homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Too much work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too much work
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 18:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As evidence of being overworked lately, I submit to you, fellow geeks, the evidence that I completely missed the news of the new Apple products today! ;P

Thanks to the keen eyes of sosumi, whilst I was busily hacking away at some crappy code*, I spied e-mail from her, remembered what the buzz on the Intarwebs has been about for the past week, and checked apple.com.

Shiny.

I already liked the Nano, but now I think I really want one. In fact, I think my work should get a batch of them for my coworkers & I. The lot of us worked 11-12 days straight over the past fortnight, and that's just nutty.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 18:13      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been eyeing the nano e'er since its debut. Mayhap it's time to do some touching, too!
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 4 posted September 05, 2007 20:24      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really like to get that mp4 copy protection cracked. the Hymm project seems to be dead for now. oh well

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 21:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hal9000:
I would really like to get that mp4 copy protection cracked. the Hymm project seems to be dead for now. oh well

It's not a perfect option, but you can pay Apple the extra $0.30 for DRM-free music...

The only .m4p tracks I have are free downloads (either totally free, or codes donated to me by friends) and from a gift certificate or two. I can survive without those tracks if I had to...the rest is all MP3 and .m4a (and while n/a for Apple...a bunch of Oggs! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 21:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new nanos are very pretty, but I'm still digging my sporty red one. I took it up Denali with me. The earbuds didn't survive the trip, but the nano didn't even get its screen scratched. I can't get rid of it now!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 22:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
The new nanos are very pretty, but I'm still digging my sporty red one. I took it up Denali with me. The earbuds didn't survive the trip, but the nano didn't even get its screen scratched. I can't get rid of it now!

You could splurge and buy a new one to abuse, and give me the old one to let it live out the rest of its natural life in a mild environment. [Wink]

Just a thought. [Razz]

Or really...anyone bored with an iPod that's in good shape that wants to upgrade...I won't be /too/ picky. [Razz]

But honestly...I don't support the 'red' BS...so I guess I'll just have to suffer without a well used Nano. =P

/me collapses for the night

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 23:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you're not the one who bought it. [Razz] Aside from the warm fuzzies I got from being charitable in my self-indulgence, I also thought the red ones were the prettiest of the bunch.

That said, I'm not giving up my nano. It's working well, it's not that much worse for wear, and I took advantage of the free engraving offer and got my initials carved into the back (this proved to be smart - one of my labmates also has a red nano, and since the lab stereo has an iPod dock and almost all of us have iPods and queue them up near the dock, there's a massive iscrew-up just waiting to happen). So there. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 04:15      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tempted to upgrade, but there are a few concerns. I'm used to carrying everything around with me. I'm not sure I'd want to go to only 16GB.
I use a remote with my current ipod and love it. Will the new ipod have a remote?

I was ready to buy a macbook for surfing in front of the telly and mobile presentations. I'm considering the ipod instead now, but what video outputs are there for connecting to video projectors, and can you use a dock with remote to advance pictures in a presentation? - I was never too bothered about the whizzy animations in many presentations.

I'm sure most of these can be answered without too much hassle. I'm probably going to be visiting the apple store at the weekend anyway!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 14:32      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so... I'm the only one who absolutely despises the new nanos? Fair Enough.
I am pretty glad about the iPhone price drop, one more reason for my parents to buy me one for my birthday. Ya think 10 days is too short a notice?

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 18:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: The charity of the 'red' thing is almost non-existant...that's my chief gripe with it. It's a lovely notion, but it's almost useless...direct gifts to charities do the most good, and they don't have the side effect of bragging rights.

I should add that in Apple's case, they are charging the same amount for the red one as the others, so in effect, they are actually giving away a piece ($5!!!!) of their massive profits, which is a hell of a lot better than most of the people in the scheme...but it still all rubs me the wrong way.

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 23:22      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dman - I take your point about the product(RED) thing being a relatively ineffective form of charitable giving, but here's a thought....

I reckon that there must be people out there for whom buying the RED option is the only charitable donation they make. So that makes it a worthwhile scheme, even though it wouldn't be my option, I think.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture