homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I have a friend...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a friend...
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 10:53      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...who's fed up with Windows and has fallen in love with OS X. The problem is he wants to install it on his PC. He has looked into all the specs and his computer can run the hacked version of 10.5 without any problems. I told him to install Linux instead but he said the features of Linux pale in comparison to Leopard. While I can understand his frustration with Windows, I don't think that this route is the best way to go. I was thinking maybe someone here could give me an argument to convince him to wait, save his money and by a Mac instead or you can tell me I'm wrong and should just let him do what he wants. What do you guys think?

Edit: I guess that I should mention that he's 16 and I am 38 and the relationship is almost like I would be an uncle to him.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 12:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CrawGator ____________________ Don't you remember when you were Sixteen and knew it all, and old people only told you what you couldn't do. Just down load the latest Ubuntu and when and if he crashes and burns show him a nice workable OS. It may not have all the bells and whistles but I have not been able to screw my copy up, it just boots every time and Has never locked up or screen of death.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 12:28      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess your right MoMan. It just irks me a bit because this is the first time ever he hasn't taken my advice. I always did tell him he needs to have a mind of his own. At least he took my advice in that department. [ohwell]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 13:33      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:

I guess that I should mention that he's 16 and I am 38 and the relationship is almost like I would be an uncle to him.

Am I the only one hearing banjo music?
 -

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 15:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n Vic ___________________ Nope I thought I heard the twang my self.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 18, 2007 15:32      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n, you're just jealous that CrawGator has a friend. [Razz]

*sigh* it's okay though, because I'm jealous too.

--------------------
Fresh Meat

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 16:32      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:

I guess that I should mention that he's 16 and I am 38 and the relationship is almost like I would be an uncle to him.

Am I the only one hearing banjo music?
 -

[Confused] Somebody help me out here. I have never watched Deliverance except for the Dueling Banjos scene.

--------------------

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted December 18, 2007 17:03      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAARGH!!! Now I don't just have an earworm, I'm sitting here humming it out loud!

Craw: My best advice is, if you haven't seen Deliverance, just go out and rent it. A little action/adventure, a little action/suspense, a little horror/suspense (I'm thinking about the very ending, here), plus Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty and Ronnie Cox (before he got typecast as the Evil Religious Politician)...

"Twanging banjoes" refers to the fact that the Banjo Kid and his neighbours were just a little bit inbred. As they say, if your family tree has no branches...

To be honest, though, I didn't actually start hearing banjoes until SOMEBODY ELSE mentioned them. [Mad]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture