homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Brussels sprouts recipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brussels sprouts recipes
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 17, 2007 17:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathan and I bought a pound of Brussels sprouts the other day. I've never cooked them before, so don't ask me why I bought them. So now I need to know a good recipe. What are your favorite sprouts recipes?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2007 18:02      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're in for a treat. Sprouts are wonderful.

I don't know any good recipes, but I know they go well with pine nuts. And to prepare them you take off the outer leaves and then cut a fairly deep cross into the bottom of them.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 03:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn _____________________________ Steamed, boiled with brocoli & califlower. Start a pot roast in in the slow cooker in the morning then an hour to ninety minutes before serving throw in the veggies and maybe some cut up potatoes. We call them baby cabbages.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 04:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn

I implore you - do not listen to these mad fools. Do not eat the sprouts, throw the sprouts away. They are harvested from inside the Devil's nostrils and are unfit for human consumption!

Well, maybe not literally - but they seem that bad to me. Do you know about the chemical??? Many of the Brassica family contain an unpleasant chemical....some people are genetically pre-disposed towards an ability to detect the chemical and therefore hate sprouts. Others are unable to detect the chemical and they think sprouts taste lovely.

If you are serving them as a side vegetable, a popular recipe involves boiling them or steaming them but leaving them a little crunchy, and them frying off some chopped bacon in butter and then adding the sprouts to the bacon pan. Stir it all up and then turn the mixture out into a heated bowl to take to the table.

Best of luck! [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 10:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash, brussels sprouts contain hydrogen sulfide. Cooking them gets out the chemical, but I read in a Washington Post article that even cooking for two minutes too long actually doubles the amount of hydrogen sulfide in the sprouts.

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 12:38      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie - I'm not surprised that sprouts contain hydrogen sulphide, it's just more evidence that they are evil. [Wink]

However, I don't think this is the 'sprouty' chemical we were taught about in school. Pieces of blotting paper dosed with the chemical (the name of which I have tried hard to remember) were passed round and we all had to suck a piece. Those who could detect the chemical reacted strongly to the foul taste.

It might only be anecdotal evidence against hydrogen sulphide being the culprit, but I know several people who like sprouts but don't like the 'rotten eggs' smell which is characteristic of hydrogen sulphide.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 13:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa... that's a cool experiment you guys did. I vaguely remember doing something similar in school. I forget what it was called, too, or even if I could detect the bitterness. I'm thinking a Google search is due!

ETA: Nature News had an article, but I don't have a membership there. Instead, here's a summary of that article (I think): http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2006/09/hey_kids_heres.html

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 13:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK.....here is what you do:

Buy fresh, not frozen sprouts. Steam them, boiling them is tempting and very british and it just ruins most food.

When they are almost done throw a big hunk (1/2 cup or a bit more) of butter (not margarine) in a hot sauce pan. Once it starts to bubble you'll notice the butter gets a tad frothy, this is good and the moisture is being release. The tricky part is not burning it but just let it turn a deep golden brown and throw in a couple of table spoons of frozen concentrated OJ. Stir. Dump the sprouts into the sauce pan and stir so they are covered with the butter/orange glaze. You may have to drain some of the glaze off them. Serve.

You can do a similar dish with steamed baby carrots substituting honey for OJ.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 15:26      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh.. sprouts. When I was little I used to feed them to my dog under the table. Even then I had to slather them with ketchup to get him to eat them.

Nowadays for something different:
- Try roasting them in a pan with other vegetables and cloves of garlic

- Shred them and mix them in with mashed potato for vegetable pancakes

- To BBQ them, soak them in soy sauce briefly, then wrap in a rasher of bacon or pancetta each and BBQ/grill.

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 14:10      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost my taste for this "food" item, but here is an idea to make them a little more palatable:

Sautee onions and garlic in oil, add sprouts and cook, stirring often, until tender (color will turn bright green). Add dried cranberries and cook for a few more minutes.

Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 16:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cut them in half and steam them. It helps them cook faster and makes the sauce cling better. Steam until tender when jabbed with a knife. Toss with a sauce of melted butter, a teaspoon or so of djon or brown mustard and a couple of dashes of worchester sauce.

mmmmmmm

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture