homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Meet my OCD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meet my OCD
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2008 10:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got an ideal bag of peanut M&Ms from the machine here at work.

Let me explain my insanity…

M&Ms must be sorted by color and eaten according to two simple rules. First, the color with the fewest M&Ms must be eaten first. Second, in the event of two colors having the same number, they must be eaten in the order of the color spectrum and from darkest to lightest when there are two colors in the same general color range.

Incidentally, the proper order in which to eat colors is: maroon, red, dark pink, pink, orange, gold, dark brown, light brown, yellow, dark green, teal, green, electric green, aqua, dark blue, blue, light blue, purple, light purple, black, silver/grey, beige/cream, white (yes, there really are that many… and there could be more that I’m not familiar with)

So… back to my bag of M&Ms. I opened the bag of M&Ms and found one red, two orange, three dark brown, five yellow, seven green and nine blue M&Ms. The numerical -and- chromatic orders were identical!

I’m quite pleased with this and you can all stop looking at me like that, thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 25, 2008 11:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG Steen, put that bag on eBay!!!

I would eat oppositely, that is I would start eating the colour of M&Ms that is the most plentiful, and mix them up so that I would never tire of the same flavour of colour.

(on a semi-related note, we watched the film Martian Child last night... the child in that movie claims to taste colour, and uses M&Ms to demonstrate his power.)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2008 11:58      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He he... Fantastic habit!

On a related note, google M&M Evolution for another funny M&M story (though it might be one of those that everyone already knows)

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 06:04      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The irony is that the petrochemicals in M&M's and other highly processed foods is probably what is giving you OCD. ADHD is the more common effect of artificial coloring, flavors and preservatives. Mostly they just made me cranky. Really, they make the stuff from coal tar and petroleum. Your nervous system does not approve of this stuff.

Then there's vanillin (nasty stuff used in cheap chocolate) versus real vanilla...

The Link Between Diet and Behavior

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 06:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brainisfried:
The irony is that the petrochemicals in M&M's and other highly processed foods is probably what is giving you OCD. ADHD is the more common effect of artificial coloring, flavors and preservatives. Mostly they just made me cranky. Really, they make the stuff from coal tar and petroleum. Your nervous system does not approve of this stuff.

Then there's vanillin (nasty stuff used in cheap chocolate) versus real vanilla...

You wouldn't mind providing a link to substantiate any of your claims, would you?

FTFA "members of Parliament and outside experts" don't count. WTF is an outside expert.Wouldn't you want a real expert to do these studies? And these politicians, they know all about complex health issues.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 07:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err...

1) I think Steen was joking.

I don't sort my M&M's into groups first, but I eat the green ones first. When I was a kid, I made wishes on them.

2) Vanillin is the compound that gives vanilla its flavor. Yes, even vanilla that comes from the plant. It can be extracted from natural sources or brewed up in a lab. Either way, the molecule is the same.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 09:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, no, I'm not really kidding. A psychologist would probably classify me as having borderline OCD because I manage it and it doesn't interfere with my life (usually).

I do little rituals which help relieve the stress that I feel otherwise. Without them, I get moody and out of sorts. The best are the ones with inherent limitations. Eating a bag of M&Ms in a strict order, for instance, automatically comes to an end when the bag is eaten (and I don't buy large bags). I focus most of my OCD things into behavior during eating, in fact, because meals and snacks end in a fairly short period of time and I don't wind up doing the same thing for hours on end.

I try to avoid behaviors like counting random things (steps, holes in ceiling tiles and so forth) because those don't have any inherent end. If I start those, I can get caught up for hours before I reach a point that feels 'right' for stopping and, if I stop before then, I get very anxious and irritable.

brainisfried wrote:
The irony is that the petrochemicals in M&M's and other highly processed foods is probably what is giving you OCD.

No... OCD isn't caused by petrochemicals. There is suspicion that it's caused by low serotonin levels, but that comes from the fact that anti-depression medications that selectively inhibit serotonin uptake often help people who suffer from OCD. L-tryptophan is used by the brain to create serotonin and, if you eat something high in tryptophan and sugar like chocolate, the sugar causes a rush of insulin which lowers blood levels of many other amino acids which results in more of the l-tryptophan reaching the brain (temporarily, anyway).

In short, M&Ms may actually help relieve my OCD from a chemical standpoint as well as providing an outlet for my OCD that doesn't overly disrupt the rest of my day.

Yay M&Ms! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 26, 2008 21:24      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, I'm so happy you do that too... I thought I was the only one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 22:37      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously dude.....now I understand why you never get laid.

Leave. The. House.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 03:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Steen Back when I was in College the first time BVN many of the student engineers counted M&Ms it was that or snow flakes Mich. Tech. Univ. Well one of the engineering students got his accounting major roommate hooked on counting. So this guy back in the mid sixties , only five or six colors then, figured the ratios and started figuring that the colors were detiremined by dye costs. He wrote his paper on his finding, The prof being the curious sort he was, sent it to M&M the student was hired by M&M end of story.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 05:58      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by brainisfried:

You wouldn't mind providing a link to substantiate any of your claims, would you?

FTFA "members of Parliament and outside experts" don't count. WTF is an outside expert.Wouldn't you want a real expert to do these studies? And these politicians, they know all about complex health issues.

Here you go:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673607613063/abstract
That only covers ADHD though. The link to OCD is strictly anecdotal at this point. I'm noticeably more even-tempered since I gave up artificials. They can do all kinds of bad things to your nervous system.

Steen: spend a little more for all-natural chocolate. See if that makes any difference. At the very least it'll be an enjoyable experiment.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 12:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only buy one or two small bags of M&Ms a month from a machine where I work and that's really it. I don't eat chocolate or candy most of the time. The only affect buying more expensive chocolate would have would be to deny me the pleasure of sorting the candies and eating them in the proper order and that would suck [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 19:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Seriously dude.....now I understand why you never get laid.

Leave. The. House.

Where did he say he never got laid?

Steen: That's not even hardly a smallish, tiny, itsy-bitsy, miniscule, undetectable, fly-speck blink of OCD. You perhaps have about a snail's sneeze worth of Anxiety Disorder NOC, but definitely not OCD. [Big Grin]

You haven't lived until you've re-checked you locked car door at least 29 times in about, say, 35 seconds.

FWIW.

gg [blush]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 17:45      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I also eat my M&M's in a weird way, I very carefully nibble off all the hard candy shell first, making sure I don't damage the creamy milk chocolate underneath, and then let the chocolate melt in my mouth. How's that for OCD? And I also check my alarm clock three times each time I set it, and the locks on all my doors:) Who's the pyscho now? LOL!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 19:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess wrote:
Who's the pyscho now? LOL!!!

The girl who stabbed me on the first date.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 03:29      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, does that explain why your celibate? Hell, I would be too if that happened to me. [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 05:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprisingly, no... the stabbing didn't even slow me down. The celibacy came about because I fell in love one time too many (or maybe it was one time too few... I still can't decide).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 08:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
geekygoddess wrote:
Who's the pyscho now? LOL!!!

The girl who stabbed me on the first date.

You had it coming.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture