homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » trashing of a favourite brand - Any from you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: trashing of a favourite brand - Any from you?
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 09:42      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw an article on a problem with Abocrombie & Fitch's ad campaign in VA. My little rant isn't really about the campaign, but the general trashing of a brand. When I was a kid,the old A&F were the outfitters of grand expeditions to exotic places. Just the place to go if you need a pith helmet or something. So why did they buy the company to just make it a teen clothing store? Couldn't you just put together two names with an ampersand??????

So do you have a favourite brand that has been bought and trashed?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 10:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr Martens.

I don't know if they have been bought out, but they haven't been made in Nottingham UK for a number of years.

Time was, you invested in a new pair of DMs, and you knew they would be on your feet for many years. Nowadays, they are just another shoddily-made fashion brand.

I still wear my 10 year old green Docs, 10-hole, box toe, extra thick sole. I doubt I'll find a pair of boots of that quality to replace them.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 12:13      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Dr Martens -- used to be you spent about three weeks breaking them in (although it always seemed like they were breaking you in). They were great -- until the sole would crack after about a year. I'm convinced that it's virtually impossible to get decently-durable footwear anymore (i.e., lasting multiple years).

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 13:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they aren't that shoddy. I am looking at retiring my Doc's after 7 years of stomping around. The soles are still good, but the threads have all begun to rot away along with sections of leather. I still have yet to find another brand of footwear that can withstand my abuse.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 13:57      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still seems to be in good shape so far, but I often worry about In-N-Out's future. It's the only fast-food place I like, and there's been a lot of speculation about the future of the company the last few years. They do a lot of things differently from other fast-food places, so if the wrong person gets control at some point, the company could get run into the ground pretty quickly.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 14:31      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A&F went bankrupt shortly after Fitch Died. The Limited (which owns just about half of everything inside your local mall) purchased the brand name for less than it would have cost to build a new one.

So in all actuality the brand trashed itself once the owners died. The Limited simply recycled it.

Heineken beer is my vote for trashed brand. There was a time when it was unthinkable to add the suffix "Light" to that brand name. But it's been done.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 15:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Yeah, Dr Martens -- used to be you spent about three weeks breaking them in (although it always seemed like they were breaking you in). They were great -- until the sole would crack after about a year. I'm convinced that it's virtually impossible to get decently-durable footwear anymore (i.e., lasting multiple years).

Try any make of Australian drover's boots. Blundstone is the most widely available, but they are all good. Really tough really comfortable boots, IMHO much better than Doc Martens ever were. I buy two pairs at a time and they usually last 5 years or so, and I wear them all the time, unless the weather gets too hot.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 15:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Try any make of Australian drover's boots. Blundstone is the most widely available, but they are all good. Really tough really comfortable boots

Rossi boots are excellent, and they also do "boots that look like shoes" so you can wear them to work at the bank or insurance company.

Sadly, they're hard to find even here in oz, my last pair died a few months ago after many years of good service, and the shoe shop I bought them from is now a video library.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 15:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
YI'm convinced that it's virtually impossible to get decently-durable footwear anymore (i.e., lasting multiple years).

My Birkenstocks have lasted me about four years. The previous pair lasted seven - I wore through the rubber, through the cork, and then through the leather, which had turned to sludge. I was harder on that previous pair than I've been on these - they still have their rubber. Then again, I still have three years. My Merell snow moccasins have hung on for five. I have a pair of four year old Sambas that are going stronger than they look (they have some lab stains and the white strips are now the color of mud). Tevas have been more disposable - three years, max. After the velcro on the last pair gave out I switched to Chacos. My hiking boots are headed for retirement after five years. The treads are wearing away and the leather is cracking. I'll be sad to see those puppies go - they've been on top of a couple peaks in Ecuador, all over the Rockies and Cascades, over a high mountain pass in Bolivia, on a hike or two in the French Alps, and to the top of Kilimanjaro. I never had to break them in. They were good to me from day one. But the treads are wearing away and the leather is cracking.

Come to think of it, the treads are wearing on my mountaineering boots too. Nothing lasts forever. Not even Vibram.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 16:45      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost brands? Beaver Canoe Co.

They were once the Great Wet North's premier cedar-strip canoe builder, then they went into the clothing business, and now (AFAIK) they're gone.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 22:07      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Come to think of it, the treads are wearing on my mountaineering boots too. Nothing lasts forever. Not even Vibram.

I still wear my Zamberlan hill-walking boots occasionally and they are over 20 years old. OK, they stopped being waterproof after about 8 or 9 years heavy wear, but with their single-piece uppers and Vibram sole, they are still lovely looking boots.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 23:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that's the brand I have! How is it you've gotten 20 years out of the treads? Seriously. Mine started wearing before the water-proofing started to fade.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2008 07:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm convinced that it's virtually impossible to get decently-durable footwear anymore (i.e., lasting multiple years).

I love Rockports - very reliable shoes!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2008 09:28      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc Martens rock my socks for years at a time. Bought a pair last year and they still look like new- no cracking or discoloration on the leather and the soles haven't even begun to wear. I likes the Docs. [Applause] [hearts]

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2008 11:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Hey, that's the brand I have! How is it you've gotten 20 years out of the treads?

Xanth - well, as I said, the uppers stopped being waterproof after about 8 or 9 years, so since then they have only been worn for occasional trips in the summer weather (and we don't get too much summer weather!).

And even when they were full-time walking boots they didn't have a particularly hard life - I'm no climber or mountaineer, and apart from flogging up some stupid big hills to keep the rest of the group happy, most of my walking was done in boot-friendly terrains, such as on the high moorlands (walking on peat) or in the limestone dales. The boots didn't often get a hammering from sharp rocks - I only tried scree-surfing once, and it frightened the life out of me! [Wink]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2008 15:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
[The boots didn't often get a hammering from sharp rocks - I only tried scree-surfing once, and it frightened the life out of me! [Wink]

Guilty as charged. Though around here rocks happen even when you aren't taking the fast way down. The Rockies deserve their name!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2008 02:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Can I trash a Federal agency instead?

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080206/D8UKIFSO0.html

It seems profits above all else.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 09:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot Baracinni chocolates. They got bought out for their name and then made shoddy chocolates. A CRIME!!! never ever make shoddy chocolates. LOL

People seem very passionate about shoes. I tend to just wear sneakers,which are harder to get worked up about a brand with. Well maybe if you actually ran in them, which I don't. [Smile]

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 10:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your chocolate story reminds me of a cheese case: Oka. They were made by monks in a traditionnal way. It got popular, so Kraft bought the recipe... and changed it to pasteurized milk! Of course, that changes the taste, and people complained about it. So Kraft finally caved in, and started offering an "original" version - that they sell at a higher price. Bummer. (And I still think the "original" version doesn't tastes the same than the traditionnal one; they probably use some preservation method or another.)

In any case, if you like cheese, try a non-pasteurized one (unless you have some health concern about it, of course). They have more character, more personnality. It's about the difference between mass-produced ale and microbrewery ale.

Hmmm, cheese... Aaaarghl (à la Homer)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture