homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What did I SEE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What did I SEE
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2008 16:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ I have been searching for about ten months for a picture of an Insect I saw at Little Bennett County Park near Washington DC last Spring.

Shape just like a ray (Manta Ray)
Color Blue Green no other markings, Wings appeared to be leathery
Size about three inches accross

Lenght about two and one half inches

Time of day early dusk it was resting on an outside wall of the public restroom. If it was a ray it appeared to have landed straight up.

Wing appearence was like that of the Northrup flying wing. There was some chamber not flat like a butterfly.

What did I see??

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2008 17:50      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds a bit like a moth I saw on the outside of my house last summer. Grey-black, with wings shaped kinda like Batman's Batarang?

The other possibility is a cicada, which looks like a giant mutant zombie housefly.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 06:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, sounds like a cicada to me -- damn weird looking critters they is. (And freakin' noisy.) The first time I saw one I thought it must have been Martian, or the result of some radioactive mutation. They have a rather elliptic life-cycle, IIRC -- they live underground for 17 years or something, then surface, breed, and then die... much like some geeks I know... but without the breeding part. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 07:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Spungo, I searched many pages on cicada and did not find any creature like what I saw. When I say Northrup flying wing I mean just like that. This insect appeared to have a mono-wing and tail, when I say Manta ray like, this thing looked like what killed Steve Irwin, only much smaller. Leather wing no transparency no markings no spots just a blue green that would blend in on a leaf. I did not see any antenna or feelers.

I did go to this page:

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/gallery?f=-1&_st=1

The Luna Moth looks the closest to what I saw but not exactly. Reading up on the Luna the woods we were in, were the right habitat. Just that there were not four wings, I was up close and personal with this thing, and I did not see over lapping wings. One of the two grand daughters with me was claiming Luna because of color, however I remain unconvienced.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 08:04      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
What did I see??

The youth of America on LSD.

/coat

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture