homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Job Woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Job Woes
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 15:52      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been really down about my job lately. Mostly it's because I know I'll be working full time (or full time plus) over the summer. Most people would think that is a good thing, but the truth is that my job causes me a great deal of anguish. I hate going into work, and I've reached the point where I spend most of my time trying to avoid my boss. I know it's not this particular specific job that is the issue, it's the whole freaking I.T. industry. I feel unfulfilled in my work, I feel like I make no difference in the world!

I've changed jobs enough to know that the sheer novelty of changing jobs, even if it's still in the world of I.T., is enough to get me through about 7 or 8 months without feeling the pain of being ineffectual. My frustration with my job, coupled with my loneliness, mixes quickly into depression. It feels as if I could keel over and die and it wouldn't change anything... George Bailey syndrome.

Things have gotten worse around my office since we got bought out by a piss-ass little local company that doesn't have any money. The salary people all got their wages cut (in half) and their benefits packages went down the toilet. Though that doesn't directly affect me, as I'm paid hourly and have no benefits, the old saying "shit rolls down hill" applies here. My boss's boss is pissed off at having his wages cut, so he dishes to my boss, and my boss, who was already pissed off at having his wages cut, is now *more* pissed off for having to put up with /his/ bosses shit, and then he dishes it out to all of us peons. I'm basically the low man on the totem pole there, so I get the brunt of it. [Frown] It's just no fun working in an office where everybody is upset, but nobody talks about it.

My big quandary is caused by the fact that I really only have 4 months left to work there, at which point I am leaving the world of work, taking out whatever loans I need, and going back to school full time. Two more years and I'll have my B.A. in Music Education and a much better place in the market (what's left of the market), and I'll have a career I can actually *enjoy*.

But, I was so fed up with my job that I tossed my resume out into the fray. I put it out on the State of Michigan's employment website, Michigan Works. I wasn't expecting to find anything, really, but just putting my feelers out there makes me feel a little better about where I'm currently at. And if the perfect job -- one that pays pretty well, is within walking distance (or at least public transit distance), is fairly low stress, and is not lorded over my a micromanaging fuckwit -- comes along, I can snatch it up.

Here's where things get interesting. It didn't occur to me at first, but my boss checks the Michigan Works site, as that's where he found me. Moreover, he's been hinting that he knows that I'm looking for another job. Obviously I don't want him to know that, but now I'm afraid of what may happen because he does know, though I don't even know *what* I need to be worried about. Worse, my day /was/ going pretty well until my boss said "the kind of guy that'd work for you 11 months or so, and then start looking for something else."

My boss is such a prick!

I've officially decided, give God back His apple, I don't want to be human anymore! I'll give you back the joy, just take the pain with it! [Frown]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 16:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen the movie Office Space?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 16:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worry I can't help you much there, but offer comfort. It's totally understandable that you're looking somewhere else. Make it known to your boss that it's the degradation of the work morale that makes you itchy - not that you were just taking on experience to jump to another job. Or ask him if he is looking, himself.

As for you lack of purpose, look for jobs in big charitable organizations. (Small ones would probably not pay much, if at all.) As you are of the adventurous kind, you may even want to give some international orgs (like UN) a try. Who knows, you may get to find an travelling situation, if you are so inclined. International summer job?

Whatever you choose to do, don't feel bad for putting your mental health before corporate loyalty. A burnout is bad enough in itself, when you have no serious health care (which I suppose is part of the "benefits"), it's a nightmare.

Good luck!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 17:56      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK

working for know nothing twerps who last had real "shop floor" experience when I was back in primary school (read 1st grade for you US members) gets easier as you get older ... well maybe not easier, just you get sort of more used to it...

Hold out man - and putting the Resumé/CV out there is not like some cardinal sin - people do it all the time with no intention of switching jobs... they just want to see where they might fit in elsewhere and what sort of demand/cash might be out there (often to use as a bargaining chip when "assessment" time comes around) -of course if the "golden offer" appears... well who would blame you?

Stick it out... and look for something that really appeals or till you can get into the courses you want... 4 months is nothing man... really not worth breaking a sweat over... or if you REALLY want to feel that you put the stamp on it consider if 3 months will add anything to the big picture and consider going down the "stick your poxy job" route (be warned this can have short term self confidence benefits and longer term regrets... but done at the right time and in the right place it can be something you remember with pride till you die - yes it is a cheap shot at an easy target, but you don't get many of them!!!

Seriously though - let your conscience be your guide as always... and remember you are more than an unfulfilling job, we all are - you have a faith, let it guide you. I don't follow your faith, but I take the moral, ethical and non "supernatural" teachings of Christianity, and other religions, seriously - and besides you all know I am both vaguely neo pagan and happy to distill all religious teachings down to the Bill and Ted version (be excellent to each other and party on dudes) [Smile]

BTW there is not any implied "dig" in that (I know MMKK already knows this) - I work with a committed Baptist Christian and an avowed Atheist... and leaving aside the "spiritual matters" you would be amazed at how closely all 3 of us agree on the moral and ethical points, only the matters of "faith" (i.e. "God" and Jesus as "Messiah") could be said to divide us.

I have also previously had Moslem and Jewish associates with much the same results - we had to "agree to disagree" on the points of "faith" but found leaving that aside there was little to divide us but minor "interprentational" differences on the stuff that matters to me - the moral and ethical points - and yes you would be surprised (if you never looked into it further) how much stuff that is attributed to XYZ religion is actually a "cultural" thing with no foundation in the religion that it is so often associated with...

OK - I have wandered off the point, so sue me - what I am trying to say is this... if you believe then go for it and let faith and prayer guide you, if you don't have any particular faith let your conscience and moral compass guide you, and if you can't muster any of them then at the worst take the line "as much as it shall do no harm to others" from the ''Great Beast" Crowley as the bottom line... Me, I think (yet again) that it all comes down to "be excellent to one another" or "do as you would be done by" - Nothing very new there...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 05:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude.. fuck that guy. Seriously. Don't listen to his nonsense. Get another job, tell him to do various things to himself with a chainsaw, and be on your way. He wants to be a dick, he can look for a replacement peon, and I don't know about the laws in Michigan, but in Ontario, it's illegal to fire someone on the grounds that they're fishing for other employment unless they do it on company time or it becomes a deterrent to their ability to do their current job, which is highly unlikely.

Get outta there, and move on.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 06:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude -- whatever happens, don't ever let the bastards get you down. They are not worthy.

One thing Winston Churchill said: "If you're going through Hell, keep going." Just 'cos it's hard to see doesn't mean that an end to the shit isn't there. Hang in there, Buddy.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 12:19      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK, I feel so bad for you, really. I think you are on the right track however. Get finished with your school, and get your dream job. I know it is hard, I am doing it now, and will hopefully be done in about 2 more years. Everything will work out. Today is friday, you need to go out and have a fun night on the town!!! Forget about work until Monday!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 12:53      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK, well, I feel you. I've been there on at least two occasions. The first time I ran into something similar was after I relocated within the same company. My boss in RI was great, the office I moved to in Orlando was full of s*it heads. I bolted after two years with the company. Couldn't deal with the mess.

The second time I was only with the company about 3 months. Pay was really good, but, my boss was like Godzilla. And, she had emotional issues that were really pushing the Females-In-Positions-of-Power back about 50 years. Long, scary, horrible story.

Anyway, where I'm at right now is great, but, without going into detail, don't know if it's going to last. So, while I'm completely dragging my feet, it's looking pretty likely that I'll have to do the job hunt again.

Point being (before I get too far off track), you're worth more whole than in tatters. One way to hold it together is to just remember that you've only got 4 more months to go, who really cares? Once you quit caring, the rest no longer matters.

Now, Serenak has a good point. Crunch some numbers and determine how long you really need to continue working. If you can take a month off before starting classes, that might give you the time needed to decompress. Maybe you can take 2.

Don't know what else to say. I just hope that what little support we all here can provide is enough to help you through this.

Good luck, and remember that you have a definite out in school.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 13:33      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice to you MMKK?

It is pretty well my stock answer in all situations like this.

Drink

Drink heavily.

If you don't like drinking, drugs work too

Work sucks and people suck. But with the proper level of chemical happiness, anything is possible. Especially for a few months.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2008 16:19      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course if you are feeling a bit "naughty" and maybe just a little bitter you could blow a tiny bit of cash on one (or maybe two) of these... Annoy-a-trons [evil]

That o'tta larn 'em good and proper

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2008 12:54      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like someone needs a hug. Here is your hug. Sometimes bosses can be butt heads.

Also, check out our company web site - our IT guys seem to love it here. Plus, I think they are all in school for some advanced degree of some sort. www.indsci.com

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 16:24      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has a long time that I stop getting my purpose for living from my job. This gig is only a way to enable me to do the things I do outside it: have a family, work at my church, etc. If you have faith in Jesus, let that be your satisfaction. I’m just trying to live so that one day I'll hear him say "Well done good and faithful servant", and so that I can teach my son how to be good man and to make my wife happy and my dad proud.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 17:12      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, I'm with CommanderShroom. In fact, Athos is my hero. And don't worry about the liver. I'm sure that by the time you'll need a new one doctors can grow it for ya' in a couple of weeks.

Drink, drink, and drink some more. Just be sure it's a drink that makes you happy. Champagne works for me while red wine gets me all mellow.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture