homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Degreeness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Degreeness
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2008 18:45      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that ye'd have noticed me gone (I'm not a particularly prolific poster at the best of times).... but I disappeared for a while.

That was primarily to finish up the last of my final year of my undergrad degree... the dreaded thesis. It sucked up my life.

So now... a month and a bit, and some alopecia, later I'm free! I'm actually going to get a degree! What's more, while I don't have my marks, my supervisor seems to want to publish my idea... which shows that I, at least, didn't suck at it. (Basically, I'll be graduating with an upper second class honours (or a 2:1))

In other words, I'm announcing to the world in general (and this forum) that I'm finally free.

It's kind of hilarious though... when presenting my project to other students, nobody except those in my field got it. Anyone in the field got excited, while the others would just stare blankly. On the other hand I got tentacles into my project, which is always a good thing.

Anyway, now to spend a summer relaxing, growing my hair back, and deciding if a postgrad would be a good thing to do.

Yay... now to curl up and sleep for several months.

Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2008 20:56      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! If you plan on entering a graduate program, I would recommend reading http://www.phdcomics.com [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2008 01:14      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! I know the feeling of post-thesis-relief - though now I'm pooping myself about my finals, which start in a week [ohwell]

quote:
Originally posted by Anovadea:
It's kind of hilarious though... when presenting my project to other students, nobody except those in my field got it. Anyone in the field got excited, while the others would just stare blankly. On the other hand I got tentacles into my project, which is always a good thing.

Hah - I show people in my field my project, and the usual response is to pat me on the head and go "there, there". But then I'm not sure I totally understand what I was supposed to be doing! [Smile]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2008 13:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

I remember the feeling when I walked out of my last exam, knowing I'd never have to sit another in my life.

btw - I recently had the opportunity to make a good first impression by pronouncing 'Aoife' correctly, thanks.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2008 02:27      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Anovadea. Did anyone say "magnificent valor" yet? What is your project that has tentacles? (Exploring the origins of Snaggy?)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 20, 2008 09:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tentacular Congratulus!

/me slaps his muscular hydrostats in your general direction. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gina's Geek World
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10225

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted May 20, 2008 10:20      Profile for Gina's Geek World   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] Congrats on graduating! I know the feeling of finally being done, I was sooo exausted when I graduated that I didn't think I would ever take a class again. Well I'm back at it now trying to get my Masters, ugh!

I know what you mean about those blank stares from people outside your field, which is about everyone I know. I will tell them about something that is exciting to me, and they say to me "ok now say that again in english", then I have to bring it down to their level. LOL

--------------------
The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change and the REALIST adjusts his sails.(author unknown)

Posts: 2 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2008 12:09      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Congratulations Anovadea. Did anyone say "magnificent valor" yet? What is your project that has tentacles? (Exploring the origins of Snaggy?)

Right this is where the blank stares will kick in (I even get them from other computer scientists). Basically, due to a spate of insane madness (as opposed to the sane kind), I chose to work with a field called Multi-Agent Systems. Even trying to explain what an Agent is is a tough problem (ask 10 Agent experts and get at least 11 answers).

The bottom line is that MASs are more or less intelligent distributed systems. The thing is, the agents have the freedom to talk to whatever other agent they want to in order to achieve their aims. So my project had to do with how we then determine the patterns in which they talk... because this has potential network debugging properties.

I needed to work out how to display the communication, and what level of view to take. So, I took a relatively high level view and exploited some interesting properties found in this tentacle (requires javascript - may cause your computer to implode... Processing in any form is heavy on the cpu) and got a weird little tentacly interface.

When it came to the presentation, nobody quite noticed that the title-bar on the screenshot of the app was titled "Overfiend". [Smile]

By the way, metasquares - I'm currently loving phdcomics. It's weird, I heard about it from about 4 different people in the space of a week. It must have been a sign or something. [Smile]

Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2008 15:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aoife even if there were two of me, I couldn't understand that. I think you have probably got a brain the size of a (small) planet. This might account for the alopecia (is there a Gaelic spelling for that? Well it sounds Gaelic anyway). It's just that because your skull is too small to contain this brainyness, small particles of neural matter are being forced though your skull and popping out the puny hair follicles.

I surmise that in this situation my congratulations may be superfluous, but I offer them anyway. And I just checked my blank stare in at the door. Have a lovely summer. [Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 20, 2008 17:50      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anovadea:
(...), I chose to work with a field called Multi-Agent Systems. Even trying to explain what an Agent is is a tough problem (ask 10 Agent experts and get at least 11 answers).

The bottom line is that MASs are more or less intelligent distributed systems. The thing is, the agents have the freedom to talk to whatever other agent they want to in order to achieve their aims. So my project had to do with how we then determine the patterns in which they talk... because this has potential network debugging properties.

Cool! I too am interested in MAS, alhtough not being full-time in school anymore, and my work not being remotely related, and the many other, shorter-term interests I have, I don't spend much time on it.

My university doesn't use any kind of undergrad thesis system, and the closest I did was in my advanced AI class, where the final exam was replaced by a small search-and-share project. I did mine on fuzzy (artificial) neural networks. The two subjects are closely related: agents in a MAS are free to talk to whichever agents they want/need to, while neurons in an ANN usually have their "communication network" preset - all they can change is the importance they give to input signals.

Both are of great interests in the AI fields, and can be used together in a same application: an agent can use ANN in order to be able to learn the best approach in order to complete its task. Or agents could be used in a more "relaxed" ANN system, enabling individual "neurons" to do more complex tasks. Or more logically, each agent could be both a sub-network and part of a larger net.

In any case, good work, and feel free to share your findings here - I don't post as much as I used to do, but I still read everyday!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture