homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What would you do, trapped in an elevator?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would you do, trapped in an elevator?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 08:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story, and fascinating video of a man trapped in an elevator for 41 hours.

http://disembedded.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/madness-trapped-in-elevator-car-30/

Don't forget the emergency bell was ringing much of the time.
[crazy]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 09:16      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd eat the people trapped with me. Just to be pre-emptive about it. I wouldn't want them getting the idea first.

But seriously, I'd probably wad up my socks by my ears and try to sleep after I had given up trying to escape.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 11:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From TFA:
In his memory, he had to climb up onto the landing, but the video does not corroborate this.

He got a lawyer, and came to believe that returning to work might signal a degree of mental fitness detrimental to his litigation. Instead, he spent eight weeks in Anguilla.

So let's see if I have this straight...
He told at least one lie about what happened which makes it sound worse than it was. Then he decided to sue the magazine (not the building owners) for twenty five million dollars. Then, because it would reduce the chance of him getting money, he decided stop going to work and spend two months on a Caribbean island.

I'd have fired his sorry ass too.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 13:05      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the question is, what would I have on me to attempt an escape.

Am I able to climb out the top (as I have been led to believe is possible frmo movies and TV).

I think my goal would be to somehow bang sos out. NOt on the side of the elevator , but bang SOS into the metal railing the elevator runs along. preferably with somthing also metal.

If I could'd get outside of the car I think my best better st an SOS would be to use the elatic in my underwear anf tie my watch or belt buckle to it (all things I have on me if I am not in bed) secure it to the elevator(if I can open the door as he did I can secure the elastic to the door) and then pull back and release to make a loud sound of metal stricking metal hard. Then attempt a rythem of SOS.

The sad part of the story is, that I could be caught in an elevator for 6, 7 or 8 hours, but then someone would notice I was gone and come to my office looking for me. Poor guy probably lives alone with a cat. The cat probably never forgave him for not feeding it for 40 hours.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2008 02:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
From TFA:
In his memory, he had to climb up onto the landing, but the video does not corroborate this.

He got a lawyer, and came to believe that returning to work might signal a degree of mental fitness detrimental to his litigation. Instead, he spent eight weeks in Anguilla.

So let's see if I have this straight...
He told at least one lie about what happened which makes it sound worse than it was. Then he decided to sue the magazine (not the building owners) for twenty five million dollars. Then, because it would reduce the chance of him getting money, he decided stop going to work and spend two months on a Caribbean island.

I'd have fired his sorry ass too.

Steen you're all heart! The details of his story do not alter the central facts of the narrative, and undergoing a nightmarish experience should not IMHO be a sackable offence. It's the parasitic lawyers that are the problem, not this poor schmuck.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2008 07:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:
Steen you're all heart! The details of his story do not alter the central facts of the narrative, and undergoing a nightmarish experience should not IMHO be a sackable offence. It's the parasitic lawyers that are the problem, not this poor schmuck.

Did you actually read the original New Yorker article? The original article and not just the linked one that left out bits in order to spin the story the way they wanted to?

Allow me to quote:
Caught up in media attention (which he shunned but thrilled to), prodded by friends, and perhaps provoked by overly solicitous overtures from McGraw-Hill, White fell under the sway of renown and grievance, and then that of the legal establishment. He got a lawyer, and came to believe that returning to work might signal a degree of mental fitness detrimental to litigation.
he now sees that it wasn’t so much the elevator that changed him as his reaction to it. He has come to terms with the trauma of the experience but not with his decision to pursue a lawsuit instead of returning to work.

The basically admits that he chose not to go back to work when he could have in order to pursue that lawsuit. He admits that he fucked up his own life with the lawsuit.

In short, he admits he behaved like a greedy, opportunistic idiot. Why shouldn't the company have fired him?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2008 11:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Lets see trapped in an elevator. On most elevators, I have seen there is an emergency phone. Did he not have a cell phone? One problem is that people have become immune to alarm bells, horns, or beepers. I have worked on Plastic silos with safety ladders, caged so that if you lost your grip you would be caught, but never thirteen stories up. I would not want to get out of an elevator onto a service ladder and start down or up with out a fall harness, thirteen stories is a long climb down. Now he did get some poor legal advice, maybe he should sue the lawyer that led him astray?

Also climbing down is iffy have you ever been to the bottom of an elevator shaft lots of debris in the bottom and nobody cleans down there, because nobody goes there.

Decided to add some more points about ladder work, if your shoes or boots do not have steel shanks in the soles the ladder rungs start hurting your arches. In my safety boots I could be on a ladder for about two hours, sneakers fifteen minutes. gosh do your feet start to burn.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2008 16:51      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 8-10 hours I would have been looking to climb down if there was a real ladder available. 13 floors means about 130 feet to the bottom. Going down a ladder that far would suck, but even in crappy shoes it wouldn't take that long. I can scale a 80' silo up, open the top, and back down in less than a half hour.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2008 17:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*
That's the world we live in, when someone's the victim of a fsck-up, they treat it like a lottery win.
"Woo-hoo! Here's my chance to get rich!"

Sad.
Really sad.

quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
After 8-10 hours I would have been looking to climb down if there was a real ladder available. 13 floors means about 130 feet to the bottom.

Rule of thumb for a typical office tower is about 4.6 metres (15 feet) per floor, or about 200 feet to the 13th. The shaft probably extends several more floors to the basement, so 250+ feet is quite likely.

I wouldn't like to try that in the dark. [Eek!]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2008 18:06      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the video, it didn't seem like there was enough space between the door and the wall of the shaft to fit past. And he spent a lot of time inspecting the ceiling; the article said the trapdoor was locked (and has to be by law).
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2008 18:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ maximile Having been in elevator shafts, the door side is close however on one or more of the other three sides is is room for a service ladder. Steel sides steel rungs, not too much in the way of comfort, also in an elevator there is probably a safety cable for a fall harness, but no cage.

I would bet that if he takes an elevator it will be the local, at least he might be heard at one or more floors. Half way up a closed shaft the alarm bell probably did not make much noise to those floors.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2008 08:33      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
And he spent a lot of time inspecting the ceiling; the article said the trapdoor was locked (and has to be by law).

That's a serious lock, to keep him in for 40+ hours.

I'd probably make it about an hour before property destruction commenced. Especially now that I've read that and realize that maybe they'll just let you die there. (Especially if the alternative is a twenty-five million dollar lawsuit, right?)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2008 14:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
That's a serious lock, to keep him in for 40+ hours.

I'd probably make it about an hour before property destruction commenced.

Um, I'm quite tall, so I might be able to apply serious force to a trapdoor in the ceiling of a lift, but for the average (or shorter-than-average) punter, that wouldn't be an option.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2008 14:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was curious and did some searching and found this, which I thought was interesting:
http://www.lafdtraining.org/ists/books/bk29ch6elev.pdf

I can't help it if my reading list is questionable sometimes [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2008 14:40      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I was curious and did some searching and found this, which I thought was interesting:

That's going on my phone, just in case of emergencies [Wink]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2008 08:30      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the sixties as kid I was trapped in an elevator in our Queens apartment building during a brown out. I was trapped with 3 neighbors for about 5 hours. It wasn't so bad as it wasn't a dinky elevator. Mostly we sat around and told stories. Every once and a while my mom would pound on the door and yell to me. We knew we'd get out, so we didn't spaz.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 18, 2008 11:07      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forty hours is too long to rescue somebody from an elevator, I would sue them for incompetence.
Still, this person's frivolous 25 million lawsuit is utterly exaggerated.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture