homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » How many of me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of me?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 01, 2008 08:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have absolutely nothing to do, you can find out, statistically, how many people in the U.S. should share your name:
http://ww2.howmanyofme.com/

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 08:46      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

And it's my dad... [Big Grin]

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 12:14      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
247 of me....that's cool, thanks Snaggy!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 12:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

...and none of them are me! [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 13:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say noone has my last name in the US, but my whole family lives there .
strange.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 13:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
304 million americans, and not one Famous Druid?

So I tried searching for my other name (the one on my passport) and found 5.

Oddly enough, I'd bet there's more than 5 of me in Canada (or even New Zealand), the scottish influence is stronger there.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 14:19      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are only 3 with my name and my father is one of them so I guess that means I am a very rare commodity. But not as rare as Jace.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 14:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________Snaggy__ According to the book at the Vietnam Memorial another Hospital Corpsman, with the same First Name, Middle Initial, and the Same Surname as me was killed in 1968. That to me is slightly scary. From this search without the initial the claim is fifteen.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 14:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says there is nobody in the US with my last name too, but I know for a fact there are at least half a dozen in my area in addition to myself.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 14:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no one with my last name. Not even me. [crazy]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 14:54      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They found ZERO matches for my dad, I've found at least 1 other person with his name via google in the past. He has a very unique name.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 01, 2008 16:52      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first name is pretty common, so it doesn't surprise me that I got nearly half a million hits from it.
My surname, however, got no hits. My surname it's not rare depite its bad reputation, and with over 700000 colombians living in the US, I thought there would be at least a pair of hits. The only person I know with exacly my name is my dad.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 17:28      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 people have my name in the US.

And yet, two of us ended up in the same town, working for the same (although incredibly large) company.

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 19:00      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is only 1 of me...
except my father has the same name, so I guess
one of us is dead or in witness protection.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted June 01, 2008 20:18      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, this page seems flaky. C'mon, Barack Obama is not American? What about Madonna?
Recursive FAIL
 -

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 11:39      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, per the FAQ, about 19% of people will get no hits for one or both of their names. I'm one of those, as is my mother.

They're using census bureau data, which omits relatively uncommon responses to begin with, and doesn't seem like a great source for this type of thing anyway. But it is a cute toy I guess.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 13:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It calculates 461 people with my name. Not too surprising, as my first name is really common, and my last is relatively so. However, I have found that the origin for my surname is a little unusual. Most who share my surname are German or English in descent, but mine comes from a Danish name (somewhat corrupted during immigration by removing the "-son" suffix).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 13:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Ah, per the FAQ, about 19% of people will get no hits for one or both of their names. I'm one of those, as is my mother.

They're using census bureau data, which omits relatively uncommon responses to begin with, and doesn't seem like a great source for this type of thing anyway. But it is a cute toy I guess.

Quit ruining everyones complaining by reading things like FAQs.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 16:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Quit ruining everyones complaining by reading things like FAQs.

According to the FAQ: The main source of inaccuracy is the assumption that first and last names are statistically independent. For example, about 1/15,000 have the first name 'Solomon', and about 1/3,000 have the surname 'Cohen' so it calculates about 1 in (15,000 * 3,000=) 45,000,000 will be named Solomon Cohen, which works out at 6 in the USA.

In real life, first and last names are far from statistically independent, people with Cohen as a last name are far more likely to name their son Solomon, it's a fair bet there are hundreds of Sol Cohens in the USA.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 16:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you know how many of you there are, find out where they live in the USA or the UK

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 17:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
Now that you know how many of you there are, find out where they live in the USA or the UK

Now that's more like it.

*whips out a replica of the sword from highlander and runs off yelling "There can be only one!"

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 02, 2008 17:12      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to GENS there are some people with my surname in the US, specifically in Washington, Texas, New York, Massachusetts, Florida, Tennessee, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Connecticut. No hits for the UK, so maybe there might be less than a hundred of them.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2008 05:14      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently there are at least 2772 people with my name in the U.S. That's for my real name -- zero hits for Moe or Monkey.

On the other hand, Google brings back 5,810 pages with "Moe Monkey" -- top hit, Geek Culture Forums, woo hoo!

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture