through that. So think about the tips people suggest and don't look at set backs as a reason not to quit. I want to be posting with you all years from now. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2008 04:50      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sprocket, just wanted to check in with you and see how you were doing? Hope it's going well for you [Big Grin]

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 11:37      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We want a progress report!!!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 11:39      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that MMK. We want to know how you're doing.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 15:04      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok So yall want a progress report.

I have to be honest that i have had one cigarette in the past week. That is it! I think that there is no shame in that!

The nicotine is not really the problem now. I am over that!!!

ITs the habbitual part that is the killer. I see people smoking and that makes me want to smoke!!!

so other than that i am doing good i think!

--------------------

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 20:14      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! suck in the unfoul air! Inflate those alveolis with sweet succulent o2. Whoof! Can you smell it? You smell nothing? PERFECT!!!

Whooo Hoooo!!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 21:51      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think your doing great. Keep it up. It's not easy, but you can do it!!! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------

Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2008 03:28      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the thing is the cig i did smoke i didnt really enjoy it like i used too!!!!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture