homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My crazy plans... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My crazy plans...
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 28, 2008 20:46      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's official, I'm loony! [crazy]

*Warning: this is LONG! You can skip to the part labeled "END BACKSTORY" if you're in a hurry*

I guess I should start with the jobs... I applied for two jobs recently, one with my church as the new Music Director, the other with a school district in Jackson (about 50 miles away) as an IT fix-it-guy. Both turned me down, and for the sake of (relative) brevity, I will say that this led me to reassess my current life goals.

The day the school turned me down, I was a bit dejected, but began looking for the window ("whenever God closes a door he opens a window"). I prayed for direction and guidance, realizing that my plan, that seemed so good in *my* head, just wasn't the will of The Divine. The answer I got back, literally through the words of the Tech Director at the school *and* from my present boss, was "focus on school." In my own quiet prayer time, the answer I kept getting, the nagging push that I kept hearing in my head was "focus on school," and more specifically "you know that crazy idea you had? go with it!"

I recently found out that I have "two years" of school left before I can get my B.A. in Instrumental Music Education. At the pace I'm going, though, it would take me more than two years to get through it, since I'm working part time and only able to take 12 credit hours per semester, max. The thing is, when I found out I only have two years left, this thought popped in my head and I thought that maybe I could quit my job, live on student loans for a couple years, crank down on the books hard and get it done.

Of course, you need to realize that I am a very practical, frugal person. I hate owing money to anyone, especially faceless companies/governments. I have finished half of my degree and I am proud to say I have NO outstanding college loans. On top of this I only made about $12K last year, and managed to keep my personal budget balanced, keep a roof over my head, food in my stomach, gas in my respective tanks, AND pay for my tuition out-of-pocket. I don't have, and have never had, nor ever want a credit card. I am just not a "credit" kind of person, so taking out loans is a real big decision for me. So I buried the idea... but then this Divine Push came my way....

*END BACKSTORY*

So that's what I'm going to do. This fall, I'm transferring from my community college into Eastern Michigan University.. a *real* school! I'm going to work my arse off this summer, then quit my job, take out enough loans/grants/scholarships to pay my tuition AND living expenses for a year, buckle down, take 18-22 credit hours a semester, and GIT R' DONE! At worst it'll take me two years, and so I won't be amassing *huge* amounts of debt. I've done the math, and I should be able to pay it all back in 6-8 years.. which isn't too bad.

That's not the really crazy part, though. I've decided, and some recent events have reinforced my decision, that I have not done enough crazy, somewhat reckless, somewhat stupid, but fun and enjoyable things in my life.

I am going to leave my job one month before the semester starts (which makes my last day of work August 1st). On August 2nd, I am going to round up a bunch of my friends, and head back to my hometown in the VW. To celebrate my inner changes, I am going to change myself externally in a radical fashion. August 2nd is going to officially be Dread Day.. the day I get dreadlocks. There will be before and after p1x, don't worry. Hopefully there will also be video. [Smile]

How much would you pay for this extravagant, and crazy experience? Don't answer yet! There's still more!

Once my hair is dreaded up (a 6 hour process, so I've been told), and I've dispatched the aforementioned friends, I'm going to load up the bus with a few changes of clothes, a cooler, a small charcoal grill, and a few other necessities. I am then going to spend the last month of summer taking my long-awaited road trip in the bus. I have no set agenda, as yet, though I know that I will be avoiding Interstate highways like the plague. I am thinking that it may be fun to have a series of GeekCulture mini-moots all over the country (sorry, euro-GeekCulturians.. my bus doesn't float). So if anyone wants to get on my tour schedule, let me know and we'll work it out!

I think it'll be my last month of freedom before really getting down to business, and the dreads will be a reminder that life is too short to take things seriously, a lesson I often forget.

Heh, I'm simultaneously excited and scared to death. I've spent years and years of my life sitting on the side of the road, staring at the map, trying to figure out where to go. I can see where I want to go, and what I want to do along the way, but I can't seem to find the road on my map that'll take me there. This is the first time, I feel, that I've /really/ decided to go *off* the map...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 23:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause]

That's all I can say....just [Applause] [Applause]
to all of it - University, road trip, dreads... [Applause] [Applause]

You have a big adventure ahead of you, and I know that you will have the best wishes of everyone here at GC.

Way to go, dude! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 03:58      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to put a damper on your excellent plans, but it is possible that a VW minibus driven by a someone with a righteous set of dreads could possibly attract an unwelcome degree of attention from the gallant boys in blue. On the other hand if you are fine with that, why not go the whole hog - paint the bus in rasta colours, replace the exhaust pipes with a couple of bongs, and make sure that when any of the bus's doors or windows open clouds of smoke drift out! [Big Grin]

Good luck MMKK - love and adventure is good for everyone.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 29, 2008 07:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Driving across your beautiful country will be an awesome experience, you'll have an amazing time. I've done it a few times, I want to do it again soon.

Hit Colorado, Utah maybe, and note: Idaho has amazing hotsprings, (get a hotsprings of the Northwest book)... in August, you'll want to stick to the north due to heat.

I'm with Calli though, skip the dreadlocks and make your life and trip a million, billion times easier.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 14:11      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
...sorry, euro-GeekCulturians.. my bus doesn't float

Hey, we can always come and meet you somewhere over there!

Sounds awesome MMKK, be sure to keep us posted.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 29, 2008 22:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the positive replies... except for you Cali [Razz]

As far as looking like a hippie, and being treated like a hippie (by the cops..): If I'm not carrying any contraband (and I won't be.. I'm not stupid), there isn't much they can do but harass me. I'll make sure to vacuum the carpet really well before I leave, just to make sure I get rid of any seeds or stems that may have fallen and gone unnoticed.

maximile: We need to organize a moot in some reasonably central location so we can gather a bunch of GCers together. I suspect that will form when we're a little closer to the date.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 23:30      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you make it to the Ilse of NitroSnag, I'll make time... I think I could get toobe and TiW out of the woodwork, so long as he's not too busy with the lilun... who knows, maybe more will show up from southern waters.... it's been know to happen.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 23:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As far as looking like a hippie, and being treated like a hippie (by the cops..): If I'm not carrying any contraband (and I won't be.. I'm not stupid), there isn't much they can do but harass me.

<bad-stage-merkin-accent>

Kid...

You gotta license for all them shovels, rakes and impliments of de-struc-shun you got in that there red VW microbus?

</bad-stage-merkin-accent>

Sounds like heaps of fun MMKK, I just wish I could make the time to come along for the ride.

Be sure to take lots of pictures, I want 27 8x10 colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one is...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2008 19:49      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning my stops already, and mapquest is helping me estimate mileage. I plan to avoid Interstate highways, so I will be investing in a real, dead-tree-copy road atlas so I can plan my own damn routes.

So far I have, in order: Toronto, ON; Milton/Boston, MA; New York, NY; Lawrenceville, NJ; and Dudley, NC. The trek looks roughly like this: http://beta.mapquest.com/maps/9%40nOMR6N4%2By1Bqeb1F7Wb5

I'd like to make it up to Portland, OR before this is all over, as I have some old friends that are now living up there. The thing is, there's a lot of space between Dudley, NC, and Portland, OR, so I'm looking for GCers that are in the middle of the country.. Colorado (Xanthine, this means you [Razz] )... Wyoming.. Iowa.. so I can pack in meeting as many GCers in a month's trek as possible.

So? Anyone wanna' meet a hippie in a VW Bus?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 01, 2008 21:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't said anything because there is no point. A hippie in a VW bus will end up in Boulder. That's just the way it is. The natural order, if you will.

My August plans are fairly soft, with some factors out of my control. Lemme know how your itinerary shapes up and we'll work something out.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2008 08:21      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a good trip,

What will you be doing in good old Toronto?

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2008 12:09      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, scratch my previous plans.. and I'm not using Mapquest anymore either! Google Maps let me plan the whole thing and "avoid highways" for all of it! Sweet!!! Here's the updated route:

http://snipurl.com/20stf

Here's the current itinerary... Except where otherwise noted, I plan to only drive 6 hours a day.. making about 300 miles per day.
code:
08/01/08	Last Day of work
08/02/08 Dread Day
08/03/08 Packing Day
08/04/08 Travel to Boulder
08/05/08 Travel to Boulder
08/06/08 Travel to Boulder
08/07/08 Travel to Boulder
08/08/08 Hang in Boulder
08/09/08 Travel to Portland
08/10/08 Travel to Portland
08/11/08 Travel to Portland
08/12/08 Travel to Portland
08/13/08 Travel to Portland
08/14/08 Hang in Portland
08/15/08 Hang in Portland
08/16/08 Travel to Victoria
08/17/08 Hang in Victoria
08/18/08 Travel to St. Paul (6.5hrs)
08/19/08 Travel to St. Paul (6.5hrs)
08/20/08 Travel to St. Paul (6.5hrs)
08/21/08 Travel to St. Paul (6.5hrs)
08/22/08 Travel to St. Paul (6.5hrs)
08/23/08 go see "A Praire Home Companion"
08/24/08 Travel to NYC
08/25/08 Travel to NYC
08/26/08 Travel to NYC
08/27/08 Travel to NYC
08/28/08 Hang in NYC
08/29/08 Hang in NYC
08/30/08 Travel to Ypsi
08/31/08 Travel to Ypsi
09/01/08 Back Home

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2008 12:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like fun, but one suggestion on the NY leg of the trip.

Instead of re-tracing your steps on the return from NYC, why not take a different route your way back?

Maybe swing North and see Toronto?

Upstate New York is quite nice, and I hear the Canadians have recently outlawed head-hunting and cannibalism, so you should be fairly safe.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2008 12:43      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Canadians.. what's the general posted speed limit on Canukistan highways? 100km/h? or is it 120?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 02, 2008 13:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100 usually,
110 on superhighways,
80 for VW vans driven by hippies. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2008 18:54      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Ontario it's 100km/h on the 400-series (4+ lanes, divided, limited access) highways, 80 on the regular (surface) highways, and either 80 or 90 on the county roads. We don't have any sort of "National Highway Traffic Act" up here; traffic laws are set independently by each province.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 09:05      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, as long as I won't get run over on the highway. The bus /can/ hold it's own at 85MPH (135km/h) pretty well now, but it overheats if you go over 55MPH (~100km/h) for an extended period of time. Moreover, the bus is more fun the slower you drive it, trying to keep it in your lane at 75MPH is hard work... cruising at 55 is relaxing and fun. [Smile]

Well, I think I'm going to swing up through the fabled Canadas on the return trip.. Victoria to Vancouver to Calgary to Regina to Winnipeg to Sault Ste Marie to Toronto. Should be interesting...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 12:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful MMKK, after that long in a civilized country, you may not want to return home. [Wink]

Oh, btw, a hippy in a VW microbus entering the USA from The Great Northern Weed Farm is sure to get a warm welcome from the US border guards. Allow a couple of hours for the search.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 13:59      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well. If you wind up neat Salt Lake City, I might be able to offer up a couch. Or at least a hot shower.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 15:55      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man! Yer totally missing Montreal??!
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 16:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ MMKK I have a question or two:

but it overheats if you go over 55MPH (~100km/h) for an extended period of time.

Is the the blower clean, does the thermostat open the damper compleatly (funnel shaped thing in front of the blower) once the engine has warmed up? Is the oil cooler clean? I am assuming that your micro-bus has the flat four Porsche engine.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 17:05      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I remember of our parents' VW camper, take a spare gasket, spare oil, spare fuses, wire and general stuff for emergency engine rebuilds when you're broken down in the middle of nowhere and can hear what are obviously bears, axe murders and whatever else wanders around in the woods.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 18:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK, if you want a couch in Boulder, you can have one. It's quite comfortable. I've slept on it myself a few times. The shower is also reliably warm. You just have to be guinea-pig and fish compatible.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 20:40      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth The Famous Druid: Oh, btw, a hippy in a VW microbus entering the USA from The Great Northern Weed Farm is sure to get a warm welcome from the US border guards. Allow a couple of hours for the search.

Oh yes, I know.. I also know my fourth amendment rights.. but since I don't plan on smuggling any contraband back with me (Just Too Risky), I'll probably just waive my rights and fully and completely consent to a search.

Spake CommanderShroom: Well. If you wind up neat Salt Lake City, I might be able to offer up a couch. Or at least a hot shower.

Likewise Xanthine: MMKK, if you want a couch in Boulder, you can have one. It's quite comfortable. I've slept on it myself a few times. The shower is also reliably warm. You just have to be guinea-pig and fish compatible.

Now these are the kind of replies I'm looking for Hot showers will be a welcome thing, and couches are good too! [Smile]

Exclaimed BooBooKitty: Oh man! Yer totally missing Montreal??!

I only have a month to do this, and I have a lot of things I want to see! Montreal and Ottawa would add at least 2 days driving to the trip (remember I can only make ~300 miles a day!). I don't have those 2 days to spare.. sorry [Frown] If you can figure out how to squeeze it into my itinerary, though.. [Wink]

TheMoMan suggested: Is the the blower clean, does the thermostat open the damper compleatly (funnel shaped thing in front of the blower) once the engine has warmed up? Is the oil cooler clean? I am assuming that your micro-bus has the flat four Porsche engine.

The blower is clean, but I don't have a thermostat, and as such I have no flaps installed. The oil cooler is clean, but a tad starved for air due to the flaps. I also have a missing piece of cooling tin. I am hoping to get as much of this fixed as possible before I leave... John Muir would kick my ass if he were still around. The engine is a "Type IV" (a.k.a. "porche type") engine; it's the one with the blower fan bolted on to the end of the crankshaft, rather than the mile long v-belt.

Zwilnik also recommended: take a spare gasket, spare oil, spare fuses, wire and general stuff for emergency engine rebuilds when you're broken down in the middle of nowhere and can hear what are obviously bears, axe murders and whatever else wanders around in the woods.

Yup. [Big Grin]

Thanks to everybody who's given me info and advice so far... this is really fun planning! [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 00:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Quoth The Famous Druid: Oh, btw, a hippy in a VW microbus entering the USA from The Great Northern Weed Farm is sure to get a warm welcome from the US border guards. Allow a couple of hours for the search.

Oh yes, I know.. I also know my fourth amendment rights..

Border guards don't need no steenkin' Fourth Amendment

But you're right, just smile and cooperate is the best policy, no-one ever wins arguments with these people.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture