homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Four days?! Do I win a prize or somthin'?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Four days?! Do I win a prize or somthin'?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 09:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another life changing moment.

As of midnight this last Sunday (Nov 25th, 2007 ) I have been without a cigarette.

So the math as of right now. I have

Lasted 81 hrs since my last smoke.

Saved about $15 dollars from not buying smokes.

Wished for the deaths of half of the county of Riverside.

And possibly gained 5 - 10 lbs due to constant snacking.

Now the last few days my girlfriend has been asking, "Do you feel good about this?" or "Don't you feel proud of yourself?"

She is a sweetheart, but to be honest I don't. I feel like I have had four very suck ass days.

I have smoked a pack a day since I was just shy of 14 years old. So I have smoked for 18 years, non stop. Nope I do not feel great. I feel like I lost my damn puppy. Smoking has followed me through three states, countless jobs, gallons of liquor, a wife, and divorce, and two kids. It was my driving buddy, used to take motorcycle rides with me. Celebrated post-coital afterglow. Has stayed up two to four days drinking stuff that smelled like rubbing alcohol with me.

But I am still gonna do this. I made a promise to myself this time I would try my best. And this is officially the longest I have gone without since I started smoking.

Fingers crossed.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 09:51      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First: congrats!
Second: Hang in there!
Third: if you need some cheer to get you going, don't hesitate - just ask!
Fourth: you may feel like crap now, but in a few months, you're going to find out you breath more easily, that food tastes better, and that some people don't frown away from you anymore, and you're going to be happy about it.

Now, having recently googled and wikied (a new word?) about neurotransmetors related to feelings of well-being, I would say this: nicotine is addictive because it increases the levels of endorphins in the body. Stopping all intake of nicotine of course create a drop in endorphins levels; and the cravings comes from the fact that some categories of food can increase it. But, there are other things that can increase the endorphins level, among others, sport - and sex. So you could get your girlfriend to help you swat the nicotine addiction by having more bedroom "sports"; not only will it help you about the cravings, but you will actually be burning calories too! [thumbsup] [Big Grin] [Wink]

(Well, yeah, you could also go for a run or something, but it's just not as fun, is it? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 10:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom __________________________ If you feel your self breaking down, STOP, GO BUY A CURVED STEM PIPE. Smoke the nastyest Cigars and pipe tobacco in the pipe until you have it gurgling good, tip up pipe so that the tar runs onto your tongue, spit, get some more on your tongue, spit, repeat, untill all cravings go away.

I quit from twenty five years of smoking the pipe by haveing the damn thing tip up. After gagging for a few minutes I never felt the urge again.

YMMV

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 10:29      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Now, having recently googled and wikied (a new word?)...

I like it... maybe "wikièd" would be even cooler?

Good luck Shroom.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 11:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Shroom go!

Magnificent Valour! You rock. [Applause]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 12:21      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Shroom!! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

You've done the easy part and decided to stop, now the hard part is staying stopped.

Sorry to be a downer, but you'll be fighting that craving for a long time. The best thing, though, is that one day.. and you'll hardly realize it.. the craving will finally be gone, you'll have beaten it.

But for now, courage!

There are other wonderful things along the way, though... in a couple of weeks your sense of smell will get better, and so will your sense of taste. You should celebrate that stepping stone with a nice juicy steak and a good hearty beer... really savor the nuances of flavor!

You can do it, I believe in you! You're strong willed (read: stubborn) enough to pull this off...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 12:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not be thrilled about it, but congrats on quitting, Shroom.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 16:36      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excellent stuff shroomster. Just wait til you notice your lungs kicking in and working again (supposedly around 7 days) [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 18:06      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, CommanderShroom! Quitting smoking was really difficult for me (made me wonder why I kept doing it over and over again), but I'm glad I stuck with it. Given time, you will be, too! You cold-turkeying it or have you chosen any crutches? I've always cold-turkeyed it and it's just not pleasant. Expect physical withdrawls for the first seven days, strong psychological withdrawls for the first three weeks, and cravings and erotic smoking dreams for a long time to come. I just got over my last cravings and dreams and I've been off the cancer sticks for about two years this time.

Promise me you won't become one of those self-absorbed asshole ex-smokers who gets in smokers faces. Those twits deserve every fist that meets their faces. I don't buy into some of the hype about the dangers of cigarettes. I quit just because I was tired of relying upon the presence of paper tubes full of shredded weeds in my pocket in order to have a good day. Now I rely upon a cup of coffee or three, instead. Progress in increments, I guess.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 20:20      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You go, shroomy!

My father quit several years ago after probably 40 years of non-stop smoking. (OK, he did stop long enough to sleep every night, but you get the picture.) I believe he used nicotine patches, and I know he started chewing gum. When I was still in school, before the patches gained popularity, my mom told me dad had tried "everything" to quit, including seeing a psychiatrist. I guess my point is that it won't be easy, so use whatever crutches you can find, as long as the crutches aren;t themselves addictive and self-destructive.

I've never smoked, so I have no idea how it feels to quit. I've heard, though, that finding something to do with your fingers, other than holding a cigarette, is very helpful. And the gum-chewing gives your mouth something non-destructive to do. If it's sugar-free Trident you might actually be helping your teeth. Yay!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 20:28      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Shroom! Good on ya for taking that step. The beginnings of such an endeavor will always be rough. But hang in there! I think enough of us here will be pullin' fer ya!

*HUGS!*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 01:18      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Congrats!

2) What's the big deal with smoking? If you like it, why are you stoping?

3) Nevertheless, congrats again.

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 01:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Commander - Well done that man! [Applause] [Applause]

You stick with it and eventually you will reach a point where you wonder why you ever smoked in the first place.
[Big Grin] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 01:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Shroom! Keep it up and good luck. I've never smoked, but I know plenty of people who did and quit. No one has ever said it was easy.

SS: I don't drink coffee, soda, and tea because caffeine makes my day better. I drink it because the withdrawal headaches make my day worse. :/

quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:

Um, maybe he decided he didn't like it anymore?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 30, 2007 06:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Shroom! Thrilled to hear it - keep up the good work!

LemonSmuggler: What...the...fsck? Grow up.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 07:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom I managed to give up smoking after many failed attempts using the following strategies. I offer them in the hope that one or more might help you.

1. Before you start think long and hard about why you want to give up, and try to give yourself specific personal reasons, rather than some generalised stuff about smoking and health. For example in my own case, the three things that motivated me the most were, first my wife was pregnant with our first child, and I didn't want to be a hypocrite urging my child not to smoke while I did. Second if at some time in the future I was to contract lung cancer, and therefore have a long and painful death, at the very least I wanted it to be tragic, whereas if I was still smoking I would just be a stupid twat. Lastly I had some little technobauble in mind that I could put the money I saved by not smoking aside for. They might seem silly to others, but these things were important to me and gave me some ownership of the decision to quit.

2. This was the most important thing for me that really helped. Like you I counted the days since giving up, but that made it all the more depressing when I caved in later on. So on the occasion when I made it work for me, I told myself that should I relapse it did not mean the end of my attempt to quit, just that I would start counting from zero again, and with a bit of luck I would get further than the last time.

3. If I felt a great craving for a smoke, again I would not tell myself that I could not have that cigarette ever, but rather that I would think about it over the next 5 minutes, and then if I still wanted it, I would have it. I found that five minutes considering what that cigarette would do to my lungs, against the very brief and insignificant tremor of pleasure that it might afford me, was usually enough to dispel the craving. If after that I still wanted that cigarette, I made a point of smoking it in a very conscious way, again considering while I was smoking whether the sensation was any big deal and worth the risk. Doing it this way I never got past the second puff before stubbing it out, on the two or three occasions things got that far.

4. Lastly I did not tell work mates or friends that I had quit, because they often treat you strangely, especially if they smoke themselves. Instead if I was offered a cigarette, I would thank the person politely and just say that I didn't fancy one right now. After about two weeks people realised I had given up, but by then the situation had become normal anyway.

Good luck. It's actually easier than you might imagine, and the nicotine cravings disappear quite quickly.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 09:11      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:

Get a clue!

Most notable sections from that article: 1.1 , 1.2, 1.3 , and 1.6

BTW, Shroom, congrats again! [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 12:57      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all.

I guess before anyone gets too up in arms at Lemon Smuggler. The way I wrote the post, it would make you wonder why I am quitting at all. I do like smoking. Even now. Damn I seriously miss the shit.

My health really is not the reason I quit. I surprise people that I can lift my 14 yr old up by one arm and run relatively quickly.

My main reason for quitting was because of finances. I am a poor man. And every week I spend up to $30 on smokes. $120 a month. about $1440 a year. That is a lot of money. Especially when you are behind on bills due to the effect of our "strong economy" that seems to keep people from paying for my tech services or place pay raise freezes...

So no I don't plan on ever being the 'holier than thou' I used to smoke guy. They annoy me senseless. I did this for greed. And really only for greed. I work too damn hard not to use my money on better and more illicit drugs than nicotine.

And as far as it goes. I have smoked a pack a day for years. Drink almost daily. Eat badly, sleep badly, haven't seen a doctor in years. My idea of a work out is pushing my luck.

Thanks for the well wishes I do appreciate them. The worst of the fits are going away. I am not shaking and my body aches are lessening. And I have only had one really painful craving so far.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 01:41      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Hey all.

I guess before anyone gets too up in arms at Lemon Smuggler. The way I wrote the post, it would make you wonder why I am quitting at all. I do like smoking. Even now. Damn I seriously miss the shit.

To all who thought "wow she's lacking some brain cells for asking that" his answer was the reason I asked. Because he seems to like it.
It was a question peeps, don't have a cow. [Wink]

But...if you do/did have a cow, and name it Bessie...I'll give you a lolli. [Wink]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 17:05      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we all need to step back a bit here...

Lemon made a comment in the "jokey" spirit I thought Shroom posted in originally - sure giving up the nicotene weed is not a laughing matter - but as one who still refuses to kick the nasty habit I applaud Shroom's grit in a) giving it up b) having the guts to make light of it and c) knowing that some gags are just that...

FWIW I have made more than one stab at stopping - and actually I always find the hard parts are...

Day 3... when the craving starts to peter out and seems to make a last cry for support,

Week 3 when somehow the urge to give in returns

and weirdly sometime in Month 3 when the idea that "just one" won't hurt creeps in (no matter how much you know that "just one" is the road to ruin)

Those who have done waaaayyy better than me also say that there is point in year 3 when you find yourself going through your pockets - only to find that you are seeking the packet of smokes you haven't had on you in the last 3 years..

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 17:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it with bad stuff and the number three?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 17:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of only one sure-fire cure for smoking...

drowning [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 19:26      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats dude. Its good you have your gf there to support you in this. Keep at it, and you will definatly appreciate it in the end.

But ya, as a couple above have said, put something in its place. Id say exercise, but that isnt for everyone I know.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 06:25      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
What is it with bad stuff and the number three?

It's not just bad things, a lot of things happen in thees.
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture