homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Brand New Car

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brand New Car
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 20:18      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had root canal surgery. Never even had a single cavity in all my teeth. Only had two wisdom teeth.

So something has to give, right?

With me, it's buying a new car. Like a lot of motorcycle folks, I call them "cages", and in my latitude and longitude owning one is virtually unavoidable.

Buying one is a very unpleasant experience for me. The things have two wheels too many, lean into corners the wrong way, and turn otherwise normal individuals into raving, one-dimensional lunatics. You know the type?

I had to buy a car. Some of you may recall a little launch I had against a young woman with a cell phone attached to her ear who failed a driving exam. The launch happened about six hours after another Lindsay Lohan wannabe with a cell phone failed to yield the ROY and drove her car in front of my old car. It totaled the car. Oh, she'll pay alright, and more than "free anytime minutes," too. But I had to buy a new car.

Fortunately, it was end of the car season, with new models coming out. Great time to buy last year's model if you are like me and love to drive a cage into the ground (Cadillac Ranch, preferably) but since the Ford family hires Auto Execs with the same aclarity of thought as they hire Football Execs, the only thing the US car dealers had left were SUVS and "economy" cars with automatic transmissions.

Sooo with great reluctance I was able to find something that works and didn't drain the Taos Adobe fund too badly.

Brand new, 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 197hp K20Z engine DOHC, variable valve timing, six speed close-ratio tranny, limited slip differential, 17" wheels. BIG HONKIN' FRONT AND REAR DISC BRAKES FOR THE LINDSAY LOHAN TYPES. Low emissions rated. EPA fuel on Highway estimated at 32 MPG. A 140 mile run today took less than 3.5 gallons -- in sixth gear with cruise control on.

"Wouldn't you rather put your inventory money into a 2008?" I asked.

Off the lot for under $20K.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 3 posted September 05, 2007 22:06      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick A$$ on the new car, I myself have stopped buying new, i found that slightly abused and used was good enough for me to punish on a regular basis. this includes the pedel to the metal, speed shifing, and E brake turns. but the Bimmer has put up with the beating for the last 100K.
NEVER EVER buy a rental car that i have driven [Eek!]
the last rental came back with about an 16th of and inch of tread left on the front wheels from me doing some good standing burn offs. LOL but thats what the "Holy Crap, what happened?!" 20 bucks extra a day insurance is for.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 04:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the new car. I've only ever owned one car, and while it would've been fun to have a brand new vehicle, I figured it would be cheaper to buy used. Plus, the whole depreciation thing had me scared. (Yeah, I've realized the truth about that. Even if I wanted to sell the car I have now, I wouldn't get that much for it, so the depreciation-on-a-new-car argument is moot.) Still, it would be fun sometime to buy a brand new car.

Was it Skylar or Stereo who bought a Smart car? I saw one on the highway the other day and pretty much just flipped out about it. It was so cute!! And so unexpected. I wonder where he got it. If they're available in PA, I'd be tempted to buy one - I wonder if they'd take my 2001 Nissan Altima GXE as a trade in? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 06:01      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooo, Very nice dude. Ya Im always on my bike (self powered, not a harley [Frown] ) and always haveing fun with traffic sometimes as well, so I know how you are. Good Luck in court with the chick and the ins. companies.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 06:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Was it Skylar or Stereo who bought a Smart car? I saw one on the highway the other day and pretty much just flipped out about it. It was so cute!! And so unexpected. I wonder where he got it. If they're available in PA, I'd be tempted to buy one - I wonder if they'd take my 2001 Nissan Altima GXE as a trade in? [Wink]

I'm the one with the smart car. And they are coming to the US next year, so if you want to try the "brand new car" experience, stay tuned! [Big Grin] (I know people usually complain that it is feels unsafe, or it is too expensive; but the safety is much better than entry-level cars, you get better comfort, it is well thought, well built, and then factor in the fuel economy - and the head-turning factor if you are so inclined - and it is well worth its price!)

Oh, and CP, sorry you hate buying cars so much, and I hope you won't find your new acquisition too much of trouble for the price. Honda cars have a long life expenctancy, so unless you get another bad driver encounter, you shouldn't have to do it again for a good 8-10 years.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 15:10      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the new car.

I as well have aquired a new used car a couple weeks ago. A 2005 Ford Focus sport edition. I'm suprised how well it is doing on fuel (250km on half a tank of gas). And it handles so much better then the 98' minivan and it sounds so nice going from 0 - 90 km.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 18:14      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright! That's happy news about your new car [Smile] My roommate just got a new car that they constantly talk about... but you're not my roommate so I'm happy for you! Yay new car!
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 19:07      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP - Congrats on the new car. And what you said makes sense now with the back story. Don't worry... I haven't really driven since that day and especially not while using a cell phone.

Wingless... Don't make grammatical corrections in other people's posts when you don't bother to use proper grammar yourself. Just a word of advice.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 19:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everybody!

Rhonnie, I understand what you mean about depreciation. I thought that way for a couple of years, until I returned to school in the late 70s and had a job at UPS -- 4:00 AM Dawn Patrol. They didn't take too kindly to employees not showing up because of car problems. They figured they paid me enough to have a good car.

For a year I just rode a bike in the dark to get to work. I rented when I needed a car. That helped me save for my very first brand-new vehicle: a chevy short-bed pickup truck. Having one on campus meant I could make a lot of money hauling student belongings during semester breaks. Gas mileage wasn't that good, and energy crises, part I was not treating my student budget too well.

So I bought a cheap Ford. One a decade -- this last one was supposed to last 3 more years. It had seven years on it already.

Most of the time I ride my bicycle or motorcycle. So an automobile is a real stretch. I could have bought 2 Buells for the cost of this thing.

I like the Smart Car. And the Focus is a good car, too. But end of season meant nothing but auto trannys -- YUCK! Might as well buy a used war from Dick Cheney!

I felt lucky to find this car. I love the 8K red line -- this thing whines like a room full Republicans having to take responsibility for themselves. Wow!

As for the young lady, she was making a turn to go to beach row, where 50' of lake view goes for $2-million plus. Here, deep in righty-held territory, punishment might be as harsh as being grounded from Daddy's Gold Card for all of six minutes -- OK maybe five.

I do like the car. It's cheap thrills -- my kinda gal.

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 09:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like a wonderful car. And it is true that with a Honda, you won't face the ordeal again soon. You didn't answer the girlie question...what colour is it??
I bought my Saturn new in 1994 and it is still hanging in there. Doubt I'll ever have the money to buy new again, but I'd love a hybrid. A friend has one and it is lovely.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 20:04      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adi,

It is red, get-out-of-my-way, hand-me-a-ticket red.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture