homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My corner of the world is coming to an end.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My corner of the world is coming to an end.
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted December 03, 2007 23:32      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SEVERE_WEATHER?SITE=KING&TEMPLATE=USHEADS.html&SECTION=HOME

I spent 45 minutes sitting in traffic today.

What's that? You say that 45 minutes is nothing?

I live 3/4 of a mile from the store where I work.

--------------------
Fresh Meat

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 23:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by erynthenerd:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SEVERE_WEATHER?SITE=KING&TEMPLATE=USHEADS.html&SECTION=HOME

I spent 45 minutes sitting in traffic today.

What's that? You say that 45 minutes is nothing?

I live 3/4 of a mile from the store where I work.

YOU LIVE 3/4 OF A MILE FROM WHERE YOU WORK AND DRIVE! [Eek!]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 23:48      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fat and lazy, and it's all up-hill. And the city doesn't clear the snow off of the one, very short section of sidewalk between here and there. I used to walk, and it was really just a pain in the ass.

--------------------
Fresh Meat

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 04, 2007 07:42      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a kid I had to walk to school uphill both ways.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 09:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did I, but I also went downhill both ways. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 09:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife tops both quantumfluff adn xanthine. SHe had to walk (or ride her bike) both up hill and down hill both ways to school for 4 years. ( Her high school was in a different valley. )

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 10:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got you all beat...

I had to find a way to get a decent education in the south. [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 15:47      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the laziest of you lot.. I cab it to work and from work every day. It actually costs me less to cab it both ways than it does to park at work ;/
Posts: 29 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 19:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF? 3/4 mile in 45 mins of traffic? Congratulations on burning a hole in the ozone. [Frown] (Hint: That's not hot. [Wink] )

I can walk a mile in a bit under 15 minutes at a casual pace. Uphill in a hurry would probably be less than 10 minutes...and probably do my body a world of good. Years ago I used to /run/ to work...~1/4 mile in 2-3 minutes on a particularly late day, with the only side effect being that I'd be panting inside for a bit...(and no, I couldn't sustain that to an 8 min. mile...I'd be stone dead)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 04, 2007 22:33      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

I lived in a cardboard box and ate cold gravel for breakfast.
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 22:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

I lived in a cardboard box and ate cold gravel for breakfast.
/me heads TFD off at the pass: =P

Cardboard? Looxury!

When I was a wee lad, I couldn't even put newspaper up for a shanty...'ad to make a wall from the pages in me schoolbook...and get up before dawn to put the pages back in order.

But we 'ere 'appy!

*coughs*

I'll get me coat.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 00:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Am I that predictable?

I s'pose I am, but I prefer to think of it as "consistent and dependable". [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 10:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Am I that predictable?

I s'pose I am, but I prefer to think of it as "consistent and dependable". [Wink]

Well, if you didn't reply, it'd almost be a strange as a lack of requests for arse pix from Vic, or come ons to newchix from AstroJedi. ;P

...or a disinterest in coffee by me - then you'd know the end of the world was nigh. [Big Grin]

On that note...I think it's time for some coffee...mmm...coffee...

--------------------

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 05, 2007 19:26      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got one!

When I was working in the Valley of Reeks (that's Sarnia, ON to you furriners) I'd drive to work in the morning (about 5 min. one way), drive home after work, then walk to the pub across the street from my office to have supper.

It was actually faster to drive to work (I don't do mornings well, so I was always rushed) and by suppertime the sidewalks would have been ploughed. At least, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 20:52      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were a couple times when (in high school), after school, I'd run up to my house, grab a drink of water, then run back to school, then drive home.

I actually started doing it after my cousin (a soccer player, go figure) told me he was doing it, but he lived like four or five miles away from the school.

I was only two, but it was a good enough workout for me. There was enough change of scenery that I didn't get bored, which is usually what stops me from running very long on a track.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 09:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
There were a couple times when (in high school)...

I was only two...

Seems kinda young for High School, but what do I know?
[Big Grin]

Howdy, nwnf.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 18:45      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode my bicycle to work and back -- today and yesterday -- in the snow.

Seems kinda fun to me.

Sometimes I ride my bike to work when it is not snowing, but I figure, "What the heck? Maybe it will start snowing as I ride!"

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 06, 2007 21:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best way to improve your balance is to ride your bike all winter long. You'll end up with better balance or a body cast. It's a learning experience either way.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2007 10:27      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could try a Segway? It would use less fuel and you could weave through the traffic. In commuting time alone it would pay for itself in a few months.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture