homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Back from Basic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back from Basic
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 19:36      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I'm back. It was a very challenging but fun 14 weeks away. The hardest part of basic was being away from friends and family. The 3 holidays where the worst. Labor day, Haloween and Thanksgiving. But I pulled thru and passed everything. And considering my career as a person that sat on their but for the last 6 years or so I did better then I thought I would.

Where to begin. Well first I went to MEPS, they did a final weight hieght assesment and then gave me a plane ticket and sent me to the airport. Flew to Chicago O'hare then went to Louisville KY next. After some delays arived at the little waiting room at the Louisville Airport around 11:00 pm. This is when the sweat started flowing. Everyone there was talking about all the horror stories they had heard about Basic. Well the bus showed up about 30 minutes after we got there. I smoked about 15 cigarettes in thoes 30 minutes. I handed the last of my smokes to some random person and the lighter. Didn't want to just throw them in the trash. We took about a 45 minute bus trip to Ft. Knox and are met by a drill sargent. He was really nice and we got issued a set of PT's and locked all our personal stuff up in our bags and they got put in a locked room. We where givin sheets and some food and then shown to our bay. It was a 44 man bay and we selected a bunk.

The first week I was there was just reception. We got issued all our uniforms, ate, slept and wrote letters. Nothing to exciting. After that week we where finally got to ship "down range". I got put in the 3rd platoon "Gladiators". We got our personal bags back and all the stuff we got issued and got put on the bus. It was about 5 minutes long and felt like an hour. No one talked at all.

THE SHARK ATTACK!!!! We get off the bus and have drill sargents everywhere yelling in your face. We had to dump everything we had out in the parking lot and we went thru all the stuff we got issued to make sure we had everything and then marched off to the baracks. Everyone was really terrified. We got shown how to make our beds and do our POS's. Pretty much how everything should look in our lockers and our shoes under our bed need to be arranged. We also locked up our personal bags not to be seen again till December 17th.

The first 3 weeks or "Red phase" was scary but we soon found out that it wasn't all that bad. Red phase was all about confidence. We did obstical courses and the repel tower. We also got issued our M4A1 Carbine. It's preatty much a smaller M16 and looks the same. We had to carry that thing with us at all times and that includes to bed. We would get "Smoked" or "Peeled back" once in a while. We also did PT in the mornings but nothing all that bad. Or at leaste it didn't feel that bad. Mostly just simple calistetics.

The next phase was White phase. White phase was all about weapons. We started with the M9 Beretta 9mm pistol. I scored Sharpshooter and missed expert by one target. Next was the M4 Carbine. The M4 was a lot harder mostley becouse you had to shoot out to 300 meters. The M9 was only up to 35 meters away. I got Sharpshooter in the M4 also. After we qualified on those 2 weapons it was play time. We didn't have to qualify on any other weapon but we had to be familar with some. So we got to fire the M203 granade launcher, the .50 cal, the 240b, the Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) and my personal favorite the MK19 fully automatic granade launcher.

Blue Phase was the start of the Motor Pool. We started working on the tanks and going to the sims. The sims where like a really big video game. It was fun the first 2 times but after that is was kind of boring. I much rather work on the tanks. The end of Blue Phase was marked with a really long FTX (Field Training eXersize). We took everything we learned and applied it. It lasted about 4 days and was a lot of fun. A lot of shooting, driving tanks, shooting the tanks, Urban Ops. We ended the whole thing with a 15k road march back to the barraks.

Gold phase was preatty much cleaning the tanks, turing in equipment and cleaning the barracks. That lasted about 8 days and then we graduated and now I'm home [Smile]

It's nice to be home. This is just a short rundown of everything that happened. I could write a book on every little detail but I don't think I'll be doing that. I can answer anyones question here if you have any.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 08:37      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, how imperative is it to be in shape before hand?
The reason I opted with AF is because I leave with a college degree no matter if I had a diploma ar GED.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 22, 2007 11:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and here I thought this thread was going to be about about BASIC. (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) [Razz]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 21:53      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
December 21, 2007 19:36
A lot of shooting, driving tanks, shooting the tanks, Urban Ops. We ended the whole thing with a 15k road march back to the barracks

So are you in an Armor MOS or Infantry? (I had a soft Signal Corps job. [Wink] )
One Station Unit Training (OSUT)?

"Back in the day," not taking leave during Christmas/New Years meant a lot of days on KP, Staff Duty, and Staff Duty Driver rosters. Was that story still the same?

quote:
December 22, 2007 08:37

Think of being in shape like camouflage -- Drill Sergeants notice stragglers a lot more than someone that gets in the middle of the pack.

If you can pass PT tests easily by giving 85% -- give 85% on your first PT tests.
  This way you show a nice improvement on your next PT tests (and the Drill SGT's get a warm fuzzy feeling).

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2007 08:55      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
So are you in an Armor MOS or Infantry? (I had a soft Signal Corps job. [Wink] )
One Station Unit Training (OSUT)?

Yes it was OSUT and we had the same Drill Sargents the entire time so it was like 14 weeks of Basic. I'm Armor but we still need to learn dismount procedures just in case.

"Back in the day," not taking leave during Christmas/New Years meant a lot of days on KP, Staff Duty, and Staff Duty Driver rosters. Was that story still the same?

They got rid of KP duty. We did have a lot of CQ and FOB reinforcement. They teach us what we need to know if we get depolyed. Gaurd duty is key at a FOB.

quote:
December 22, 2007 08:37

Think of being in shape like camouflage -- Drill Sergeants notice stragglers a lot more than someone that gets in the middle of the pack.

If you can pass PT tests easily by giving 85% -- give 85% on your first PT tests.
  This way you show a nice improvement on your next PT tests (and the Drill SGT's get a warm fuzzy feeling).

The program they have set up for PT is to get everyone to pass by the end. They don't care if you get a 20 on your first PT test as long as you get at leaste 150 by your second test. At leaste that's the way it worked where I was. And Ft. Knox is one of the Hardest to make it. For the Army that is. The Marines have it a lot harder. I was preatty out of shape when I left and got a 112 on my first test. 112 was the 2nd worst in my platoon. I learned by my 2nd test that PT is more mental then physical. I know sounds strange but it's true. True enough to get a 230 on my final test.

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 15:03      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you get to brush your teeth in Boot Camp?
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 10:36      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
Do you get to brush your teeth in Boot Camp?

Ummmmm ..... yes lol. Daily hygiene is considered important in basic. I don't know about boot camp. Marines and Navy go to Boot camp. Army and Air Force go to BCT (Basic Combat Training) or Basic. And they did a lot of dental work on me for free when I got there, my teeth look good again.

--------------------

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 14:37      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, okay. BC is just the phrase that the recruiter used. Wanted to sound cool :-(

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture