homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Just Blowing off Steam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just Blowing off Steam
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 17:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and steam enjoyed it! (yes, my sense of humor is that crude. sorry)

I'm tired of being the guy that everyone depends on for rides, to borrow $20 for gas until payday from (not that they bother paying it back when payday does come), to help with moving, to fix problems with their computers, to give advice on which gadget will best suit their needs and all the other crap I do for other people. I think my new year's resolution is going to be to tell a lot of people I know IRL who aren't very considerate of me to go fsck themselves. It kind of sucks because I know I'm going to lose friends, but... they aren't really friends are they?

One of my credit cards has had the credit limit raised to N+$2,900 and included convenience checks in the letter announcing this in order to encourage me to spend, spend spend. This irritates me because N is my annual salary. -Nobody- needs a higher credit limit than their yearly income. If you're spending that much, you're living way, way, waaaaay beyond your means and you're going to wind up bankrupt. It irritates me that credit card companies would encourage such irresponsible behavior and it's not really in their interest either. Are we learning -nothing- from the surge in houses being forclosed on because people were given too much credit and loans that were too large for them to repay?

I really hate it when people hit their brakes at the last moment and suddenly slow down to make a turn and then, only after the traffic behind them (i.e. me) has already slowed down, turn on their signal to indicate that they're going to make a turn. The purpose of the signal is to warn people in -advance- of hitting brakes so that people know the person is going to slow down for the turn and are prepared to slow down with them rather than having to suddenly slam their brakes to avoid hitting the idiot who went from 45 MPH to 10 MPH in less than two seconds.

I want to force feed the crap that marketing jackasses label as "fat free" because it's made out of little more than sugar and artificial flavoring and coloring as if those words somehow make that crap healthy. There are people who are stupid enough to think that jelly beans marked "fat free" are somehow healthy and they really shouldn't be taken advantage of that way.

Sort of related to that, I would like to see nutritional suppliments regulated the same way food is. People die from some of the crap that's put on shelves with mythical health benefits. In fact... everyone should read this and, even if they don't memorize it, should at least be familiar with some of the issues involving interactions between herbs, foods and medications.

I think I'm over seeing people synchronize their christmas light shows to music. Especially TSO's Wizards in Winter. I still like the song (and hey... DJ John has a great mashup of it, but ... meh. It's just tedious at this point because everyone is doing it. Next year, I suspect the number of me-too decorators is going to be rather sad and pathetic.

I've got a couple of other things to rant about too, but those will have to wait for another day (and I'm sure everyone is eagerly looking forward to that [Roll Eyes] ).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 17:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen _________________ Well you did get the T/P valve to open but the output was only enough to wet the floor, Shite You think you're P/Od I had a trucker get on my butt on I-65 and the grand kids could have poked a hole in his radiator with the window scraper. Then after they had been here a couple of days we notice that their mother has let them come visit while having Head Lice AGAIN, Shite I traveled the world and never caught anything now I am an old man and the grand kids bring me this crap. Then there is the issue of an E-Bay lister selling RV water heaters that are not the model in his listing.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 20:33      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming those convenience checks come with a no interest/no payments for one year offer and you don't mind a temporary decrease of you credit score, deposit them into a high-yield CD and buy yourself lots and lots of beer when it matures.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 23:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that we're letting off steam...

I'm really pissed-off with pedestrians these days.

Just in the last 2-3 years, I've noticed a growing trend in pedestrian behaviour, which I call "Darwin Award Wannabee Syndrome". Gone are the days of looking both ways before stepping off the kerb, and crossing directly to the other side, these days aussie pedestrians just wander where their mood takes them, and trust in everyone else to avoid running them over.

Today a woman with a 2 year old child in tow stepped out onto the road without looking (or if she did look, she didn't care that there were cars approaching) and slowly wandered at an oblique angle across the road, taking about 3 times longer than the direct route. She paid no attention to the screeching of brakes and tooting of horns, it was like watching a sleep-walker.

Here I am trying to teach the druidlings road safety, and (chronological) adults are undermining everything I say with their stupid, self-centred totally irresponsible behaviour.

*Sigh* I feel much better now, thanks.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 04:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Assuming those convenience checks come with a no interest/no payments for one year offer and you don't mind a temporary decrease of you credit score, deposit them into a high-yield CD and buy yourself lots and lots of beer when it matures.

That would be a great thing. Unfortunately, with those checks, interest starts accruing even before the ink is dried. I wonder if anyone actually ever uses them? I mean, the interest is brutal, and there's no grace period!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 09:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: don't feel bad for putting a stop to the abuse. no, they aren't your friends, they are leeches.

About the credit card, I'm a bit surprised. Well, regulation may be different in the US, but here in Canada, credit card companies have to get your approval before increasing your limit. If you can pay your limit every month, then you aren't a cash-cow customer, and thus they feel you should spend more. Good for you to know your limit, but not everyone does. So, feel free to voice your disagreement with them, and change company if they don't listen. It probably won't do much, but at least you'll have done what you can about it.

As for my own venting, it goes against drivers who don't know what safety distance is for, nor what a continuous line means. (Yesterday, I had someone try to right-pass me because I waited 'till the end of a continuous white line to change lane, and an 18-wheeler drove so close to me I couldn't see his front bumper in my mirror.) I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be safer to drive badly just like about everyone else than to follow the rules...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 11:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In America, it's all about the $$$. CC companies do anything and everything possible to trick consumers into overspending, to rack up interest or fees. My company just raised my limit...how lovely. Mind you, I'm about to drop them and move to another company because I'm sick and tired of that company's business practices (they bought the company that I was with), so it's their loss.

Regarding the 'checks' - they are just as bad as Rhonwyyn said, and the thing to keep in mind is that you can call up and ask to never send them again. The key reason to do this is not because you might have a moment of stupidity and use them, but rather that someone might intercept your mail, and use them...which would be /really/ bad. Needless to say, it's also a good idea to purchase a crosscut shredder, and make good use of it for such mailings.

/dragon-rant

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 13:31      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A limit is just that, though - a limit. You don't need to spend that much.

Some people perpetually live at their credit limits, though, like my brother. He's 20 with $0.09 in his bank account and about four maxed-out credit cards. My parents keep bailing him out (which is, of course, why he keeps doing it... I knew he'd be spoiled from a young age). Sometimes I wonder if he's the reason I don't believe in credit [Smile]

I feel your pain on the turning thing. Then there are those people who have an offramp but CHOOSE TO STAY IN THE LANE as they slow from 65mph to 10mph. Sometimes they don't signal at all. By far the most frustrating signaling thing someone can do, though, is to SIGNAL LEFT and TURN RIGHT, or vice versa. That almost got me into a few accidents.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 14:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metasquares __________________ Maybe their wires are crossed.

The ones in their head.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture