homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Am I going to Hell??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Am I going to Hell???
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 19:01      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I live in the middle of nowhere and yesterday I had a visitor in my yard. A giant snapping turtle. Well, with me being the scardy cat that I am, I took a shovel and moved it into a ditch next to my road because it was creepy. I awoke this morning and pulled out of my driveway and (Oh the horror!!) saw his poor, lifeless, carcass starring right at me. Now, everytime I pull in or out of my driveway I am reminded that i am a turtle murderer:( How ever will I sleep tonight? [Frown]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 20:20      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Words:

Turtle Soup

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 20:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're scared of turtles?

Too weird for me. [crazy]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 27, 2008 20:58      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super Mario Bros.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 03:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________geekygoddess You are no more a Murderer than Charles Manson, geekygoddess you had no control of that turtle and its wanderings then a flea you only redirected it momentarily, it chose to go on the road and get hit.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 04:41      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, TFD, I am scared of giant snapping turtles who can naw off your body parts. And Mo Man, thanks for the reassuring comment. I didn't have any turtle nightmares last night, so all is well. But I think today I need to remove the corpse from the road so every time it gets run over I don't hear the crackling of the shell. [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 07:13      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 18:00      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
You're scared of turtles?

Too weird for me. [crazy]

TFD:

I'm not familiar with the turtles you have on your end of the planet, but the North American common snapping turtle is scary. They can easily run 20 or 30 pounds, and contrary to what geekygoddess said, they won't gnaw off your digits, they will amputate them. They strike like a rattlesnake, and hold on like a pit bull terrier. A snapper can stretch its neck halfway back across it's shell to bite, and if you get one to grab hold of a plank, you can lift it off the ground by its bite (if you can lift that much weight.)

Picture a miniature croc wearing full plate mail, and you won't be far off.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 18:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dave:
I'm not familiar with the turtles you have on your end of the planet, but the North American common snapping turtle is scary...

...Picture a miniature croc wearing full plate mail, and you won't be far off.

Attack of the killer turtles.

Is this the American equivalent of drop bears? [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 18:56      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel bad geekygoddess. Snapping turtles that come in yards down here end up on the dinner table in a sauce piquant or soup. That is unless it's less than 6 pounds. In that case it's best to throw it back in the bayou and let it grow some more. And yes, they are quite tasty thank you very much.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 18:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dave:
I'm not familiar with the turtles you have on your end of the planet, but the North American common snapping turtle is scary...

...Picture a miniature croc wearing full plate mail, and you won't be far off.

Attack of the killer turtles.

Is this the American equivalent of drop bears? [Wink]

Unfortunately, snapping turtles aren't imaginary
(granted, this is an extremely large variety)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 23:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid question time - I thought my sense of humor was adequately warped at this point, but I flat out do not get the Penny Arcade strip that Jace posted. (Nor do I follow the relevance.)

Could someone help this humor-impaired dragon out?

OTOH, *this* is absolutely ace:
http://www.b3ta.com/board/8399724

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 23:23      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Stupid question time - I thought my sense of humor was adequately warped at this point, but I flat out do not get the Penny Arcade strip that Jace posted. (Nor do I follow the relevance.)

Could someone help this humor-impaired dragon out?

It is the Blue Shell from Mario Kart, when you throw one of these it automatically hits the person in 1st place.
http://mariokart.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Shell

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 29, 2008 04:38      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I tried out Mario Kart Wii, that blue shell was quite powerful: Not only it knocks out racers on it's way to get the one in first place, but also when it does, it creates a big explosion field that would knock out anyone near the leader.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
When I tried out Mario Kart Wii, that blue shell was quite powerful: Not only it knocks out racers on it's way to get the one in first place, but also when it does, it creates a big explosion field that would knock out anyone near the leader.

Yes, just like it did in Mario Kart: Double Dash for the GC, Mario Kart for the DS. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 29, 2008 07:08      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know about them, never played the DS version and so little the GC version... Anyway, I was far more impressed by the wheel control and did notice the effect of the blue shell when trying to pass the leader and thought it was new.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife loves that stupid ass steering wheel. I can't steer the vehicles to save my life with it. So she gets the wheel, and I use the wiimote/nunchuk combo.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
My wife loves that stupid ass steering wheel. I can't steer the vehicles to save my life with it. So she gets the wheel, and I use the wiimote/nunchuk combo.

Try this. As stupid as it looks, it does seem like it would help until you get the hang of it.
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 17:23      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Unfortunately, snapping turtles aren't imaginary
(granted, this is an extremely large variety)

I think that pic is actually an alligator snapper. The common snapper lacks this specimen's pronounced carapace ridges. The alligator snapper is mostly limited to the southeastern US, it is significantly larger than the common, it is slightly less aggressive (most of the time), and (fortunately for the guys in the photo) it has a much shorter neck. Were that a common snapper, the photo would likely contain fewer thumbs and fingers, and more blood.

EDIT: If I see a snapping turtle on the lawn this summer, I'll try to get a photo. It may not happen, though, as I'll likely be moving from the Deforested City to the City At The Centre Of Itself for the next year or so...

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 17:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an alligator snapping turtle and they are mostly in the southeast (mostly around the Mississippi river, in fact). Welcome to Tennessee!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 20:39      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's all join in a moment of silence for the turtle.................... I think he is smiling down on all of us right now [Big Grin]

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 21:06      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a picture of the common snapping turtle just so TFD can get a look at both species. This one's a monster though. If it would have been living around here it probably wouldn't have lived long enough to get to that size.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 21:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here is a picture of a dropbear.

'Snapping turtle' indeed, do you really think we aussies have never heard of photoshop?

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 05:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Not sure about drop Bears, though I have been face to face with a Northern Michigan Black Bear. As a Lad I watched the neighbor tease a Snapper, with a shovel until the Snapper bit the shovel handle into three pieces, the handle, the bit in the turtles mouth, and the wood above the metal spade.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 11:22      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And here is a picture of a dropbear.

'Snapping turtle' indeed, do you really think we aussies have never heard of photoshop?

I'm sorry if you really think I'm trying to trick you but the picture I posted is genuine. In any event, a faculty member of McMaster University considers snappers real enough to give them their own web page complete with references.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture