homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I bought a guitar.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I bought a guitar.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 24, 2008 17:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally, after several years without one, I bought an acoustic/electric guitar. Yay! I have really missed having one. (I do have an electric guitar, but it's just not the same for spontaneous playing.)

I looked around at guitars on the web and in a store, and kinda settled on a Yamaha CPX 700, due to price and feaures. It didn't sound quite as nice as a Bluenote (?) guitar I looked at, but that one was out of my price range anyway. I tried one of the APX models, they actually felt better to play since they are thinner, but it just didn't have the sound I wanted.

So anyway, before I ordered one from the shop I had a look on eBay, and low and behold there was the perfect one for sale locally, with a great case too. So I took a chance and bid. I won the bid, but the auction didn't reach reserve price... luckily for me I received a second chance offer and the seller sold it to me for that bid price. I saved at least hmmm, 300 bucks or so. [Cool]

So yep, I received the guitar, it's in great shape, with an awesome hardshell case, sounds good, plays great, is awesome through my guitar amp, and I love it.

/me is a happy rock and roller. [Big Grin]

here's a stock picture of the model I have...

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2008 17:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! The Acoustic/Electric is nice and versatile, and I think you're right about the "just pick up"-ability of an acoustic, you don't have to plug in cords and string them all over and keep them out of your way if you just want to pick it up and mess around for a bit.

Yamaha make a pretty reasonable guitar, they're not Gibson or Martin, but they're pretty darn respectable.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2008 18:01      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff [Smile]

My brother got the APX 500 last year and he's got some rather good results out of it so far (soon to be heard on the Airburst soundtrack [Wink] ) and I think Les, who wrote Pop Pop Pop, also uses a Yamaha when he's playing acoustic.

If you want some fun and a different sound, try mic'ing it up. It might sound a bit daft when it's an electro acoustic, but you get a completely different sound (and you can mix the pickup + mic feeds).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2008 03:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice [Applause] [Applause] And don't downplay the quality of Yamahas compared to other brands - of course a Martin will sound better, but you'll be paying for it for a long long time. Yamaha acoustics deserve their reputation as well built, nice sounding, sensibly priced instruments. I would be happy to trade in my chinese (?) no-name guitar for a Yamaha. [Big Grin]

And I am a bit envious that you've gone for an electro-acoustic. For people like me, who are basically folkies that don't play too well, adding a little bit of reverb can make a very simple fingerstyle sound quite impressive. Let us know when your first single is released! [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2008 16:50      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember everything!
I remember everything little thing, as if it happened yesterday
I was barely seventeen, and I once killed a boy with a Fender Guitar
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember that it wasn't at all easy

It required the perfect combanation of the right power chords
And the percise angel from which to strike!

The guitar bled for about a week afterwords
And the blood was zoot, dark and rich, like wild berrys
The blood of the guitar was Chuck Berry red
The guitar bled for about a week afterwords
But it rung out beautifly
And I was able to play notes that I had never even heard before

- First thing that came to mind, by Meatloaf

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2008 07:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Sweet! The Acoustic/Electric is nice and versatile, and I think you're right about the "just pick up"-ability of an acoustic, you don't have to plug in cords and string them all over and keep them out of your way if you just want to pick it up and mess around for a bit.

Yamaha make a pretty reasonable guitar, they're not Gibson or Martin, but they're pretty darn respectable.

Yamaha > Gibson for acoustics.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 20:41      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rock on Snaggy! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
somenewdude
Maximum Newbie
Member # 18303

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2008 13:06      Profile for somenewdude         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks cool. Hopefully you'll get a lot of use out of it.
Posts: 19 | From: nowhere | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture