homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Going on a motorcycle trip to NC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going on a motorcycle trip to NC
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 23:03      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say i will be off line while i take the bike on a 1000 mile journy down the east coast.

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 05:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!

Have a safe trip and hit a few switchbacks for me.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 06:14      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While you are in NC, head west and hit the Tail of the Dragon!

What's an extra 500 miles or so when you have that road to hit?

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 08:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh. The Alpha and Omega of Motorcycle roads. Someday I will get to stomp around on the Tail of the Dragon.

If you do take that detour, I have heard they have stepped up patrols on it recently.

Until I get play on that set of twists and turns. I will have to satisfy myself by doing some So-Cal lane splitting.

Red sportbike, 50 MPH, bouncing on Botts dots. Thumpity thump thump. Diving in between soccer moms and Nascar dads on their morning park between Perris and Riverside. Sucking on Starbucks and listening to 97.1, so they can have an opinion about the world, even if it's someone else's.

Rolling into the thick of zombified office drones in their steel cages of death. As they navigate the freeway like they are commandeering calligraphy pens. I am alive, I am obnoxious, I am barreling along the white lines scuffing rear view mirrors. Drive on you So-cal cubicle sheep, drive on.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 09:03      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to stop by in Raleigh and say hi

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 14 posted September 02, 2007 18:36      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow what a trip, i just threw some pictures together HERE sorry i didnt put music to it. 16Mb

Now i have a new problem, the sides of my tires are more worn than the middle.

It was a blast, I will be doing it again before the weather gets colder. This time i am camping at the motorcycle parks.

If you want some of the High Res versions of the pics just let me know.

--------------------

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 05:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn man, I love that part of the country.

You know I really like looking at the big tall bush things. I think they are called... trees?

Sweet ride man, I am definitely jealous.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Michael (slowmike) Lee
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 15:55      Profile for Michael (slowmike) Lee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hal: If you are doing longer trips, I'd keep an extra set of wheels and tires to swap back and forth. I have a set of Pilot Roads for commuting, Pilot 2CT's for canyons and Pilot Race Mediums for track action. If your current tires are worn in the middle, you should ride them really hard and work off the sides too. :-)

Cmdr Shroom: Do you ever go out to the canyons? You're not that from from me. Any other bikers on here?

--------------------
-
Michael Lee

Posts: 4 | From: Hacienda Heights | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 16:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey slowmike and welcome,

I never played around the canyons in OC or LA. Been invited on a few occasions, but normally I stick to Riverside and San Bernandino or places east.

I know that there are a couple of riders on here. They may speak up here in a bit.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 17:49      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I -wish- I had a motorcycle. Or five.
Michael (slowmike) Lee
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 23:03      Profile for Michael (slowmike) Lee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do it, get a bike. You live just once. You might as well live having done what you like.

--------------------
-
Michael Lee

Posts: 4 | From: Hacienda Heights | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 08:09      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael (slowmike) Lee:
You live just once.

Unless you're Buddhist. Then you get a few extra turns. [Razz]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 14 posted September 05, 2007 09:56      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust me anything with two wheels is cool. Please remember this small bit of advice.

A motorcycle is like a woman, be nice to her and respect her, because the second you push her too hard you will find yourself in a world of hurt.

A good helmet and jacket should run you about 400 to 600 bucks.
I ride every day to work and sometimes I just take the long way home thru west Virginia. I guess that would make more sense if you knew I worked in DC and Lived in VA. [Cool]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 10:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this good helmet and jacket thing?

Are you implying the my $30 dollar skidlid and $20 field jacket are not proper riding gear?

If you want to be safe, buy a Volvo. [Wink]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture