homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » 2005 BMW X3 3.0I Sport with a Six Speed Manual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2005 BMW X3 3.0I Sport with a Six Speed Manual
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 11 posted December 03, 2007 07:00      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traded my Gold 2000 BMW 328I in on this newer X3, I guess i am geting too fat and too old to get in and out of a sports car.
however out of all the cool options that are standard the heated steering wheel is the best. It takes about 45 seconds to get toasty warm.

I really really miss my E46 :-( .... I will post pictures later today

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 08:26      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Side image  -

Similar front
 -

-

--------------------

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 11:55      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice but I think BMW needs to stick too making nice sport cars and not family cars.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 12:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
baa, trade it in for a smart.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 4 posted December 03, 2007 13:49      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rolling on the floor laughing!!!

Dude i stand 6'4" and weigh as much as a smart...

if i was to get one of those i would need someone to grease me up to slide me in.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 14:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hal9000:

if i was to get one of those i would need someone to grease me up to slide me in.

You may have a new fetish in the making.

Big guys being greased up and wedging themselves into strange cars. It could be like that one where the girls are pressing the gas pedals in old American iron in high heels.

Instead you get some football player guys, lube them up and have them get in an out of a collection of TR-3's and MGA's

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 23:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hal9000:
Rolling on the floor laughing!!!

Dude i stand 6'4" and weigh as much as a smart...

Dude, I stand 6'4" and weigh over a hundred kilos. I drove a smart from Rome to Venice on the autostrada. It was great. Don't tell people the car is too small until you have sat in it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 4 posted December 04, 2007 05:30      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still banned from the mazada dealership in woodbridge.... i got stuck in a miata, the service mgr had to get a puller and remove the steering wheel on a brand new car...
since then i have lost about 80 lbs.
for my economy transport, i use my BMW K12000GT its very efficent, and lots of fun.

--------------------

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 4 posted December 06, 2007 14:52      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BMW of “This little town” is the location of this story. All of the events are true but the names have been changed to protect me from a lawsuit. Below is a rough timeline and my view of the situation.
It all started when I decided the xxxx was in need of a smaller more efficient vehicle, that “A” provided her and my son with plenty of safety, and “B” it needed to look good. I had already been looking on the net for a BMW X3 when I got a call from “This little town BMW and they had some cars they wanted to show me.

So I stop by and take a look at one and they agree to let me take it home and show the wife. She is pleased with the X3 but she didn’t want a manual trans, so I am back at the dealer asking for the same thing but with and Auto Trans.

Another day goes by, I get back by and the pressure starts, its 2 days before the end of the month and my sales guy is really putting the screws to the deal.

So I have them appraise my car, a 2000 328I and they come back with a ridicules offer of LOW BALL, I bailed.

The next day I came back to see about the overall price tag on the new X3 and it was still higher than what I thought it should be at, I felt that the appropriate price tag should be 25 to 26 K.

The bidding war starts. Bob the sales guy is going over all the benefits of what they offer with the vehicle. $1500 for this $1000 for that… I stop him and explain that its all great but, it is useless because it doesn’t change what I pay for the car.
So finally I agree on better number if they give me more money for my car. They work up the deal, I get to finance and yep its grand more…..

I lose it, I have been lied to. They really don’t want to lose the sale, so they agree to drop it another grand, My head is spinning in rage, and I am hungry and tired.
So the finance guy continues the paper work. Sadly to say at this point he seemed to be the most honest one there. Another plus for that guy was that the next day he calls me and got an additional point off on the financing.
So now I have a 21K bank note hanging over my head. So i head out, I stop eat some dinner and head home.
Next day I am going for a long drive to PA.
I start with my pre-drive check list, expecting this BMW that is Certified Pre Owned to be in tip top shape.
What I found was deplorable to my standards and expatiations.
I know that the dip stick to check the oil had not been pulled out in a very long time because it was stuck. So I knuckle buster it out.
The dipstick was coated in a film of sludge. Oh Crap I think…. I need to check other parts of the car.
Air Filter looked as if it never been changed from the factory and it now has 40K miles, the cabin air filter looked to be in the same sad shape.
Pull the oil cap. Its full of sludge too. Now I know I am screwed.
If the maintenance had been done was and questionable, and if it was done it was poor at best.
So I slide under the X3 to find that the filler nuts had not been touched. Because there was no wrench marks on them. So if they did the CPO then they should have checked the levels.
I am questioning every part of the car now, and have no faith that the dealer even tried to do what is right.
Rather I am now under the distinct impression they forgo what is right and opt to do what is wrong and dishonest.
Monday I head to the service shop, with my laundry list of items to have done, that are commonly recommended at or near this interval.
It needs the following completed.
1. Cabin Air filter replaced /Its filthy and appears to be original
2. Intake air filter replaced / Same as above, however I replaced it in fear of introducing debris in to the engine.
3. Engine flush (BG’s) / An extreme amount of buildup has formed on the head due to use of low quality high detergent oils.
4. Oil change / (Mobil one 0W30) For easier starts in cold weather, and it does not fall out of specifications from the MFG.
5. Oil filter / Because you changed the oil and I cannot trust the dealership on doing what is right.
6. Spark plugs / Cylinder 3 and 5 are running slightly rich due to poor fuel combustion, replace all 6 plugs with NGK iridium
7. O2 sensors / .Best practices dictates that all 4 O2’s get replaced roughly ever 40K to maintain optimum fuel mileage. Also its readily apparent that this vehicle was not properly maintained by the previous owner. An Intake cleaning may be in order especially around the valves
8. Transmission oil change / Best practice dictates this be done every 30K
9. Transfer case oil change / Best practice dictates this be done every 30K
10. Rear Differential oil change / Best practice dictates this be done every 30K
11. Tires need balanced or the bent rim replaced / Vibration between 65 and 70
12. Full explanation about the dashboard and the pillars, why is the cloth bunched up at the pillers?
13. Steering wheel needs the wrap to be replaced deep gouges at 2 o’clock on the back side.
14. Clutch or pressure plate / The clutch is either worn out or the pressure plate is warped, due to poor driving practices.
15. Power Steering / its whining like a stuck pig, and yes I checked the fluid level, its full.
So the service manager now has the list of items I deem important and believe that should be covered either by the CPO or the existing factory maintenance warranty. He barly gives what I am asking credit much less the attention it deserves.
He hands it off to another manager, who then turned it over the sales manager.
So I head in, as previously discussed and find the service manager, to find out, what they are going to cover, and what they are not.
In short, nothing. It’s all within specification. And I should have gotten a call from the used car manager yesterday.
Hmmm I get it now, they are very dishonest, are willing to go to any length to avoid doing what is honest.
So to summarize this to a very sharp point.
BMW Maintenance = barely acceptable and just enough to get you to the 100K mark then it will self destruct .
CPO= we will cover everything we know is not going to break, then tell you, you need to pay a deductable to have us fix it anyways… oh and if you did maintain your vehicle better it wouldn’t have broken in the first place. So whatever you do just half the recommended intervals to cover your ass.
Sales BMW of “This little town =Extremely dishonest, deplorable, underhanded, and will cheat anyone they can.
Service BMW of “This little town" = useless, uncooperative and only looking for an excuse to blame someone or something else and will do anything to shirk responsibility.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 17:05      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I hope you tossed some of that weight that keeps you out of Miata's around and either was handed back your car, or got some stuff covered.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 8 posted December 06, 2007 17:39      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put my lawyer on them, I also got the local tv channel spun up...

--------------------

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 10 posted December 10, 2007 12:59      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they called me back. they still are not going to do anyting.

Time to get the lawyers and TV involved.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 13:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that they tried to pull a fast one on you. Good luck and hopefully you have a lawyer with as many morals as a hillbilly has teeth.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture