homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » April Fools Day Sites

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: April Fools Day Sites
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 08:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's that time of year when everyone and their fifteenth cousin, twelve times removed attempts to demonstrate that they have a sense of humor. Some are more successful than others.

So far, the funniest one I've seen is Blizzard's announcent of World of Warcraft: The Molten Core for consoles.

Has anyone else come across any good ones?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
davor
Mini Geek
Member # 3073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 08:46      Profile for davor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betamax HD-DVD converter: http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/betamaxhd.html

Google Virgle: http://www.google.com/virgle/index.html

--------------------
Davor

http://davortech.wordpress.com

Posts: 51 | From: europe | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 09:15      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that much crazy, and probably done all over, but many webcomics marked the day. Some interverted their reciprocal comics, and another made a Dr Who reference out of the blue (police box). (Do you want the links?)

Then there's this teleportation story (mice and frogs that were teleported across a room, and survived, but had sume mutant trout genes) that sounded great but suspiciously looks like an April fools - if only because if it were true, I'd probably have read it here first - but there's also the lack of details about the means used that could give it up. (It would use as much energy as the Sun is producing, but a clustering technique similar to the [email protected] cut it down to a manageable amount? Sorry, but WTF is that supposed to mean?)

Edit: allright, I can be slow sometimes. The "trout genes" was a dead giveaway... Why didn't I spot it rigth away? [crazy]

I'll have to check a few of my games for easter eggs once I'm back.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 13:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone for an April 1st cute-fest? (...and I don't mean Terry Jones!)

Penguins...

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 05:32      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XKCD, Questionable Content and Qwantz all swapped their domains around. Led to much confusement until I realised what day it was... Loved Google's Virgle thing, they've actually put a fair amount of effort into putting together an (at least technically possible) proposal.
Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 09:01      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a website, but on the subject of April Fools...

We had rehearsal last night (April 1) for our spring production. This was only the fourth night the entire cast (of 8) has read together. We are all sitting around talking and the director walks in, "Everyone up on stage, no books."

I have the fewest lines in the show, mostly reaction to other characters, so, okay, no big deal; I screw up, I screw up. Two other females, with a LOT of lines, start to panic.

The male lead is halfway up the stairs when the director says, "Jeff, before you get too far, think of what day it is."

The first time in a LOOOONG time anyone has gotten me on April Fools. [Applause]

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

Posts: 29 | From: In the Heart of the Seven Mountains | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 10:10      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if any of you guys visit the macforums site, but yesterday when I logged in it asked if I enjoyed April fool's on the net, I voted yes and never thought twice about it. I logged off and got on again later and noticed the site was only in black and white and was just generally not right. Having OCD, it was freaking me out!!! I kept going to system prefs and trying to fix it, but nothing could fix it. I even went as far to call Apple, but it was after hours and couldn't get through. The moral to the story is this a.m. I awoke to a beautiful macforum site. Is this Apple's sick sense of humor??? Not funny at all!!!, Well, maybe a little:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 11:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Anyone for an April 1st cute-fest? (...and I don't mean Terry Jones!)

Penguins...

Haha...I was *just* about to post that here!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 11:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
XKCD, Questionable Content and Qwantz all swapped their domains around. Led to much confusement until I realised what day it was... Loved Google's Virgle thing, they've actually put a fair amount of effort into putting together an (at least technically possible) proposal.

But yesterday was Tuesday...and I read xkcd through RSS... [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 15:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Gmail Custom time joke was funny.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture