homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » this time, I was actually in a car accident (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: this time, I was actually in a car accident
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 16:40      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sitting at a red light, and a girl plowed into me at about 50 mph because she wasn't paying attention. She even admits it.

-
 -
 -
 -
The pictures don't really do justice to how deeply the trunk is bashed in. It crunched in all the way to the back seat which is a good three feet.

I've been to the hospital and had x-rays taken and everything looks okay. I do have a sprained back for which I have prescriptions, but other than that I'm perfectly fine.

The car, on the other hand, is totaled.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 07, 2007 16:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch! [Frown] sorry to hear this, glad you are OK though, whew.

man it makes me so angry when people aren't paying attention to their driving! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 17:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
business attire ___________________ Actually because you were in a newer vehicle your injuries probably will and are less than if you had been in a "they don't make them like they used too".

I have been supprised many times by huge damage to the car or truck and very little to the driver and occupants, the crush zones really do work.

That said I would hold off signing off on a whiplash type injury for at least 9/12 months, I sure hope that is not the case.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 17:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that must have been so scary. [Eek!] Here's to a swift recovery and hopefully a new car paid for by the other person's insurance.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 17:33      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn.

Glad to hear you're ok. :-\

And since when are you driving a volvo? [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 17:35      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
business attire ___________________ Actually because you were in a newer vehicle your injuries probably will and are less than if you had been in a "they don't make them like they used too".

How do you define "newer"? That was a 1990 model Volvo, and had a good 17 year life. That was its first accident (and mine).

I always heard that Volvos were good cars for accidents because they have such solid frames. Now, I believe they are right.

OH- and I just got the Volvo one week ago, because I was tired of my Lexus nickle-and-diming me (or more like $400-ing -- three times) me to death.

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 17:45      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:

OH- and I just got the Volvo one week ago, because I was tired of my Lexus nickle-and-diming me (or more like $400-ing -- three times) me to death.

Wow. Crazy timing. You definitely picked a good time to get a crash-worthy car [Razz] (not to say that your last car wasn't, but just sayin')

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 18:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, biz, I'm so glad you're OK. It's scary to think what could have happened if you were pushed into the path of a car flying through on the cross street.

Definitely propitious timing on the switch to a Volvo. Those older squarish ones were built like tanks, as ugly as they were (IMHO).

Anyway, virtual hug from me.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 18:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! I'm glad to hear you weren't more seriously hurt.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 18:27      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! I'm so glad you weren't hurt more severely. *Wishing you a very speedy recovery!*
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 18:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me wonders if -ct- was ducked low in the other girl's car? o_O =P

Sorry to hear about the mess...I hope you make a speedy recovery. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 18:58      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one add to a thread like this? I can only reiterate what others have said... glad you're okay. [Smile] It's too bad the car got it, but at least the car did and you didn't....

To take a line out of the movie Crazy People: "Volvo: we're boxy, but we're good."

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 19:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch - luckily you are okay. Hope everything works out for you.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 4 posted September 07, 2007 19:29      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that looks like my car when a dump truck hit it. I am glad to hear your ok. you will be sore in the AM....
Volvo makes a great car, tad bit under powered for me, but the newer ones (2004 +) are really sweet.

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 20:01      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow BA.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Sounds like the woman who hit me just kept on going and got you worse.

I'm glad to hear you are OK. The next couple of weeks stepping out of your world to deal with insurance/body shop/car shopping will suck.

50 MPH? You are a very lucky person in a pretty good car!

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 20:03      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad You're OK girl. Take car of yourself, and don't overuse your back for a while (go lightly on the training). Give yourself the time to heal properly, and the pain will be gone faster. Oh, and let's hope you have some good real good insurance, not the kind that raises your fees when you've been in an accident even if you weren't at fault. (Are those kind still around, anyway?)

Take care!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 21:15      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow BA, glad you're all right. Good timing on the
"Boxy but Good" purchase.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 04:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
business attire ________________________ I am still going to stand by my statement. If we had been talking about this accident when your car was new, the other driver would not be talking. Early eighties and later cars started to be designed to have crush zones and if in an accident it became like a toothpast tube, it dispensed you alive while it became unusable.

Cars from the fifties and sixtys would have killed you as the seats tore loos and shot you out the rear window.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 05:11      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! Collision at 50 mph? :-o Thank goodness you weren't seriously hurt! I guess it really does say something about Volvos. Some karma you got there to have the Volvo whe this happened.

Hope you feel better soon after all this!

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 06:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, ba - you've had a lucky escape. Some might say it doesn't look like too much damage for a 50mph smash, but the rear impact has popped the front headlamp out... that must have been an awful experience.

And I would echo the advice that you shouldn't be too quick to say you haven't sustained a whiplash injury.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 08:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I'd say the damage looks about right for the impact... There's a reason why Volvos have the reputation they do.

Glad you're okay ba!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 07:00      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you are okay!!!! Hope she has good insurance that won't mess around but pay up.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 15:42      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are ok. I have a small word of advice. If you can't keep original documents have photocopies of everything pertaining to your medical bills and what they are offering for the car. Also if your medical insurance will pay for the recovery and you can foot your share of the bill don't let the her insurance pay for it until you reach a settlement. You will come out ahead when you present them with the bills for the cost of the medical treatments because they will still have to pay for the full cost despite your insurance covering the bulk of it. At least that is the way it worked with my accident.

Edit: Oh and make sure you are completely better before you even talk about a settlement.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 06:00      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree and reiterate the sentiments above, I hope you are feeling okay and I'm glad that you were not injured (any worse than what you are experiencing).
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 15:21      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me pour BA a very Stiff drink.

Glad to see yer ok.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture