homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Switcheroo (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Switcheroo
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 13:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I did the deed today.

Mirkwood, my PC, is dying. I can probably save it, but it's eight years old and I'm reaching a point in my life when I need something better. Something that can run the software I use at work. Something I can use to both crunch lots of numbers and write a thesis. Something I can cart around to give talks instead of begging labmates to lend me their laptops - no one likes a routine beggar.

So I've socked away the money. I wasn't planning to do this until the end of June, but the writing is on the proverbial wall with the PC and I'm not sure how much longer I can get it to last. I've bought a MacBook. A 13 inch white one. With a 250GB HD and 4GB of RAM. Believe it or not, I need that much computer. It'll be here in a few days.

With my luck, I'll end up in a PC lab after I graduate. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'll either work around it or buy another PC - I'll be making more money after I graduate. A lot more if certain plans come to fruition. Right now, a Mac is what I need.

I haven't dropped a chunk of change like that since I replaced my old road bike following the great SUV incident of 2006. I'm feeling kinda weak in my stomach.

Long live the educational discount!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 14:12      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! Long live EDU discount indeed. But long liver your new MacbBook friend as well!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 14:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...nifty.

Now I definitely need to get that 4 GB for my MacBook. [Wink]

Not for nothing, but /if/ you needed to, you can run Windows on that MacBook - either in a dual-boot configuration, or using virtualization software. (VMware, VirtualBox or Parallels). To try something out the other day, I put an eval. copy of Windows Server 2003 on my MacBook in VMware...works like a champ.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 14:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent point dman! I'd sort of forgotten that little tidbit!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 14:43      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah!!! I am soo excited for you!!! You are now one of us [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 15:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I've been using Macs for years. I just haven't owned one.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 15:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a sweet little machine Xan. You have of course got the Applecare extended warranty? It is expensive compared to similar extended warranties for PCs, but though for desktops it is advisable, for laptops it is essential. Ahem - lesson learned through all too bitter experience. [Frown]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 15:51      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli... AppleCare Protection plan is a GLOBAL warranty package. AFAIK for example, a Toshiba extended warranty is only valid in the country of purchase.

* warning semi-sales pitch ahead*

If you buy the AppleCare Protection Plan within 90 days of purchase you get a full 3 years of Telephone support. If not, after 90 days it's 54$ (CAD) per incident. The AppleCare Protection Plan adds an additional 2 years of parts and labor for a total of 3 years of coverage. The AppleCare Protection Plan can only be purchased within the Apple Limited 1 Year warranty period, not at anytime after that period...

Find me similar coverage in a a competing PC for a similar or lower price.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 15:51      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VMWare is teh sh!zzle! I especially like how my MBP can boot up an XP VM in a fraction of the time it takes my real machine at work. Like ten seconds or so. Of course the work PC is almost 3 years old now, but still...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 16:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have the cash to get both Applecare and all the RAM. My impulse was to just get the RAM. One of my labmates told me to get the warranty and hold off on the RAM. I didn't like that answer so to break the tie I asked my boyfriend, the kreziserb. He told me to get the RAM and buy the warranty later. I liked that answer better, especially since it doesn't involve the possible scenario of me breaking into a laptop to install another 2GB of RAM only to discover all the slots are filled or me breaking into a laptop to install another 2GB of RAM and thoroughly jacking everything up (although I'm pretty sure that if I could learn how to install filaments in x-ray tubes I can stick more RAM in a computer - it can't be any harder). There's a reason kreziserb is my boyfriend. [Razz]

So I'll buy the Applecare sometime in the next 90 days. If I thought my PC would survive long enough, I'd've just held on until I could get it all in one fell swoop. But Mirkwood is dying and I gotta do something now.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 16:12      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant to add that to a wandering lab rat, the APP is a very good investment... But she knows that already...

/me resumes fixing his customers machines...

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 09, 2008 16:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sweet! Way to go. [Smile]

*grumble*... another person with a faster Mac than me. [Frown] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 18:10      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear Mac mice have two buttons now [Wink]

I have a PowerPC Mac Mini, but I should probably upgrade one of these days, since all the fun stuff is happening on the Intel ones now.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 18:54      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, X!

Right now I'm running a MacBook Pro 17 and a iMac 24" both have the same processor. Each one is running Windows XP on Boot Camp.

I really don't like Windows XP that well and don't know much about it, but I've found that PPT on Mac doesn't format right when exported to Windows, so I run PPT for Windows for some work I need to give to those users.

Also Safari 3.1.1 runs a lot better, but there are some subtle differences between the two. I've found that some websites operate differently between the two.

You have an Intel processor, so with Boot Camp you do have a Windows machine. Some things just don't work right with virtualization.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 19:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...I don't know how much the RAM costs from Apple...but it tends to cost more. Based on my experiments last week, I've learned that it's very easy to change the RAM on a MacBook. (Take out the battery with a nickel, unscrew 3 Philips-head screws, remove the cover, and pull on the tabs to pop out the 2 sticks that are inside. Then...push the new sticks in firmly, replace the cover and battery, and you're good to go!)

OTOH, the AppleCare plan helps guarantee that your laptop can have close to as many lives as you do!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2008 05:26      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a black macbook just before the last speed bump. It is easy to upgrade the RAM. Also, (at least in the UK) the educational discount on applecare is absolutely massive, so make sure when buying it you have some educational ID with you.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2008 09:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Um...I don't know how much the RAM costs from Apple...but it tends to cost more. Based on my experiments last week, I've learned that it's very easy to change the RAM on a MacBook. (Take out the battery with a nickel, unscrew 3 Philips-head screws, remove the cover, and pull on the tabs to pop out the 2 sticks that are inside. Then...push the new sticks in firmly, replace the cover and battery, and you're good to go!)

OTOH, the AppleCare plan helps guarantee that your laptop can have close to as many lives as you do!

Yeah well, too late now. The machine's bought.

And so will the AppleCare. Just gimme some time.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2008 05:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Xanthine Be sure that you get this feature, as it seems that these two mental lightweights did not know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/nyregion/10laptop.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This story came in on one of the news feed I watch, does this amount to entrapment?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2008 10:06      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only entrapment if you put the computer out in a place expecting it to get stolen. This is more like having LoJack for your car.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 05:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ quantumfluff No, No, First they host a party with all this stuff in view, then they go out for an evening. In the meantime these two lowlifes having seen the Apt. know where all the good stuff is. They case the Apt. note the comings and going of the occupants and plan to rip off the hosts. A good defense att. will get them off on entrapment.

__________________ Xanthine be sure to put that app. on your machine so you can be accused of entrapment.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 06:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's only entrapment if you're a law enforcement official. There's -nothing- preventing your average citizen from setting up a situation to tempt someone else into commiting a crime and then turning them in.

Have fun with that bit of trivia when your neighbors annoy you too much [evil]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 08:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Et al. I know the law, but these two mental giants are probably screaming foul. I really think trap guns should be legal but then if some kid thinks that my barn is an attractive place to investigate, I would have to hide the evidence.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 10:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Entrapment = committing a crime you otherwise would not have committed when enticed/egged on/told to do so by a law official.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 11:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could get a fancy app and a $99/year service.

Or I could just get one of these and prevent people from running off with my new toy in the first place.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 13:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I really think trap guns should be legal

I know some firemen who'd disagree.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture