homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Das Blindekuh Restaurant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Das Blindekuh Restaurant
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 05, 2007 14:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my wife out to a fancy, expensive restaurant for our anniversary tonight. The sauce that came on the main dish was so good, after I cleared my plate, I held the plate up to my face and licked it clean. I took my time to. Noone noticed, my wife didn't even complain that I did something so embarrasing.

THis was because noone could see me do this. This restaurant is an experience to be had. The restaurant is completly in the dark. No lights whatsoever. Your waiters are all blind and help you through the experience. They even go to the trouble of making people leaev their watches, cell phones or anything that produces light in a locker outside the dinning hall.

It was incredible. I was looking forward to this, and am not afraid of the dark, but as I was being lad to the table I really started to feel clausterphobic,despite the huge size of the dining room. You are in a huge room, but for all you know, your could be in a 2 meter by 2 meter box. After about ten minutes I got over it and felt ok, though many people come and cannot take it.

Licking your plate clean is not the only exception to normal restaurant rules there. If you want your waiter, there is no waiting for eye contact or to nonchalantly raise your hand. You just yell out your waiters name and they come.

Anouther wierd thing is the touching of complete strangers. Your waiter leads you around the restarant by you putting your hands on them as they walk. I flet this a violation of personal space but I guess if you are blind you get used to it.

This is a great idea for a restaurant if you know a bunch of blind people and want to save on wall decorations.

All in all I had a wonderful experience tongiht.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2007 18:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see the CSI episode that took place in a similar restaurant? Perhaps steak wasn't the only meat some people have for dinner? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2007 19:51      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard about that place. It seems a little gimicky to me. But then I just may be a purist. I favor flavor. Give me really tasty food and I couldn't give a rat's ass about the service or exclusivity of the place (... unless I want to get laid that night). OTOH, I will admit that I may be an exception, since some of my favorite meals were at a storefront falafel place in Paris, a tittie bar in Austin TX, and a restaurant in a small village in Hungary.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 01:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Did you see the CSI episode that took place in a similar restaurant? Perhaps steak wasn't the only meat some people have for dinner? [Wink]

My wife and I ordered the surprise menu. We figured out what most everything was but had a differing opinion an what type of entrecôte we had for our main coarse. After you leave you get to see the menu of what you actually had (as you are paying for it, you dont't have to try to pay in the dark.) Turns out it was entrecôte of springbok antelope. (or so they said)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

maxray
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10741

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2007 12:55      Profile for maxray   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've got something like that in Moscow too. Never visited it, though. It is part of some franchise, named like "dans le noir".
Posts: 12 | From: Saint-Petersburg, Russia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 08, 2007 09:09      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone notice that the CSI episode featuring a restaurant like this aired the night before Ashitaka made his post? Coincidental no? Actually I had heard about a restaurant like this before, but I've never been to one. It sounds interesting.
Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 10:19      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Rogers:
Did anyone notice that the CSI episode featuring a restaurant like this aired the night before Ashitaka made his post? Coincidental no? Actually I had heard about a restaurant like this before, but I've never been to one. It sounds interesting.

Yes it is coincedental, are you calling me a liar?

I don't live in the United States, I have never seen the show you speak of and I do not even own a television. (yes I technically could have downloaded it off of bittorrent I suppose, but I didn't)

Allow me to retort.

picture redacted

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 10:40      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Rogers:

Yes it is coincedental, are you calling me a liar?
No, I wasn't calling you a liar. If I were calling you a liar I would have said it outright. Did you not see the smiley icon I used for the message Icon or the sentence where I said that I had heard of restaurants like it before? Those should have served as great big signs as to the nature of my post. The only reason I posted this was because Rhonwyyn had mentioned the CSI episode in her post but not that it had aired for the first time the night before and I found that aspect humorously coincidental.

By the way, I do not care for the punctuation you used in your pointed retort but I will let it pass since you clearly misunderstood the intent of my post.

--------------------
David Rogers

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 11:06      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard about this through a Bill Geist segment.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture