homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Wii Fit, bringing a dose of depressing reality to overweight gamers.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wii Fit, bringing a dose of depressing reality to overweight gamers.
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2008 09:55      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's depressing. Got a Wii Fit yesterday, I weigh 220.5 and am "obese". Plus it made my Mii chubby and put my age at 58, I'm 41. It was funny watching the Kevin Smith Mii compete with me in Hula Hoop though!

I had not weighed myself in years and was surprised at my weight. I knew I was overweight but not 60 lbs overweight!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 23, 2008 10:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn machine must be programmed wrong! [Razz]

WiFit, cool, is it fun?

Nitrozac asks, it there a snowboarding game on it, or do we we have to buy that separately. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2008 10:48      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far fun, have not done much yet. The running made me sweat, and I need to wear shoes next time running because my floor has no padding (you don't use the balance board when you run, you put the WiiMote in your pocket).

It has Ski Slalom & Ski Jump in the Balance Games but no snowboarding.

BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2008 11:15      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want one!!!!

I want a Wii Fit!!!

*ahem* hehe [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 23, 2008 11:28      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll probably be buying one tonight or over the week-end - if I can find one, of course. The two places I checked Wednesday were out: the first was only selling to pre-orders (I knew I should have done so!), the second didn't get its full order. But I'm ready to even go to BestBuy if need be! I want one!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2008 11:47      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo:
I think a lot of places are all out of stock. EB Games said that if I didn't pre-order then they had none available. The girl at Future Shop said that they might get more in next week but can't be sure. *sigh* It's looks like fun and a lot of work though! I like the yoga part of it.

Ooh! if you haven't heard about them, you might to check them out. They operate out by your neck of the woods too. [Smile]

http://www.cardiopleinair.ca/

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 23, 2008 12:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo, if you find two, buy us one!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2008 15:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, we actually got them here before the merkins, we usually get stuff months later.

Casa del Druid has had Wii Fit for a couple of weeks now, it's quite good.

It comes with yoga, aerobics, and muscle workouts, as well as "balance games" - that's where you'll find the snow-sports (snow-boarding is available, but you have to play the ski games for a while to 'unlock' them) as well as my favourite - 'Table Tilt' - kind of a marble madness for Wii. The druidlings really love the tightrope walking game.

It weighs you, calculates your BMI, and assesses your fitness level based on how you do on daily body tests. The feedback it gives during the workouts is quite good, it will say things like "You seem to be having trouble raising your left leg - try..."

The workouts available initially are really gentle, more demanding ones are released when the Wii deems you capable.

Don't get too stressed by the Wii fitness age it gives you, it varies wildly from one day to the next, I've been rated anywhere between 34 and 57.

And yes, it made my Mii chubby too. [Mad]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2008 17:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have a little competition for my Wii Fit http://tinyurl.com/59rkbg
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 27, 2008 21:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo! You inspired the current JoT. [Smile]
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 21:22      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw shucks I'm honored to be an inspiration from my perspiration.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 28, 2008 14:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why every guy should buy their girlfriend Wii Fit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v31qxrXsxv0

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 28, 2008 14:32      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

I have one big problem with this video: does the girl knows she is being filmed? If not, the guy deserves a beating - and a dumping.

Edit: found out. She didn't know, and he didn't tell her he would put that where the world could see her. He's a short-sighted (not to say just plain stupid) asshole. (For those who may need it spelled out: how will she react when her boss will tell her he saw the vid? The grocery clerk? The random cyclist on the road? All the teenage boys from the nearest high-school?)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 15:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a family forum, so I won't post a link, but...

Anyone who values their sanity should not google for nude wii tennis.
(hint: he's not holding the wiimote with his hand)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 28, 2008 15:40      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<whiner>
Family forum?! I'm the yougest active member and just got 17 this Sunday! Just put a NSFW (NSFF, perhaps?) tag and post that link!
</whiner>

Nom nom at Sanggy's link [Smile] Wii is such an awesome console!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 28, 2008 16:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo: oh dear, boyfriend is toast, and rightly so. now I feel dirty for sharing that link.

I did buy a Nitro a Wii Fit though. [Big Grin]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 16:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stereo: oh dear, boyfriend is toast, and rightly so. now I feel dirty for sharing that link.

I did buy a Nitro a Wii Fit though. [Big Grin]

Then why the hell is the webcam showing this?

-

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 18:05      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
<whiner>
Family forum?! I'm the yougest active member and just got 17 this Sunday! Just put a NSFW (NSFF, perhaps?) tag and post that link!
</whiner>

No, don't. I already have to floss my brain because of the mental image; I don't want to have to gouge my eyes out as well.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 21:17      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I officially hate one of my coworkers! He got a Wii Fit and it told him he was underweight, bastard!
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:

I have one big problem with this video: does the girl knows she is being filmed? If not, the guy deserves a beating - and a dumping.

Edit: found out. She didn't know, and he didn't tell her he would put that where the world could see her. He's a short-sighted (not to say just plain stupid) asshole. (For those who may need it spelled out: how will she react when her boss will tell her he saw the vid? The grocery clerk? The random cyclist on the road? All the teenage boys from the nearest high-school?)

Blah blah blah.

The ends justify the means in this case.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 29, 2008 09:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you missed it on our front page, here is the hilarious

Ten Ways To Use Your Wii Fit... after it has told you you're fat
http://blog.webleeddesign.com/?p=44

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 04:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The JoT made it onto Big Fat Deal: http://www.bfdblog.com/2008/05/29/fat-kids-comic/#comment-141523

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 17:54      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
Well that's depressing. Got a Wii Fit yesterday, I weigh 220.5 and am "obese". Plus it made my Mii chubby and put my age at 58, I'm 41. It was funny watching the Kevin Smith Mii compete with me in Hula Hoop though!

I had not weighed myself in years and was surprised at my weight. I knew I was overweight but not 60 lbs overweight!

MMHMM interesting, apparently according to weight watchers people over 6 foot 6 don't exist.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 19:23      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
quote:

MMHMM interesting, apparently according to weight watchers people over 6 foot 6 don't exist.
Or are not human beings at all.
THEY'RE ALIENS! NBA IS A CONSPIRACY!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2008 14:31      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
quote:

Or are not human beings at all.
THEY'RE ALIENS! NBA IS A CONSPIRACY!

I didn't think I was human. Now I know for sure - thanks weight watchers.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture