homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 22, 2007 20:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a ton of wood to split, and it is in huge logs... (remember that maple tree cluster we had cut down last year?) I tried hand splitting them, no go, these things are mammoth.

So I rented me a wood splitter and I'm going to be splitting wood for the next few days. I tried it out tonight... oh man it is sweet!

Powered by a Honda engine, can be operated in two positions in the traditional horizontal position, where the log is lifted to the beam, and in the vertical position, where the log is split on the ground. So Nitrozac doesn't have to lift the super heavy chunks. [Razz]

Here's a picture of one that is like the one I rented, sort of...

-

And that's your Manly Moment for this week. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2007 20:19      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fun [Smile]

I always wondered though if the ancient stone splitting trick would work with logs. Drill a few vertical holes into each log, fill with water and leave them to freeze. In theory the freezing water will split the logs.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2007 21:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
fun [Smile]

I always wondered though if the ancient stone splitting trick would work with logs. Drill a few vertical holes into each log, fill with water and leave them to freeze. In theory the freezing water will split the logs.

I think the logs would probably tend to absorb enough water and have enough give that it wouldn't work well enough to be very effective.

Those splitters are pretty handy when you have to do a lot of it. I've used one before, too.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2007 21:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me does a Tim Allen grunt... make sure you have fun for the rest of us who don't have such fun toys to play with. [Smile]

Don't forget the checkered flannel shirt. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2007 02:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy ______________________________ I remember as a teenager haveing to split fire wood. It was one of those chores that I did not want to learn. That some of the wood was split in the fall after drying and some in the winter after it froze. Dad had some nice wedges and a big maul for the chore. How he knew what wood to split in fall or winter must have been from his prior knowledge.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 23, 2007 17:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK progress report.

I arrived at work about 10am or so, after shipping a large beanie order. Splitter works like a dream. I split and piled about 2 face cords before lunch. Note, splitting wood involves rolling huge "bucked" log segments around. These are about three feet in diameter!

At 12:40 my trustee assistant Nitrozac arrived with sandwiches and tea, very nice. We then worked casually for the rest of the afternoon, with Nitro doing a bit of spitting, some piling, and a lot of watching. [Smile] And my mom also came out to watch too. I tried the Tom Sawyer technique on them, they didn't fall for it. [Razz]

So by the time I quit around 3:30-4, we had split and piled around five face cords or so, which is about an 8th of what is out there. I'm completed tired and sore everywhere, with that outside all day tired. (For some reason, working at a computer 6 or 7 days a week for 10 hours a day isn't keeping my fitness level up. Go figure! [Razz] )

Currently burning some of the nice maple in the woodstove. Expect to crash hard after dinner.

Back again tomorrow if I can get out of bed.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2007 18:21      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I speak for all the forum members when I say:

PICS!!!!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 23, 2007 19:17      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#pragma NOSTALGIA BEGIN

That's a nice-looking splitter. We used to have one that the local blacksmith built for us about 35 years ago. (My cousin has it now.) It was based on a forklift main ram, and ran off the tractor PTO.

Every once in a while, I'd get a [email protected]$$ block with a knot in it. The first few strokes, the blade would barely mark the block, but if I kept turning it until I found the grain, suddenly the blade would go in like a hot knife into cheesecake. If you do this, though, DO NOT stand to the side of the machine; those blocks can launch themselves a fair distance when the knot lets go.

#pragma NOSTALGIA END

Oh, yeah - you probably already know to stack with the bark facing up, to shed the rain.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 10 posted November 25, 2007 20:37      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldnt resist.... [Big Grin]

Monty Python Lumberjack Song Lyrics

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day.

Chorus:
He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea

Mounties:
He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping and has buttered scones for tea.

Chorus:

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers.

I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars.

Mounties:
He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars?!

Chorus:

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspenders and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear Papa!!

Mounties:
I cut down trees, I wear high heels?!
Suspenders...and a bra?!...

Just the Lumberjack:
I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear Papa!!

The Video

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 25, 2007 20:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, after two and a half days of back breaking, neck straining, knee scraping, mud encrusted work I ended up with about hmmm, at least 10 cords and a totally aching body. It was glorious. [Smile]

Here's the video...

http://www.geekculture.com/images/splitter.mov
(600 k)

Marvel at the mighty wedge!!

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 7 posted November 26, 2007 08:07      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All hail hydrulics and thier mighty power [Big Grin]

I recommend going to the spa now and have one of those Asian women work you over. [Razz]

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 15:00      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hal9000:
The Video

Your link is broken dude. Here is one that works.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2007 20:29      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

Kinda like going to a tractor pull!

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 17:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic ___________________ Tractor pulls got spoiled for me at the Ionia Free Fair, when an Old Steam Traction Engine outpulled ever thing there with only a FIFTY HORSEPOWER two cylinder engine, it also had a two cylinder engine for the power steering. I should also point out that it damn near out weighed the pull sled. Sure was slow but went right off the end of the track and headed for the gate. WOof, WOof, WOof, TOOT, TOOT, WOof, WOof, pitch never changed just the volume (Loudness) as the governor opened the steam valve.

I was told by a friend of the owner that a large sum of money was bet on the pull and the steam tractor owner had said "Where in the State do you want that trailer delivered".

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture