homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Hey, this is easier than I thought!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, this is easier than I thought!
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 13:07      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, yay, I'm finally back in school. Classes have started, financial aid is all figured out, I even just took my first midterm on Friday. This really isn't too bad (except for the whole getting up at 5:30 part, but it's either that or drive 40 minutes and then try to find parking).

It might be because I'm taking all lower-division courses this quarter, but this actually seems really easy. Economics (so far) is a cinch because everything has been stuff I either learned in my high school economics course or over the last four years of managing a family budget. Geology has so far been mostly stuff I remember from reading old science textbooks as a kid (with some more detailed identification stuff added in), and environmental science is pretty simple stuff about world population, water availability, and global warming. It helps that I'm doing the intro courses right now. [Wink]

This is definitely a good quarter for easing back into school. The winter will be interesting. I'll have to do my English course. [Eek!]

In the meantime I'm doing pretty well. Like I said, I just had my first Geology midterm (2 midterms per quarter, strange huh?) and I'm pretty sure I aced it. Now I just have to study for the first Economics midterm on Wednesday and my Environmental Science midterm next Tuesday and then another Geology midterm two weeks after that and the other Economics midterm a week after that, and the research project for Environmental Science, and then Finals! [Big Grin] 6 1/2 weeks of classes left!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 16:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 17:29      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome - what degree are you going for again?

* 8 more months till I'm done high school

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 18:21      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray for passing midterms! Keep it up and hopefully you'll be done in no time. [thumbsup] [Applause]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 18:23      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
Awesome - what degree are you going for again?

Business Administration with the Accounting option.

Though lately I've been thinking about adding a Mathematics minor. [blush]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 23, 2007 06:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work Peeb! So keep acing your exams; you'll get that diploma in no time. And then, you can laught at the face of those who tried to mess it up for you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 23, 2007 10:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome. Proud of you! [Smile] [Applause]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 14 posted October 23, 2007 17:13      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am rooting for you, however i wont do you term papers. LOL

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2007 20:36      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so cool!

I don't want to take away from your steam by adding news of my own to your post, but will add a bit of news of my own in another.

Let's say, your post is an inspriation for another "closet student" to come out of the closet!

Hoo-ray! Hooray! TMBWITW,P.

My admiration is true and heartfelt!

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2007 20:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, go ahead and add your own news here. It's bound to get boring if we limit this to things I'm doing in school. Although today's lecture on water management in the Netherlands was pretty interesting. [Razz]

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2007 21:12      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So should I mention that I have started taking classes myself?

Glad to hear things are going so well in school for you. Especially after the ordeal you had just getting in.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2007 17:05      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Oh, go ahead and add your own news here. It's bound to get boring if we limit this to things I'm doing in school. Although today's lecture on water management in the Netherlands was pretty interesting. [Razz]

Hehehe - of course the Netherlands is interesting.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 12 posted October 24, 2007 19:54      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
This is definitely a good quarter for easing back into school. The winter will be interesting. I'll have to do my English course. [Eek!]

Let us know how you do.

As for English, just post your papers here and the grammer police will give you a hand!

For an easy grade take film study, where all test answers are "Rosebud."

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2007 20:44      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
As for English, just post your papers here and the grammer police will give you a hand!

It's not the grammar or spelling or structure that gives me trouble, I just really hate writing papers. I do well arguing my points in a class or at least in person, but getting them all down on paper doesn't work as well. Part of the problem is that the majority of the papers I've been assigned before really didn't matter to me. I just really didn't care about the subject I was supposed to write about, and if I don't care it is really hard to force myself to put in the time and effort. I'm going to really work on kicking my butt into gear when I take the class though. It would be stupid to go through all this work to get into school, take a ton of classes, and have an English class be what keeps me from graduating.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2007 21:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Shouldn't that be 'grammar' ? [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 10:01      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean grammer like Gimme a grammer two of the pure stuff?

Or do you mean like the aged lady police?

My grammer is a police woman but my grampaw is a crook.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 10:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chesty wrote:
My grammer is a police woman but my grampaw is a crook.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that's just a story they made up to explain why your grammer had your grampaw handcuffed to the bed that day you walked in...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 18:48      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got my Geology midterm back today. 58/59. I may have gotten the highest grade in the class. [thumbsup]

Unfortunately one of my lab partners got a D. She was really upset about it too. I know she tries to understand the material and she does pretty well in the lab component. Fortunately we get two midterms and the lower score will be 20% of our final grade and the higher score will be 30%, so as long as she gets solid Bs in the rest of the class she can still finish with a B. I'm going to be helping her study to make sure that will happen.

I'm pretty sure I aced the Economics midterm too. I'm not sure I'll do as well on the Environmental Science midterm on Tuesday, but I'm going through all my notes so I should do all right.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 19:12      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Shouldn't that be 'grammar' ? [Wink]
See! Easier than speellcheck.

Cheaper than a proofreadyr.

lol

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 22:26      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that school is going well for you PB.

School for me right now is OK. Not spectacular, not horrible... just OK.

meh?

-goo

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 09:54      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quarter is over. Grades:

Priciples of Microeconomics: A
Introduction to Environmental Studies: A
Introduction to Geology: A- (I forgot about the field trip write up until after the due date had passed [Eek!] )

GPA for the quarter: 3.884

Not bad. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Next quarter's classes so far (I may drop one):

Math for Business and Social Science majors (required for my major or I'd take a real math class)
Principles of Personal Nutrition
Works in Clear Thinking
Fundamentals of Information Systems and Applications
College Writing

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 10:17      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job Peebs. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 13:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Peebs!

Be proud of yourself and enjoy he glow of a job well done - and then brace yourself to head into the next round [Big Grin]

[Applause] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 14:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Now go out, get really drunk, fondle the waiters, and in general make a complete fool of yourself!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 22:54      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on starting back! Last semester was my first semester back as well (I'd taken a year and a half off because I was burnt out from working 40+ hours a week PLUS keeping up a full class load.)

36 credits to go and I'm a college graduate. lol.

My classes for the upcoming semester:

-Abnormal Psychology
-Intro to Marriage and Family
-Radical Behaviorism
-Social Psychology

My friends have been joking that they aren't going to talk to me anymore because I'll be trying to psycho-analyze them. *haha*

--------------------
Geek chic!

Posts: 79 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture