homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Ummmmm.. Double-you. Tee. Eff.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ummmmm.. Double-you. Tee. Eff.
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 20:15      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a message on MySpace a couple of weeks ago from a girl I do not know. The message said that one of her friends was moving to this area and my profile caught his eye. She asked me to check out his page and let him know if I was interested in him.

Of course, being a victim of phishing scams previously, I ignored this message because I figured it was spam.

Tonight I was working the video counter at the store, and a guy I'd never seen before told me that I look familiar. I get this often, so I kind of waved it off.

"MySpace?" He asked. I said that I have a MySpace page, but that I don't really use it much. A switch in my brain was flicked into the 'on' position. I have had really uncomfortable, seemingly impossible collisions between my online life and real life. Dude only confirmed that I was right about the spam by saying that he 'checked it out' before he moved here.

Sometimes I wish I could just blend into the background so nobody would notice me.

--------------------
Fresh Meat

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 20:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ewww, that's kinda creepy.

You might relate to the next JoT.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
NetwerkGuy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2475

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 07:23      Profile for NetwerkGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very creepy indeed. I had a similar (slightly less creepy) occurrence when I was at a pizza place and had my black "No, I will not fix your computer." t-shirt on and some dude also in the pizza place recognized me from a posting in my friend's Live journal.. it was just rather weird. I had no clue who the dude was, but he approached me anyway.

--------------------
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 16:45      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky me that I'm still a young. But being tall does cause some akward conversations with strangers, such as...

The other day I was shopping for some new clothes. Old lady aproaches me and asks what my shirt size was? Well apparently her grandson was about the same size as I am so apparently I was used as a measuring device (btw if old lady is reading this - I accidently told you the wrong size, it is one larger).

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 18:21      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I always use strangers as sizing tools.

When I go shopping for clothes for my wife I usually put on a nice suit, head over to the mall, pick out a saleswoman who looks around my wife's build and ask her for size recommendations. I get great service, insider knowledge about what sizes really fit. and some sense of style that I am totally lacking.

For those of you guys who don't wear, ummm, buy lady's clothing you have to understand that sizes are changing each year. My wife went from being a size 6 to a size 2, because they've been resizing clothing to make everyone feel like they fit in to a 6.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 09:16      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
When I go shopping for clothes for my wife I usually put on a nice suit, head over to the mall, pick out a saleswoman who looks around my wife's build and ask her for size recommendations.

I wonder how well this would work while lingerie shopping, especially if you asked her to model it for you?

You know, just wondering? Yes, really!!

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 21:58      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lingerie trick only works in "St. Elmo's Fire"
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2007 05:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quantumfluff wrote:
Oh. I always use strangers as sizing tools.

Remind me to never be around you when you're buying condoms.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2007 12:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
I wonder how well this would work while lingerie shopping!

Did someone say Lingerie ? (NSFW - if you have humour-impaired workmates)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2007 21:30      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its probably hard for people to NOT notice you! You're such a lovely girl! And very few women can pull off being bald. While it IS creepy, try to take it as a compliment [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geek chic!

Posts: 79 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2007 22:17      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, geekgoddess. [Smile] that's the second super-nice compliment I've gotten today.

I actually haven't seen my MySpace stalker since that night, so maybe he realized that it was creepy.

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture